Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

When you register for an account you will see the following message -Due to the amount of "spammers" trying to get on the board all registrations must be approved by me. What this means is that after you register your registration must be authorized. Also your email address has to be verified, you will receive an email with a link YOU MUST CLICK ON THIS LINK TO VERIFY YOUR EMAIL OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE APPROVED. I check the message board several times a day and approve registrations as they come in. Sorry for the wait but it is necessary to keep the spam off the boards.Thanks,Koz It is very important that you click on the link in the email to validate your email. Please check your spam folder as the email message may be sent there by your email provider. IF YOU DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK YOUR ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE APPROVED !!!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Snow in Utah, grooming with Big Red
Topic Started: Dec 29 2012, 09:46 AM (1,962 Views)
PCbob
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
We finally have decent snow here in Park City, no single large dumps but a few days of a few inches at a time has accumulated and we are in good shape.

The pictures are of our latest additions to a groomer constructed in house a few years ago, one of the first generations of what we use with our Range Runner and then modified to pull with a Honda Big Red. Pictures include 1.) of leveling snow in a drift prone stretch of trail with the blade, 2.) the control box that houses toggles for all the actions on the groomer, 3.) the groomer with our latest addition of the wheel kit so we can cross roads and turn around a little easier,4.) and a picture of the home made track setter with the latest addition of some rippers to soften old snow and reset the tracks (this feature has yet to be tested as we have yet to set classic lanes).
Attached to this post:
Attachments: big_red_leveling_snow.jpg (142.52 KB)
Attachments: big_red_control_box.jpg (187.04 KB)
Attachments: big_red_groomer_2.jpg (161.68 KB)
Attachments: big_red_track_setter.jpg (138.12 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

arly
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for posting a report and photos Bob. How is the Honda working for you?? Looks like you have the older version of Camoplast UTV pods on it. It also appears your implement is slightly narrower than your pod prints is. Does that ever cause any grief?

thanks!

PCbob
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
We like the Big Red for the most part. It is a little wide for some of the areas we need to groom but we get it squeezed in. The Big Red is 68" from outside of tracks, the renovators on the groomer are 64" wide and the combs are 84", so the machine fits just inside the combs. The biggest issues are going around a few sharp turns where the front tracks do not get combed out, but there is enough traffic on the trails the "divits" do not last long. Generally speaking it doesn't cause any grief. SOmetimes you can see the lug marks from the tracks meshed into the cordurory but that's about it, pretty minor in our program. We do several passes to track as much of the trail surface as possible so we are overlapping quite a bit on each pass. Our trails vary in width from 8' to 15'.

PB260
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Gday Bob, I like all the photos of your small groomers. I especially like your close hitched 3 pt. linkage mounted groomer. I'd love to see you working it some time and to try it out.
One of them looks like it has the YTS Snow Comb fitted and another has what looks like Fall Line Multi Super Comb.
What about this one behind Big Red? Is it Multi Super Comb with Tiller Flap on each side?
Did you construct the groomers to suit the combs that were available or is the size limited by the pulling ability of the towing machines?
Thanks again for the photos Bob. They are much appreciated. Be great if you can get someone to video them working as you go by some time.
cheers, :winter:
Edited by PB260, Jan 6 2013, 09:34 AM.

PCbob
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Good questions. This whole project has evolved from us trying to groom a number of urban bike paths and trails for winter use. We have tight 90 degree turns, 6 dead end turn arounds, and 9 road crossings. I used to do it all with a snowmobile and a YTS drag and roller. Way too much work so I had to do something different. I saw the Range Runner in a magazine and saw it had a 3-point hitch option so I was determined to make this work. So...the width of the groomers have been established by the width of the Range Runner and what I thought I could fit on our trails. The 80" YTS comb ended up being perfect so I went with that. The groomer in the photos with the Big Red is one I built for the Range Runner, which is 63" wide, and then retro-fitted to pull behind a snowmowbile. Then we ended up with the Big Red and needed something to pull behind it. By that point the groomer needed some maintenance so we did some adaptations at point for Big Red. This set up with Big Red will not fit on a lot of our trails due to a couple of corners so we only groom a portion of our trails with it, therefore it could be a little wider and needed to be for the width of Big Red, so we went with the combs from Fall Line with the tiller flaps on the ends. This comb set up ends up being 84" wide. I think it is time to build a new groomer for Big Red so I will make it wider yet so the renovators cover the track width and the comb and compaction bar will be even wider.

Here is a dimension breakdown:
Range Runner = 63" Big Red w/ tracks = 70"

Groomer
renovators = 64" compaction bar = 68" combs YTS = 80" Fall Line =84"

The Big Red could handle a little larger groomer but I think this size fits the abilities of the Range Runner really well. If I did not have restrictions on the trails I would make a groomer for the Range Runner that had 66" renovators, 72" compaction bar and 84" combs. I will make some video of the Range Runner grooming and get it posted, it really is a pretty nice set up. It is hard to make video when I am in the seat all the time.

Hope this answers your questions.

couchsachraga
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
PCBob - how would you compare the RangeRunner to the Big Red?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

arly
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
I'll add my 2 cents* :X ... I had dreamed of adding a 85" Ginzu to the back of our Rhino using a similar attachment as you guys mention, that is it could be lifted when we need to back up or cross roads. Replace its normal hitch with something that was quite short and still allow it to swing left-right following the machine around corners, yet allow a winch to raise it when need be.

* is it really worth that much?
Edited by arly, Jan 6 2013, 09:12 PM.

PB260
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks very much for the speedy, detailed reply Bob. I look forward to seeing more of your exploits soon. If I could get over there I'd gladly hold the camera for you!
:jump:

PCbob
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
More good questions: the comparison between the two machines is apples to oranges but here it goes...
Big Red - more pulling power, less visibility, better in deep snow, faster, heavier foot print

Range Runner - highly maneuverable (hydraulically powered), hell of a snow plow, very effective in leveling snow ( I'll post some pictures of some of the drifts I have leveled), easy to correct mistakes (lift the groomer and back up), can be operated just like a snow cat (lift groomer, work/level a section of trail with the blade, groom it out, or blade the snow while grooming, etc), the system with the groomer seems to do a better job planing and flattening the trail, I would love to build a U blade for it but it would not fit through a corner in our trails.

Arly, I have thought about building a lift for our Big Red to be ale to lift the groomer also. I think it would need to be gusseted and re-inforced into the frame of the machine as the lift would have to be at least three feet long for the groomer to clear the tracks. THe groomer we make is less than 200 lbs. and I think it would be a lot for the machine considering the leverage involved. Just my un-educated guess though.

arly
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Bob-n-All Below is a few photos of gin trucks which shows how gin poles could be used to raise our implements. Of course one would need to attach a winch to the front of the bed which would be pulled rearwards with quite a bit of force, attach 2 poles at the very rear which again would need to take plenty of down pressure. Etc, etc. Having worked in the oil patch finally pays off! B) The below photos show lifting, folded over and how this setup is used pretty well.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: example_a.jpg (27 KB)
Attachments: gin_pole_truck.jpg (90.38 KB)
Attachments: Winch_20Pole_20hauling_20Generator.jpg (69.73 KB)
Edited by arly, Jan 8 2013, 05:33 PM.

Boldy
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Bob - Thanks for all the info on the Big Red but I'm going to ask a few more questions. It appears that the only option for engines is the single cylinder 655cc, is that what you have and does it give you all the power you require? Which leads to my next question. Transmission - It looks like you can only get a 3 speed automatic with no low range. Is that what you have in your Big Red and does it labor under certain conditions?

We're getting some quotes on some side x sides and the Big Red was one we have a quote on right now.
$25000 - includes tracks, cab, winch, heater, plow.

Thanks
Rex

PCbob
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Boldy

The Big Red seems to do pretty good. I look at first gear in the auto tranny as low range and it has good power in 1st. It does tend to shift up a little too soon for my liking. I wish it would let the engine rev a little longer.I should look to see if that is adjustable???? Fortunately it does shift down from second to first when needed. I am guessing that top speed in 1st is about 5 mph. Just to maybe help give you a feel, I just set classic lanes yesterday for the first time this year and tried out the rippers I put in front of the track setter to soften old snow. There are 19 teeth that penetrate the snow about two inches. The snow yesterday has been packed several times, had traffic on it for a while, temps were in the teens and was pretty hard. I kept Big Red in 1st gear and it chugged along pretty good. I could feel the drag but it went and had plenty of throttle left.

I hope that helps. I do not have experience with any other UTVs for comparison but I would say our Range Runner would pull about the same.

PB260
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
PCbob, Id like to know a little more about the blade on Big Red and your opinion of its effectiveness if you have time.
Is it simply a straight blade? Its hard to tell from the photo.
Do you just use it only for levelling of drifts or can you use it for sidehilling/levelling of trails? As you do with the Terra Track?
Does it need to be a little wider to really work well?
Would it work with the extensions that couchsachraga has on his Grizzly blade?
What about Arlys wings or would that make it too unwieldy for the machine and also for your narrow trails?
Have you been able to set any classic tracks with your modified tracksetter? Do the teeth work well?
If you have time for some more photos that would help too. Thank you. :letsnow:

PCbob
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Hey PB260, to start on a side note, I too spent time in Antarctica...Did 5 straight summers in McMurdo doing trash, had a great time down there, got to spend a month at the south pole, fly around Mt. Erubus in helicoptors and c-130's, a month at Camp Sipple Dome...yea, good times

Anyway, no the blade we have on Big Red bites. It is just a Cycle Country straight blade. It was bought before we thought about putting tracks on the machine. it really needs to be wider and heavier duty with a beefier frame. It trips too easy and you cannot see it at all from the drivers seat. It does help to level drifts and level off camber trails to a degree..it's a pain to use but better than nothing. I have been contemplating building a U-blade to fit better and work better...just need time. It still will never function as well as the one on the Range Runner! THe blade on the Range Runner I actually use to blade really hard snow, like spring slush, in front of the groomer, which is a great attribute of that set up. I wish I could put a U-blade on it but don't have the room on one crucial turn on a trail. I really need to post some pictures of all that. I'll get on that, just need to transfer them from my computer at work.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cross Country Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ