Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pisten Bully 200 D - adjusting track tension; Our club just got our first (used) PB groomer. Can its track tension be adjusted?
Topic Started: Dec 23 2012, 01:21 PM (1,376 Views)
madsdyd
Member Avatar
Operator
[ *  * ]
Hi there

New member from not-very-snowy Denmark.

Our club just got its first grooming machine, a used PB 200 from ca. 1987, bought from an Austrian resort.

The tracks are aluminium, and quite loose. Is it possibly to adjust the track tension on this type of machine? How?

Kind regards

Mads Bondo Dydensborg

P.S. Sorry if this is a trivial question - we are very much beginners here :)
--
Snowmaking and grooming in extreme marginal conditions: Thats us!
Youtube videos
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randy Crosby
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Madsdyd,

To adjust the track tension you turn the both track tensioners located on the front axel, one at each track. If you look through the track between the front tire and the tub/frame of the snowcat you will see a large nut that should have a forked looking locking tab keeping the tensioner from turning. Remove the retaining fork by unbolting it and then you can reach in with the right sized socket on a long extension and turn the adjusting nut.

The PB200D is a tough snowcat that will last a long time but maintenance and adjustment are real important like on any piece of equipment. I recommend you get a hold of Pisten Bully and get a maintenance manual if you don't have one already.

www.pistenbullyusa.com

sno-cat
Member Avatar
sno-cat
[ *  *  * ]
In the manual it says that if you lift the track from the middle it should raise between 40-50 CM also it will look abit loose after you tighten it but after you drive it around abit it will be perfect Also count how many threads there are on each adjusterbolt and match each side so that they are equal,enjoy your 200.I also suggest you get an operators manual as well as the service book. hope that helps, Payton
Edited by sno-cat, Dec 23 2012, 06:52 PM.

DrZaugg
Dr Zaugg
[ *  *  * ]
Pisten Bully also has an Electronics troubleshooting manual and a hyraulics troubleshooting manual that are worth their weight in gold. Get them!!! you will be so glad you did.

madsdyd
Member Avatar
Operator
[ *  * ]
Thanks a lot for the info!

I have contacted Kässbohrer (through the contact form on Pistenbully.com) to try to obtain the manuals - thanks a lot for pointing this out.

Would be great if the manuals were available online, but I guess copyright rules this out.

Kind regards & happy holidays from Denmark!

Mads

--
Snowmaking and grooming in extreme marginal conditions: Thats us!
Youtube videos

Grooming12
Grooming12
[ *  *  * ]
It to am looking for information how to tension my tracks. Mine is a '95 PB220 with cummins engine. I asked Pisten Bully about manuals, and they said none are avalible for this machine..

PB260
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
For the old style PB200 if you kneel at the front of a track and look between the grousers to the inside of the front idler wheel you will see a 19mm bolt holding a formed metal keeper over the track adjusting bolt which I think is either 41 or 48mm.
For the PB240/260/280 if you kneel down and look between the front and second idlers you will see a 24mm hex head protruding from the side of the frame. The PB wheel nut (lug nut for you) tool will fit this although I prefer to use a 3/4” drive socket and ratchet.
I can’t recall for sure but I think the 220 still had the old style adjuster even though the 220 was produced at the time of the 280.
:needsnow:

Grooming12
Grooming12
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for that info, I mistyped earlier, I should say that I know how to tension the tracks, I just do not know the correct tension. My understanding is that they should have just enough tension, so that the sprocket doesn't jump?

PB260
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
If I recall correctly “Track tension is correct when the upper section of the track can be lifted approx. 40 to 50mm midway along its run.” (this is roughly 1.5 to 2 inches for the metricly challenged)

(the above is somewhat subjective as each of us has different muscle strength)

Once again trusting my sometimes faithful recollection, “Correct track tension allows some track jumping when performing extreme turning manoeuvres.”

The quotation marks indicate where I believe I am quoting from PB publications but age and time are not on my side.

If you tighten the track so much that it does not jump at all you will cause undue wear and tear on track components. :myopinon:

Operators should seek to minimise turning operations e.g. for repetitive dozing jobs go back and forth rather than turning around at each end

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ