Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
tucker terra tracks; track lugs seperating
Topic Started: Jan 31 2011, 10:31 AM (9,502 Views)
winterwoods
Member Avatar
Operating Engineer
[ *  * ]
Run it till the tracks fall off! :floor: YAH RIGHT!! Been there done that. Midwest Sno cat, would you send your wife and kids down the highway with bad tires on the car? You cant compare the two. $150,000 machine and the $20,000 worth of tracks start falling apart in 1,000 hours. Not all of us get new machines to run, most of us get used ones from guys that run em till the tracks fall off. Its just a bad deal that Tucker dont stand behind their machines a little more.
Common sense should be considered a Super Power
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

firecat
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
I agree! Run the track till it breaks? Hopefully it doesn't get jammed on something and takes out a driveshaft , etc. Been there done it ! We purchased a 2002 Terra and had track problems the first season. Al Schampers from Track Inc. took the track to Camoplast and was told it's "cosmetic" not "structural" :wtf: This is just one of the reasons our club went away from Tuckers!

Midwest Sno-Cat
Midwest Snow Cat
[ *  * ]
So we'll all change a skid loader track based on look? Same type of thing. Not a single contractor in their right mind would change a track unless it was completely unusable, cuts, abrasions or dirt getting stuck inside really isn't making them unusable.

That's all I'm trying to get across, too many people talk and complain about tracks and spend serious money replacing tracks.

Why not get another season out of the tracks before buying new ones? You may trade in by that time or we may have a winter like we do right now which means you wouldn't have tracks sitting on the vehicle that are brand new and not being used. It's just a way to spread out your large costs over a longer period of time.

This isn't about an argument, it's about guys able to save from buying tracks before it's absolutely needed is all.

my_nanc
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Midwest Sno-Cat
Feb 8 2012, 02:31 PM
We don't change our car tires, tractor tires, or skid loader tires and tracks based on looks, we
change them when they fail, or don't provide the traction needed anymore. Why is the sno-cat
any different?

Sounds like something a farmer would say?? when rubber is cracking or seperating it is breaking down meaning that it can fail at any time, people are just trying to find out why something so expensive that should have a longer life is breaking down, tracks on crawler are exposed to way more extreme meausres and hold up, i am thinking that this type of track just had bad batches where they were not cured properly and the manufacture sold them, "we got them why not get rid of them"
so i am in support to replace something befor it breaks, and adds stress on other components. Also the manufacturer should be looking at why this is hapening.

roady
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
I saw a brand new Terra last week that had a bad track. The bad thing is it had never been used. So I guess Campolast still has problems.

R/L GROOMER
Trail Groomer
[ *  *  * ]
This is amazing!!! I have a tracked skidloader I added to my fleet of equipment 2 years ago, I was a sceptic with getting a rubber tracked machine. I have 1125 hours on it with very little ware or damage to them. I don't get it with all these problems :wtf:
I would think snow would be so much easier for this aplication, or am I missing something here??
This is crazy!!!

Midwest Sno-Cat
Midwest Snow Cat
[ *  * ]
First of all I'm not thinking your skid loader has traction lugs of 2" and will work all that well at -15f or on ice or in deep snow. The terra tracks have to be a bit soft to make them work in the winter and provide desired traction. With that means the longevity will be a bit less then other tracks used mainly in different applications.

As for the argument of bad tracks. All you that say they are bad must be experts and should be working for camoplast or equilv. New equipment or not, run the damn tracks till they can't maintain tension, are skipping or missing inside lugs or have completely come apart to where they can't propel the vehicle any longer. If just one of you would try this you would save a lot of money and wasted worry.

Until then it's best to move onto better and more important subjects.

NH_Greenhorn
[ *  * ]
Midwest Sno-Cat
Feb 16 2012, 08:20 PM
First of all I'm not thinking your skid loader has traction lugs of 2" and will work all that well at -15f or on ice or in deep snow. The terra tracks have to be a bit soft to make them work in the winter and provide desired traction. With that means the longevity will be a bit less then other tracks used mainly in different applications.

As for the argument of bad tracks. All you that say they are bad must be experts and should be working for camoplast or equilv. New equipment or not, run the damn tracks till they can't maintain tension, are skipping or missing inside lugs or have completely come apart to where they can't propel the vehicle any longer. If just one of you would try this you would save a lot of money and wasted worry.

wow....I guess your in charge and KNOW it all then......... :myopinon:

Midwest Sno-Cat
Midwest Snow Cat
[ *  * ]
Been around these things since 1989 day in and day out and exclusively the Terra's since 1998. I figure I know enough of what will work and what really needs to be replaced is all.

I wouldn't subject a customer or my own club members to purchasing something we don't need and would think others should do the same.

600SDI
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Midwest Sno-Cat
Feb 16 2012, 08:20 PM

So you think it's ok to have the drive lugs come off the tracks at 700 hrs on a new $175k+ machine???
Then to get the replacements and find outer lugs with corners and sections of rubber that were incompletely fused and coming apart before they are even run??
These tracks are molded in sections and are experiencing lack of fusion at both the moulding seams and in the outer lugs.

DOORIDER
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Yesterday, 7:20 PM Post #52
Midwest Snow Cat

Group:Members
Member#1,955
Equipment you are using -
2011 Tucker Terra 2000 with mogul master 18-08.
Your Company -
Midwest Snow Cat Service
Club name -
Northwest Trails Assoc.
Your Location
MN

So your saying you don't have a problem with sending volunteers out into the freezing night knowing the machine has a high potential for failure?
I'd like to know the company you work for so I can be sure our club never spends money with you.
As for it being best to move on to more inportant subjects, it's only best for you. The expense the inferior tracks put on clubs could put clubs out of bussiness.

Midwest Sno-Cat
Midwest Snow Cat
[ *  * ]
Would you like all my crendentials? First Sno cat I operated, 1984 1342. Second 1989, 1992,2001,2005,2008,2011. Groomer coordinator, maintenance, trainer, and trail captain.

Just because I haven't been on this site due to conflicts of interest before doesn't mean I haven't been around.

roady
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
DOORIDER
Feb 17 2012, 03:57 PM
Yesterday, 7:20 PM Post #52
Midwest Snow Cat

Group:Members
Member#1,955
Equipment you are using -
2011 Tucker Terra 2000 with mogul master 18-08.
Your Company -
Midwest Snow Cat Service
Club name -
Northwest Trails Assoc.
Your Location
MN

So your saying you don't have a problem with sending volunteers out into the freezing night knowing the machine has a high potential for failure?
I'd like to know the company you work for so I can be sure our club never spends money with you.
As for it being best to move on to more inportant subjects, it's only best for you. The expense the inferior tracks put on clubs could put clubs out of bussiness.
Wow have you been gulping the Fool*Aid by the gallon.
Even Camoplast has admitted a problem yet you didn't get that memo LOL.
I saw a brand new track with a drive lug failure. Tell me what went wrong.

Midwest Sno-Cat
Midwest Snow Cat
[ *  * ]
Did they admit something? Post it here in writting there Chief. There was no recall issued. Select customers got replacements but most 2010/2011 customers (us included) were told to run the tracks, if they fail they will be dealt with at that time. They do not feel they will fail.

Plain and simple fact, believe what you will.

Camo did change the track by adding 35 lbs more material in 2012 production tracks but that doesn't mean they had a problem. They changed things to make customers as happy as they can.

roady
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Midwest Sno-Cat
Feb 19 2012, 08:05 PM
Did they admit something? Post it here in writting there Chief. There was no recall issued. Select customers got replacements but most 2010/2011 customers (us included) were told to run the tracks, if they fail they will be dealt with at that time. They do not feel they will fail.

Plain and simple fact, believe what you will.

Camo did change the track by adding 35 lbs more material in 2012 production tracks but that doesn't mean they had a problem. They changed things to make customers as happy as they can.

The name isn't chief and face I know alot more about what's going on than you do but your big mouth has shut mine up. Have a nice day.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ