Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bombi 1.6 Ford Industrial engine; Engine specs & oil bath air cleaning system
Topic Started: Jan 13 2011, 10:04 AM (1,503 Views)
vtcxc
[ *  * ]
I had an engine rebuild a few years back with my Bombi. Ford Industrial 1.6 4 cyl engine. The engine came back without the oil bath air cleaning setup. Just a small paper (exposed) cleaner from NAPA. In snowy conditions I am wondering how this may affect the performance of the engine.

Also, I am losing power ( yesterdays storm I was in 1st gear the whole time) and wondering if the point gap can really be as wide as .025. A mechanic I trust thinks tha tis way to much... suggests the match book method or around .018.

Thought son either?

Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Randy Crosby
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
The 1.6 in your Bombi most likely did not have an oil bath air filter, at least from the factory. Most likely, and on every one I've ever seen, it had the round cylinder shaped filter mounted horizontal with a prefilter housing on top of that. Both the pre filter and the main filter are designed to spin the incoming air to separate the solid partials like snow and deposit them in a trap that you then can easily clean. It sounds like your filter setup could either be clogging with fine snow particles or allowing the snow to pass through and cause carb ice. I really recommend you get the stock air filter back on.

The point gap is .025, the dwell is 48-52, the timing is 6 btc. The 1.6 is a great engine but it has been my experience when people put on carbs, distributers and other engine parts from NAPA for the pinto 1.6 then the performance goes down. I had nothing but problems with my first Bombi until I replaced the aftermarket carb and distributer with ones I purchased from the Ford Industrial Dealer. Expensive but well worth it IMO.

Depending on terrain, soft snow depth and the grooming implement you are towing, 1st gear maybe all you get with an occasional shift to second.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cross Country Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ