Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
tiller experience; use of a tiller for snowmobile trails
Topic Started: Dec 23 2009, 01:34 PM (5,131 Views)
arcticridr
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Cowboy sorry to hear your lack of snow issues really sucks!!!!!! We have had approx 10-11 feet in the last 12 days and another 2-3 predicted by Sunday! man we needed the snow pack for the lake (shasta) was looking really fugly. But its been hard to try and keep up I have had so much windfall/snow load fall it can be 4 hours to do a road it normally takes 1 hour but I am plugging away slowly but surely gonna run some sleds and saws out before the cat so it will go faster still got 20 or so miles I havent been able to get to for one it was to DEEp then all the trees down kinda pushed those roads to the side for a while!!!!!!!! Anyway hope ya get some snow !!!!!!! :letsnow: :letsnow: :snow: :snow:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sub zero hero
[ *  * ]
hey guys with our lack of snow have not been able to try the tiller but we did blade out the top trail of the mountain here is a vidion clip the second have is our small pb the big one wont fit up it http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=361286999991&ref=mf

arcticridr
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Video no worky!!!!!!! :oops:

sub zero hero
[ *  * ]
trying to post it to u tube them will post the link sorry guys

sub zero hero
[ *  * ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trGrOYDF2P0
here is the vidio of grooming the mountain the little machine barley fit looks like i wont be able to use the tiller at all trail is just to narrow :oops:

arcticridr
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Nice Vid, that must be the machine that has the blade wings welded???? Be careful on side hills , having those wings like that sometimes wont allow enough snow to run under your tracks and may take several attempts building a suitable/stable pad for the cat!!!!!!!!! Being able to open the uphill wing a little and opening the down hill wing with the blade kicked to the downhill will build a pad better and faster !! It looks like you handled it fine just be aware of whats under or NOT UNDER that downhill track!!!!!!!!! Good Job!!!!!!! :jump:

sub zero hero
[ *  * ]
Was a little tough had to back up a few times to make sure like you said the down hill trac has to have enough under it one mistake and into the tree,s as you could see trail is just to tight for the bigger machine , maybe they will let us clear some brush so the big machine with the tiller will fit . One thing i did notice with the shorter welded blade dosnt seem to have enough tilt side to side due to the shorter cut down blade. we have recieved 2 ft plus of new snow going to do it again this weekend. maybe have another vidio come monday

cowboy
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
I didn't know you could fit that many in the cab of a pb!!!! Looks like you're getting the hang of it. I agree with articridr, you might need more snow going to the downhill side. I personally like a bit of a windrow going to the downhill side. That blade looks narrow for that cat, is the uphill track riding up on uncut snow when you have the blade angled?? Might cause your tilt issue..Good job.

sub zero hero
[ *  * ]
no cowboy cuting on the uphill side trying to throw is down hill should come out much better next time up i did go up and back twice to try to flatten it a little more that trail grows in every year mabe they will let us cut it back a little for next year and will be able to borrow the tiller again to try it

arcticridr
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Yup having those welded is like having your hands attached at your elbows, :wtf: but good job none the less!!!!! I will take some Vids this weekend of some new nasty roads I am gonna open , since I will have another operator from down Kirkwood area I will have him do the vids or Vice versa since I may not let him run the New pb400 :floor: :floor:

R/L GROOMER
Trail Groomer
[ *  *  * ]
It has been nice hear there is still snow out there to groom yet. :scool:
Trails closed here on the 28 of Feb. Started to work again, parked the groomer and got out the excavator, dozer, dump trucks to put in septics again. Employees are happy, but I would rather groom! :summer:
Please keep the rest of the world happy by posting more wonderful info. :jump:

Randy Crosby
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Since we have several tiller experts here, I was wondering if any one could explain the purpose of the different adjustments on the Pisten Bully Stingers. Obviously the up down cylinder goes, uh, up and down but what is the purpose of the other cylinder that some call the secondary cylinder?
There is also the small cylinder on the tiller itself that as I understand it adjust the cutting depth. I have a couple 200Ds that I have used the tillers on before but primarily pull a Mogal Master. I just purchased a 260D and I want to use the tiller with, especially when the temps are too warm for the drags to work properly or when we get a deep dump of snow. One of the many misc. problems I am working through before I can take this new cat out on the trail :mad:, is the secondary cylinder won't work when the tiller is attached although it works when removed. I've read all the manuals but no useful info there. I have half the PB technical staff working on the other issues with me so I haven't got around to asking them yet. What the heck does it do or where do you set it during operation?

The season is winding down here in Petersville/Trapper Creek, Alaska with only 2-3 weeks of grooming left and we have seen the least amount of snow in over 30 years. Hopefully I'll get to test out the 260 before all the snow is gone.

icebox
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
The top cylinder should be ALL the way out, extended on a 260 when the tiller is in use. The small cylinder on the tiller is depth of cut. The top cylinder is to load the tiller further forward on the cat for better climbing and clearance in tight quarters. If the cylinder is retracted at all and the tiller is then set for deepest cut you amy overload the tiller drive motors and go over relief, and or overheat your hyd. oil. This cylinder is real handy for garage storage because the cat gets real short, so to spaek. But was probably the cause of more cooked relief cartridges witha rookie than anything else.

Randy Crosby
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Icebox, that helps out a lot. The top cylinder is fully extended and won't retract with the weight of the tiller so at least I could use it as is. I'll be checking into pump pressures next.

cappybye
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Our club just bought a PB240 which we are leaving at 11'4" wide (4 belts). We're keeping our old PB200 which is 10 feet wide as a spare and to groom our narrower trails. We're still only going to have one drag so I've been thinking of putting the tiller back on the 200. I'm also putting the original blade back on the 200 which I'm cutting to 11ish feet with hydraulic wings (we have or old PB170 blade on it now - solid wings). I think the second machine will be really useful after heavy snowfalls when the big machine is grooming the main trails the 200 could be used to open up the difficult secondary trails so the big machine could get them done with the drag quickly night or day. We have some very difficult country with some trails that can't really be opened up at night.

We got a tiller (centre drive) with the machine 6 years ago and never used it. I will need to cut it down to 10-11 feet but I have been told it's a piece of cake with that version of tiller. My first thought was to chop the tiller and make a compactor bar out of it but I'm having second thoughts about that now. One of my main worries is branches lying in the snow on the trail. For example would a 1 to 1.25 inch branch (healthy spruce) cause any problems to the tiller? Trees or bigger branches buried in the trail are sort of scary too. Also, where I'm not going to be grooming any hardpacked trails with the tiller is there much advantage over a good compactor bar?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ