Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
homemade drag/groomer
Topic Started: Jan 10 2009, 12:48 AM (11,942 Views)
TFox
[ *  * ]
Here are some pics of the groomer that I came up with. My awesome Father-in-Law is retired fabricator and has come up with some improvements on my design.
You can see that We will be using a plywood sheet for the drag for now until I can source some nylon plastic. Any ideas for that?
my prob is having to pay for shipping the stuff. I have also been to busy to really look around for a source, just trying to get this built 1st!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DSCF0894.jpg (1.54 MB)
Attachments: DSCF0888.jpg (1.52 MB)
Edited by TFox, Jan 10 2009, 01:00 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TFox
[ *  * ]
here is a pic of the hitch and the pipe we cut for the "comb"
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DSCF0889.jpg (1.48 MB)
Attachments: DSCF0891.jpg (1.54 MB)

TFox
[ *  * ]
1st pic is of the "rake" that we are making it is going to attach at the angle change plate (2nd pic) we will be adding more fingers (re-bar) in-between the existing ones.
and then the 2nd pic you can see how we will be able to change the angle of the drag.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: DSCF0897.jpg (1.52 MB)
Attachments: DSCF0890.jpg (1.55 MB)

tolson
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
That's a pretty decent design, and a good starting point that you can continue to add on too and improve. I would recommend you take a belt sander and smooth any rough spots on the 'down' side of the plywood and then give it a couple coats of paint. That will make it much smoother and keep the snow from sticking too it.

For plastic, I've used UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) and HDMW (High Density Molecular Weight) Plastic. I get it from Mid Land Plastic - www.midlandplastic.com - but you can probably find a supplier in your area.

UHMW is what's on the bed of the Tidd Tech Trail Tenderizer. Extremely tough and flexible, even below zero. Doesn't crack - it bends and springs back.
HDMW is not quite as tough or flexible, but a lot cheaper. Works great where it is supported on all edges.

Both can be heated with a heat gun and bent if needed.

My first 'teeth' were made out of 7" nails - about the same diameter as your rebar. They worked ok to mix up loose snow and scratch the surface of a hard trail, but they were too thick to really renovate a hard trail. You really need thinner 'knife' like teeth to renovate a hard trail.

If the rake is attached at the angle change point, will it actually touch the snow?

The culvert/comb is a great idea.

What's the white pipe in the hitch for? Will that attach to the snowmobile frame or rack?

Have you had it out in the snow yet? Can't wait to hear how it works!! :letsnow:

Steve.M
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
One source I found for the bed plastic is a farm supply store. It's the plastic they use in feed bunker liners and manue spreaders. Really tough stuff-about 3/8" think-white. I bought some to replace the bed on our older Tidd Tech. Not cheap, $130.00 for a 4'X10' piece, but maybe you can find it for less.

Sherpa-man
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Your father-in-law can weld... nice! ...but forget about the groomer.... what's that disc-braked, side car attached, camo-painted rig in the background? Antique with modern front fork?

TFox
[ *  * ]
I'll try and answer your questions,
tolsons'
The rake is going to attach at the 'angle change point' but it will be mounted as height adjustable somwhat like another comercially made groomer.
The white pipe is indeed for the attachment to the sled. What we have found is that the pvc with a little lube works well as a low presure low weight bearing. It is slit on one side and then you heat it and it will flex enough to go around the rack on the sled, lube and then attach to the drag/groomer.
smeuretts'
Thanks for the info on the plastic. If I do use the plywood I was going to treat/coat it with something to make it slide better.

Sherpa-mans'
That is my Father-in-Laws, a Ural Gear-Up. It is a newish model an 06 I belive. My Father-in-Law (and I) are avid offroad moto riders. Three years ago he bought the Ural and has never looked back. He has a ball on it and has gone many many place with it. He is actually now one of Urals' "sponsored" riders. In the microscopic world of offroad sidecar-riders he is the King!
Plus he is really cool!
http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup/
attached is a pic of him sitting on a Big rock in Moab

Thanks and I will post more pics as we complete it
Travis
Attached to this post:
Attachments: donmoab.jpg (461.19 KB)

arly
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
We’re about ready to complete our new drag and test it. Hopefully within a week we’ll have it on the trails but I’ll attach a poor photo of it here. This is very similar to Yellowstone’s drag and going from our past experiences with these this was deigned to only touch snow on pads made from HPDE or UHMW polymers. Only exception being the cutting teeth are made fromT-11, which is a hardened steel. Snow is very, very abrasive.

I’ve never heard of HDMW, is this something new?? But HDPE is High-Density PolyEthylene which is a pretty common polymer. UHMW is a close cousin to HDPE but a Ultra High Molecular Weight material and has better wear characteristics. Either one should be your friend when it comes to grooming equipment.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: New_drag__ready_to_weld_.II__DL_.jpg (195.49 KB)
Edited by arly, Jan 10 2009, 06:01 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cross Country Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ