Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
compactor bars
Topic Started: Dec 22 2006, 06:53 PM (788 Views)
bman
[ * ]
just bought a new machine with a compactor bar with a snow comb, just wondering how well they work and if there any do's and dont's :needsnow:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grooming-snow
Member Avatar
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
:myopinon: Will work great on fresh snow, to pack the trail & for X-country trails it will work. For snowmobile once they get bad , you will need more then a compactor bar.
Click Here For My ((Webpage)))http://www.snowcountrygroomers.com

dseymour
[ *  * ]
The club that i groom for has two tucker terras with compactor bars, they work good the first trip or two of the season. Don't forget to lift the bar when backing up or you may damage it. If you have trails with sharp corners and trees watch for it to swing wider than the back of the machine.

Rub
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
The only way they work well is if you have fresh snow or the snow is very loose. Once your trails get icy you might as well find something different. As the comb wont even fill in the track mess.

SNO-CAT MAN
groomer operator
[ *  * ]
I think compactor bars are great. Our club has had them for over 10 years. They are a little pricey but you will own it for decades. Our club has 122 mile of trail(one way) and it takes about one week to open it up. (just the 1 mile section by my house hasover 12 gates to open and 6 or so water bars to fill in. not to mention trees to remove that blew down during hunting season.

with a compactor bar if you get to an obstacle you can lift it and back up. Our club has alot of swamp and pulling a drag is not an option. The Bar in the valley only gets used in the early season. The one in the mountain gets used on snow falls over 18 or so inches.
THEY ARE NOT A DRAG, and do not expect that piece of metal and plastic to compact out your track marks. Just knock down the center to start your base or so the snow doesnt blow away then next time through use your drag.

If you use it and dont abuse it it will be a very valuable asset to you and your club! :letsnow: :letsnow:

Brian

RJ85MSP
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Some folks are starting to use them for packing dry or somewhat dry swampy areas now in the fall. It appears to do a pretty good job. A lot more effective then simply driving the cat over the catails a few times.

flyingcow
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
Whats the general design of "compactor bars"? Will it help us improve our 1st pass on the trails? We user a suretrac system and it works as good, if not better than a big azzed roller
Equipment used - Suretrac TS-110 and TM-140

www.benedictasnowgang.com

RJ85MSP
Advanced Operator
[ *  *  * ]
It's generally a hydraulically controlled up/down with down pressure. A big plastic piece with frame work that's generally 10' wide. It can go in between the cat and the drag if you have a goose neck style drag, if not, it's either the compactor bar, or the drag, but not both at the same time.

If I had my camera here I would go out and take a shot of one that's in our yard.

Think of it as a giant spachula (kitchen utensil)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ