Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Otaliafans. You're in the right place!
Our board converted to Zetabaords, so things might look a little different while we figure things out. If you see something missing, or have a suggestion, please let us know in Board Conversion thread in the 'Updates' section.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hey, howdy, hi, from CO
Topic Started: Apr 29 2009, 02:55 AM (155 Views)
lovehound
Unregistered

Man, I've thought a thousand times how I'd like to introduce myself, but now that I'm here, everything I think of sounds stupid. I'm listening to music and looking at pictures and reading things that are making me feel insanely emotional. Come to think of it, the whole day's pretty much been like that.

I'm in Colorado, and despite looking through a lot of the other posts, I don't recall seeing anyone else here from CO. Could be there are others and I've missed you, so I apologize for that, and for making a new topic where one might not be necessary. Other boards I've belonged to have been rabid about starting new threads/topics, and though I don't get that sense here at all, I'll just apologize again if one exists and I didn't see it. I've been trying to educate myself/catch up before posting for the first time, but there's so much all I end up doing is delaying jumping in and I don't want to do that anymore.

SO. I'm jumping in.

I first heard about Otalia via Afterellen, and recall thinking it was probably just another BAM catastrophe (no offense intended...I tried to get into the storyline, I really did, but I just couldn't) waiting to happen, and there was no way I was going to invest in something that was ultimately going to do nothing other than make me feel horrible, or sold short. But. I eventually saw The Kiss (Oh my god! That's Dr. Carly Manning, was my first thought; I never watched GL before this), then to decided to check out the other vids at the Otalia Channel, and I'll be danged if I wasn't pretty much hooked, like, right there and then. After seeing the address for BPD beckon sexily enough times from the front page, I decided to sign up, come in and take a look around, with the sole purpose of lurking and staying uninvolved. But I like the sense of camaraderie here, and the amply evident humor and genuine love for the subject matter, as well as the sincere affection so many of you seem to hold for one another. Newbies always seem welcome, and I've noticed a substantial amount of hand-holding across time zones, team affiliations and between the new and the not-so-new. I hope to one day participate in PbP hand-holding myself.

I deal with my Otalia angst and anxiety alone, and honestly, the isolation is killing me. I hate being affected to such an extreme degree by a television show, because I always feel like my real life falls short somehow, you know, like I should be taking all the satisfaction I need from my own life. But then I think, if that's the case, that pretty much means I shouldn't enjoy anything outside of my life, and that's just cuckoo. Conversely, I love being affected to such an extreme degree by a television show, because there's value and meaning in the storytelling and the emotions a good story (and a sincerely smokin' hot romance) creates. I honestly didn't want to get drawn into anything, but despite my reluctance, I gave in completely a few weeks ago and have decided to try and stop pretending it doesn't matter. Why it matters I think I'd have a hard time trying to explain to someone else, but not to anyone here, and for that, I'm more grateful than you know. To be around people to whom you don't have to explain yourself, or feel like you have to justify WHY something hits you the way it does, is wonderful. That this place exists is wonderful, and to read the posts and threads and topics and actually FEEL the affection and love is remarkable.

It's late and I'm blathering, but I tend to do that. I'll apologize right now for that, because it's something I'll keep doing. Reading back over this, I also apologize for it's ridiculous length. Long story short, hello to all you wonderful Otalians from a purple pixel out here in the West. I turned 45 this year; I have a nine year-old and a five year-old (both boys), two hound dogs (lovehound is a Kate Bush reference, though), and have been one side of a same-sex ampersand for 26 years. I believe in love, regardless of the form in which it shows up on your doorstep. I think birds are pretty great, and clouds and kids and strawberries and rain and just about everything and anything that makes you feel alive, for better or worse. Music is vital. Life is beautiful. Thank you for indulging me.
Quote Post Goto Top

spiderweb55
Member Avatar
Hell yeah!
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome to the board! I have a feeling you're gonna fit in great around these parts :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KameraObskura
Member Avatar
~.~
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome!! You're really going to have a great time here!!

ohh and I'm from Colorado, too!! :thumbsup For while there I thought I was the only one!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lovehound
Unregistered

KameraObskura,Apr 30 2009
06:53 AM
Welcome!! You're really going to have a great time here!!

ohh and I'm from Colorado, too!! :thumbsup For while there I thought I was the only one!

i thought the same thing! yay for us! *waves* thank you for saying hi :).
Quote Post Goto Top

lovehound
Unregistered

spiderweb55,Apr 30 2009
05:42 AM
Welcome to the board! I have a feeling you're gonna fit in great around these parts :)

thank you for the welcome! i was trying so hard to be sincere when i wrote that, but when i look at it now, it seems soooo pretentious. i was worried i scared people off from saying hi, so, you know, thanks for saying hi :).

i love your avatar, btw; it makes me smile every time i see it.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · New Members Start Here: BPD101 · Next Topic »
Add Reply