Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to GECentral. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Gaslight Village in Lake George NY Photo Update; June 1981
Topic Started: Mar 1 2008, 07:52 PM (1,520 Views)
nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The following is a photo update of the old Gaslight Village in Lake George, NY. These photos were taken in June of 1981.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Condor66
Comet
Didn't the Pirate come from Gaslight Village? I remember hearing that somewhere, don't know whether its true or not. If it did, I wonder if any other of Great Escapes rides came from there.

Was Gaslight Village where that big patch of land is and there was a sign that said like Action Park a little while ago?

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
Actually, the Sea Dragon was at TGE first (for a LONG time, then moved to Gaslight Village (yes, it was the Action Park). To this day, that was the BEST Pirate I've ever been on, the height that thing got up to was insane!

The Pirate that the park currently has wasn't from Action Park/Gaslight Village though.

I'm not sure if any other rides were moved to or from The Action Park to TGE, I don't think so, but don't quote me on that.

Dorkyska
Forum Babe
[ * ]
NYGuy, is that you as a kid?

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
Nope, that isn't me. That is don, a member on these forums. I'm probably the same age though, because back in 1981, I was 6 years old :)

Condor66
Comet
Oh OK, for some reason I thought I heard somewhere that the Pirate was at another park before coming to Great Escape. So
what year was the Sea Dragon removed then? The Pirate Ship we have now goes pretty high, IMO, but I've never been Sea Dragon so I can't really say anything.I saw a pic of it though in a brochure, it looks nice like apperance wise, especially compared to what we have now. Great Escapes Pirate is so like, plain, they should put back the letters that are on other Huss Pirate Boats.

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
The Sea Dragon was removed in 1994, it was replaced by a Chance Thunderbolt, and that was removed in 1996, for The Boomerang. As for the Sea Dragon, it was there for years. If you look at the Storytown USA photos I've been posting, you'll see it there, and bear in mind.. those photos are from 1981. So it was there for quite some time. The Pirate that we have now was installed in 1994, where The Bobsleds are now.

I agree though, our Pirate is just a plain ole Huss Pirate. Pretty generic. Sea Dragon was alot better looking visually. They go realllllllly high though. I liked it :)

Condor66
Comet
Yeah, If you've like ever seen La Rondes Pirate Ship, it looks really good with the big PIRATE letters and lights on the boat itself. Like part of what makes flat rides IMO is how they look, like with all the lights and stuff. Like the Rainbow for example.I LOVED seeing that thing at night, all lit up and colorful. Same with the Condor, except it only has like one color of lights.I've always wondered how often they change lightbulbs for those rides, because you would think they would go pretty quickly with all the use they get.

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I just like learning about this kinda stuff I guess. :)

don55
[ * ]
The pirate ship was not at Gaslight Village, however they had a ride that was similar that was called the Space Shuttle. It was out in the back by the bumper boats over by around the world mini golf.

elmer
[ * ]
i think that the balloon race came from GLV :mellow:

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
The current GE Pirate Ship was never at GLV. But, GE's old Sea Dragon was at the "new" GLV, back when it was called "Action Park".

There was a Balloon Race at the "new" GLV (new meaning, Action Park - which was open from 96' to 98' on the GLV property) However, it wasn't the one at TGE. TGE's Balloon Race was installed back in 93' I believe.

Dorkyska
Forum Babe
[ * ]
Anyone know why the Action Park sign still remains? I'd be interested to know.

Tomh
Unregistered

Awesome pictures, they bring back some memories. I believe that the Action Park sign remains simply because no one spent the money to remove it. With the property slated to be developed into a wetlands area, I'm sure the sign will be removed soon.
Quote Post Goto Top

J4Sing
[ * ]
Great Pictures~ thanks for sharing! I remember Gaslight Village very well, I really loved the place. Shame that it is gone. I am surprised that it is being made into wetlands.
I guess instead of Gaslight it's going to be swamp gas now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Storytown USA - Step Back in Time · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

PARK EMPLOYEE DISCLAIMER - Great Escape employees are welcomed on the GECentral Online forums, however please note that The Great Escape management DOES check this site frequently. Great Escape Central is not responsible for anything that may result from a park employee leaking classified information on these forums. Please post information at your own risk. We are in no way associated with The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom, The Great Escape Lodge, or any Six Flags property. This is an individually owned forum, as well as www.GECentral.com