Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to GECentral. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The History of The Great Escape - PART 1; Taken in June of 1981
Topic Started: Feb 25 2008, 11:40 AM (1,985 Views)
nhman
[ * ]
darien lake still has a screamer only it is called the ranger http://www.coasterimage.com/pictures/sixfl...therrides10.htm

it is the last one left in operation
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yup, I believe your right.

The only one that WAS left in the U.S, was at Adventureland in Long Island, and that was taken out 2 or 3 years ago. I rode it at Adventureland quite often growing up as a kid, and I loved it.

nhman
[ * ]
nyguy said
"The only one that WAS left in the U.S, was at Adventureland in Long Island"

I don't understand your quote . Darien Lake is in New York. so there is still one left in the U.S.

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
oh my bad. I thought Darien Lake got rid of it.

nhman
[ * ]
It is still there and running very well. Just last year they fixed it so it could go both ways once again.

Darien lake is full of classic and unique flat rides that are hard to find, you should go there some time it is a nice smaller park with some thrilling rides and coasters. I also heard that there new coaster was very fun.

chadness
[ * ]
So here is some cool info for you about the "yellow clock building". It was for sure moved up to noah's sprayground when it was the campground. I worked at Noahs in '94 and got to go into the basement of the building and it was loaded with old "Chuck E Cheese" Animatronics. I remember it was the whole set from an entire stage show and even the Elvis character. Charley wood was storing this stuff in there and apparently never used any of it. I got to go into the old restaraunt part of the building as well it was really cool. I wonder if this stuff is still in the basement???

Condor66
Comet
^In the 80's Darien Lake and HUSS got a deal in place where DArien Lake would be kind of a showcase of Huss Rides in the US. THats why they have so many like the Rodeo Round-Up, Ranger, UFO, Viper. Their Ranger goes for a longgg time, like when I was on it this summer it ran for a good 5 minutes and went upside down 8 times. I had never in my life felt dizzy or sick on any ride until i went on that.

dragon1616
Member Avatar
Steamin Demon
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
NYguy - Did you take all these photos? They are nice.

besu
Steamin Demon
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
honestly TGE was adorable back in the day. you'd never see anything as creative and quaint and picturesque built today

nyguy
Member Avatar
Administrator
Thanks Dragon, no they are not mine.

They were submitted to me by another fellow GECentral member, who owns the rights to the photos.

greatescapelover
Comet
the screamer ride type at darien lake is now gone and there are none in operation anymore

bumpercarlady
[ * ]
Oh, these bring back such wonderful memories! The first time I went to Storytown I was eight so It would have been the same summer these pics were taken. Makes me kinda sad.

I have a few of my own I need to dig up when I visit my mom again.

richie4896
Member Avatar
[ * ]
i didnt know where 2 put this so i guess im gunna put it here,,,,,,, is this from the great escape? http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YaIckfws6sES9joaedxT_Q

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Storytown USA - Step Back in Time · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

PARK EMPLOYEE DISCLAIMER - Great Escape employees are welcomed on the GECentral Online forums, however please note that The Great Escape management DOES check this site frequently. Great Escape Central is not responsible for anything that may result from a park employee leaking classified information on these forums. Please post information at your own risk. We are in no way associated with The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom, The Great Escape Lodge, or any Six Flags property. This is an individually owned forum, as well as www.GECentral.com