Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to EmachineUpgraders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
FREE Anti-Virus Software
Topic Started: Sep 30 2008, 08:21 PM (1,336 Views)
TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
OZ ... The Great and Powerful!!
I've long recommended AVG and still do and I have never liked anything about Avast. Just my opinion.
Has anyone tried Comodo's Free Anti-Virus Program
http://antivirus.comodo.com/
or
PCTools Free Anti-Virus Program
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

CJS
THE BLACK PEARL with a new sail!
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo Core 2MB L2 cache S939
Overclocked to something or other this week!
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 MOBO
(3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP, 1 Future CPU Port, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
4 Gig G.SKILL PC3200 DUAL DDR SDRAM
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

I ALWAYS SAY," IF YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO OVERCLOCK THEN IT ISN'T REALLY AN OVERCLOCK!!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tazman
Member Avatar
AVAST YE ... DEAD MEN DON'T BITE!
I tried a while back, when you first brought it up. If memory serves, it was not a bad program, but I think I gave it the boot cause you could not set up a home network on it. I'm not 100% on that, I may be thinking of ZoneAlarm.
Posted Image

g3b
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hello TJSEVEN, I am currently using the internet security suite by Comodo vers. 3.5.57173.439 which is a combo firewall+defense+antivirus. Have not had any issues with it & the initial install went smooth. They have an excellent forum as well. Had used AVG free & Avast home previously but so far am very pleased with Comodo --- by the way it is free as well.

Have a good day!
g3b beer

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
g3b
Dec 9 2008, 01:04 AM
Hello TJSEVEN, I am currently using the internet security suite by Comodo vers. 3.5.57173.439 which is a combo firewall+defense+antivirus. Have not had any issues with it & the initial install went smooth. They have an excellent forum as well. Had used AVG free & Avast home previously but so far am very pleased with Comodo --- by the way it is free as well.

Have a good day!
g3b beer
Thanks for the input.
FYI....the Virus software and Firewall have only recently been integrated into an installation package but you can opt to install them as standalone programs via an install option. Also, if you are not fond of toolbars....make sure you untick those options during install.
Otherwise a nice value.
(3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP, 1 Future CPU Port, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

I ALWAYS SAY," IF YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO OVERCLOCK THEN IT ISN'T REALLY AN OVERCLOCK!!"

wowgamer
Member Avatar
CREW MEMBER
[ *  *  * ]
TJSEVEN
Sep 30 2008, 08:21 PM
I've long recommended AVG and still do and I have never liked anything about Avast. Just my opinion.
Has anyone tried Comodo's Free Anti-Virus Program
http://antivirus.comodo.com/
or
PCTools Free Anti-Virus Program
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

CJS
I paid a few clams for PC Tools Anti-Virus. The free version is the same but it doesn't clean all the viruses (it does get rid of the real nasty stuff though) off your HD unless you actually pay for it. Here is my take on PC Tools Anti-Virus. It is a fine program and very stable, the paid version is regularly updated and cleans your system of attacks that Spybot and AVG can miss (Keep in mind not all databases are all the same, different virus cleaners will find stuff others miss). Here is the only con about the app that I didn't care for, it slowed my system down a bit when kept in ram. I use the free version of AVG now, and if I had a few extra dollars I would gladly pay for it. There are times I miss PC Tools Virus, but I haven't had any troubles since the install of AVG. I do however run spybot occasionally also just in case and it catches a few things AVG does not.

I will give PC Tools some serious Props for their Registry Mechanic. It's FAST, efficient, clean, does what it's supposed to do, does not mess up your registry at all, and works like a charm every time I use it. I paid for one version at one time, and have updated to their new version, but since finances are tight I haven't been able to pay for the new version. The only thing it doesn't do unpaid is update the database.

I should be in bed again, hence the long winded advertisement for PC Tools Registry Mechanic. pass out
eMachine T6212 (AMD 64 3200+) w/MSI BIOS 3.9
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W ATX Power Supply NEW
V.2 Antec 900 case (Transplant was a success!)
VisionTek x1300 XGE Radeon video w/EVERCOOL VC-RHC VGA Cooler
Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC K1
OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR 400

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
A very nice, powerful compliment to your home-brewed security suite would be Malwarebytes free version (manual updates and scans).
I don't believe that any other Anti-Spyware/Malware product can touch it right now...especially for the really nasty stuff!
gun billgates tazhimself
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
I have been testing Comodo's Internet Security suite for a while now.
I have to tell you ....it's pretty darn good and FREE!
The firewall is excellent, the anti-virus is very good and the defense+ is a plus!
Other than to un-tick a couple of addons during install ......it's an awesome package for free and very light on resources.
It has really come along way....overall... it can compete with anything paid or free.
With Comodos other free tools like Threatfire and BOcleaner you can have a real party.
But if you need something....I have to recommend this puppy to you. okay specool
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

Tazman
Member Avatar
Comodo Internet Security installed just fine on my Vista machine ... been using for a couple of weeks. So today I decided to put it on my kids machine running XP Pro. Damn thing blocked all network traffic, got a message that the firewall was not working properly. So after messing around and not finding much answers. I thought, heck ... haven't done a fresh install for a while .. give that a whirl, that should clear things up..... eeeehhhhh wrong answer.
Got the same crap, I've hunted the forums a comodo and cannot find a solution. Thing locks it do so tight that not even disabling the whole suite works. Only way to get connected back to the wireless router is to totally uninstall and reboot. I'm stumped ... guess I'm going to give PCTools a try.
Posted Image

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
That's amazing! tazhimself
Have you had your aura checked? ;)
I realy like the Online Armor firewall as well.
If you like the Comodo AV...you could use that in place of the Comodo Firewall.
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

Tazman
Member Avatar
TJSEVEN
Feb 16 2009, 01:39 AM
That's amazing! tazhimself
Have you had your aura checked? ;)
I realy like the Online Armor firewall as well.
If you like the Comodo AV...you could use that in place of the Comodo Firewall.
Yea, I know ... seems like if anyone can have a problem with software, somehow I'm gonna be included in that group. Only comfort I can take is that I am not alone. I read through the forums and saw several post referring to this, but don't think one person posted that any of the "fixes" worked.

What do you think of PC Tools AV and FW? They don't seem to garner high praises.
Posted Image

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
Tazman
Feb 16 2009, 08:45 AM

What do you think of PC Tools AV and FW?
PC Tools isn't awful. It's good basic protection not as good as the Comodo AV.There was an extremely ugly false posiitive not too long ago.But overall free stuff is always underrated.
The Online Armor FW though is free and is very, very good!
I wonder what triggered your problem in XP.....Vista I may have understood.
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

Tazman
Member Avatar
Well I guess I'll give Online Armor a try. Really stumped on to as why Comodo is acting up. I really thought the fresh install would have done the trick .... not sure maybe it has something to do with XP Pro and my wireless set up. Thing is, it is not even giving me the popup asking if I want to allow or not and will not allow a connection to the router. But at least is just the kids computer, maybe later on down the road I'll figure it out or Comodo will.
Posted Image

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
Online Armor is excellent. Your problem makes no sense....we're missing something.
It almost seems to be the driver for a particular piece of hardware that might cause it....otherwise it's nuts.
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
taz,
Which version are you running...you're not running the Beta ....correct?
http://remove-malware.com/announcements/comodo-internet-security-38-released/
tazhimself
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

Tazman
Member Avatar
Hmm, checked the laptop and it has 3.5 on it, which is working just fine. Version 3.8 was released on 02/12/09 and would have been the one install on the Kids machine on the 14th. I still have the 3.5 setup program on my laptop, may try that on the kids machine this weekend and see if that works ... Have you tried the 3.8 version yet?
Posted Image

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
Tazman
Feb 19 2009, 08:57 AM
Have you tried the 3.8 version yet?
I have not....I like to watch other people suffer first....then zoom in when the smoke clears and the fixes are done! :o
I'd be curious if 3.5 works okay on that system.
CaptainJack
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

Enigma Deadsouls
Member Avatar
Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty.
TJSEVEN
Feb 19 2009, 12:31 PM
I have not....I like to watch other people suffer first....
"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off. Hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god."

Bonus points to cate if she can tell me what anime that is from without looking it up. Extra bonus points if she can tell me the song that sampled it.
Posted Image
This is my wife Audrey, she smells a bit but she has a heart of gold!

Tazman
Member Avatar
TJSEVEN
Tazman
I have not....I like to watch other people suffer first....then zoom in when the smoke clears and the fixes are done! :o
CaptainJack
Yes I am curious too ... honestly I did not even realize that they had released a new version. It had been working so good on the Vista machine that I just went to the web site and clicked on the download and installed. It was a spur of the moment kinda thing ... I had not been on the kids machine in months, the wife was on the laptop ... so jumped on it to look something up and decided to ditch the McAfee SS that is free from comcast. Should have paid more attention, however the site does not make any fanfare about it.
Posted Image

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
Enigma Deadsouls
Feb 19 2009, 09:41 PM
TJSEVEN
I have not....I like to watch other people suffer first....
"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off. Hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god."

Bonus points to cate if she can tell me what anime that is from without looking it up. Extra bonus points if she can tell me the song that sampled it.
Gee.....and I thought you and I just shared a philosophy!
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
Tazman
Feb 19 2009, 10:05 PM
TJSEVEN
Tazman
CaptainJack
Yes I am curious too ... honestly I did not even realize that they had released a new version. It had been working so good on the Vista machine that I just went to the web site and clicked on the download and installed. It was a spur of the moment kinda thing ... I had not been on the kids machine in months, the wife was on the laptop ... so jumped on it to look something up and decided to ditch the McAfee SS that is free from comcast. Should have paid more attention, however the site does not make any fanfare about it.
Yeah...they seem to low-key their new releases.
But they are really loading a lot of new stuff into the latest packages.
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VIRUS and SPYWARE Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply