Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to EmachineUpgraders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Remove Corrupted Files from a USB Flash Drive; It's easy to clean out those bad files!
Topic Started: Mar 23 2007, 08:09 PM (6,478 Views)
Ladym_cate
Member Avatar
Angel from the underworld or Devil from paradise
Forget to do the safe removal of your USB flash/pen/thumb drive? Guess what - that's where those files came from on your portable USB drive that show as corrupt and they just can't seem to be deleted. Or maybe your drive shows as having less space then it should - there are corrupt files there but they are hidden.

I'll assume you know what the safe removal procedure is and not cover that, but if you don't please post the question and I'll answer that.

I recently faced this problem and found two fixes. I had two flash drives both with the same problem - Fix #1 worked on 1 USB flash drive but not on the 2nd. Fix #2 worked on the second corrupt USB drive so I'll assume it would work on both.

Fix #1

Plug pen into USB port.

Open Windows Explorer to find out what drive letter has been assigned to the USB drive. Close Windows explorer.

Click Start > Run and type in "cmd" without the quotes. Click OK.

Use "cd C:\" without the quotes if you are not already at the C:> prompt.

At the C:> prompt, type "CHKDSK X: /F" without the quotes where X = the drive letter of the USB drive. The space before /F is important. Press enter.

If you are asked questions like "Convert lost chains into files?" answer all such questions "Y" without the quotes and press enter.

Once finished with CHKDSK type at the C:> prompt "DEL X:\File*.chk" without the quotes where X = the drive letter assigned to the USB drive and File* is the name of your file. (This is if you only have 1 file to delete – I had multiple so it wouldn’t make sense for me – at this point I went to the next step).

Close the dos command window and open Windows Explorer or go to "My Computer". Find your USB drive and open it. Delete any other files that you do not want. (This worked for me! I was able to delete all files!)

Fix #2

1. Plug pen into the USB port. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management
2. Select the letter of the drive that corresponds to your flash drive. (NO, it shouldn't be the C Drive.)
3. Right click, select format.
4. This will format the flash drive.
5. Exit out.
6. Go to My Computer
7. Right click your flash drive.
8. High level format it (FAT32)
9. You're done - life is better now.
(Work perfect for me!)

Both tried - both worked. And for those who might need to know - NO I wasn't the one who removed them incorrectly and caused the file corruption. :P

Cate
Cynicism is the smoke that rises from the ashes of burnt out dreams

formerly an eMachines T6420
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz Processor
BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M9 939 Micro ATX AMD MOBO
2GB DDR PC3200 400MHz
EVGA nVidia e-GeForce 7600 GT KO
Antec Basiq 500W Power Supply
200GB HDD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · TIPS & TRICKS and HOW TO'S ........ · Next Topic »
Add Reply