Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to EmachineUpgraders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Motherboard Replacement; What are the options with eMachine Cases
Topic Started: Jan 8 2006, 09:21 AM (2,834 Views)
TD25x
Member Avatar
Collector of Rocket Widgets
With the rash of recent posts of motherboards dying and needing replacement, most people don't want to pay the outrageous price of a factory replacement.

What are the options?

For the eCooper case any mATX form factor mobo will fit this case.

For the Nexgen case any mATX form factor mobo will fit this case.

For Big Bear and Verna cases a mATX form factor mobo will fit this case AS LONG AS THE WIDTH DOES NOT EXCEED 9". Front panel wiring harness will have to be modded.

Fiat and Lantra cases will use a mATX form factor as well, to be safe and avoid any modification to the case, stick with the 9" wide limit. It can hold wider mobos with mods depending on the hardware layout of the new mobo. Front panel wiring harness will have to be modded.

How To ID Your Case

The main problem people are running into is, most people only have the restore disk to use as an operating system.
If you do have a full version OS disk, then the sky is the limit for using any mATX mobo (with the above case exceptions).
If all you have is the restore disk, then the secret to using and aftermarket mobo is choosing one that has the same or close to the same hardware specs, i.e., same chipset, audio, lan, etc., as the original mobo.
You might can get by with some differences in hardware specs by booting into safe mode and installing the new drivers.

If using WinXP, activation may be a problem using and aftermarket mobo. Be sure you have the 25 digit PID number that came with your system. Usually it is on a sticker on the back of the case. This can usually be accomplished by using the online activation method,,,worst case, you may have to call Microsoft for an activation number. If this is the case, explain to them that you had to replace the motherboard and now that it is asking to be activated. You'll still need to give them the 25 digit PIN number. Do NOT volunteer the information that it is an eMachine or that you replaced the original mobo with an aftermarket mobo. This is one instance where the less information you give them, the better.

It would also be wise to replace the PSU when replacing the mobo.

Be sure to check out some of the "End User's Upgrades" for:

Trigem Imperial-G/GV/GL/GLVE

ECS L7VMM2

Feel free to add to this post any further findings or clarification.

[Edit: Links updated]
T5224
Intel DG33TLM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2 x 1GB Crucial PC6400 DDR2
EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
1- WD 80GB SATA2 10,000RPM Raptor
1- WD 1.0TB SATA3 7200RPM
Samsung 22x DVD-RW SH-S222L
Corsair AX750W PSU
Win7 Ult x64
Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse
DELL - UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch Flat Panel
Bose Companion 3 speakers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dylaustin
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
How about buying a retail version of the motherboard and flashing it with eMachines BIOS?
Will this work?

TD25x
Member Avatar
Collector of Rocket Widgets
dylaustin
Mar 10 2006, 02:49 PM
How about buying a retail version of the motherboard and flashing it with eMachines BIOS?
Will this work?

I don't know.........most people here want to flash an OEM eMachine mobo to a retail bios to gain more function(s) not strip them out..
T5224
Intel DG33TLM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2 x 1GB Crucial PC6400 DDR2
EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
1- WD 80GB SATA2 10,000RPM Raptor
1- WD 1.0TB SATA3 7200RPM
Samsung 22x DVD-RW SH-S222L
Corsair AX750W PSU
Win7 Ult x64
Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse
DELL - UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch Flat Panel
Bose Companion 3 speakers

lubner10
Member Avatar
OFFICIAL SEARCH ENGINE.. & BIOS BADBOY..!
dylaustin
Mar 10 2006, 02:49 PM
Will this work?

I'm sure it's possible after all that's how the OEM boards were produced.
Posted Image

dylaustin
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Maybe I was not clear enough.

The reason I thought of flashing a retail board with eMachines BIOS was to use the OEM Windows XP.

If that works without activation problems, then I wouldn't need to call MS or buy XP in case my motherboard blows up.

dce693
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
TD25x
Jan 8 2006, 10:21 AM
If using WinXP, activation may be a problem using and aftermarket mobo. Be sure you have the 25 digit PID number that came with your system. Usually it is on a sticker on the back of the case. This can usually be accomplished by using the online activation method,,,worst case, you may have to call Microsoft for an activation number. If this is the case, explain to them that you had to replace the motherboard and now that it is asking to be activated. You'll still need to give them the 25 digit PIN number. Do NOT volunteer the information that it is an eMachine or that you replaced the original mobo with an aftermarket mobo. This is one instance where the less information you give them, the better.

From what I've read, WinXP profiles your system and monitors changes to the hardware to make sure it's not being moved to another machine. On OEM copies, a motherboard change constitutes a different machine. It wasn't always clear, but they changed the wording on their EULA to explicitly state that motherboard swaps meant the machine was now a different computer. Since your OEM copy is tied to the original computer, Microsoft will not give you another activation code.

earlytv
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have 6 nexgen cases all with a coa sticker on them. I took 1 dead intel P3 mother out and replace it with a PC Chips M791G board. I own a XP HOME disk and installed it using the number on the case, and on the install page asking about getting on line to register when install done I clicked yes. All went well and when windows update installed (KB892130) Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool, all still went well, it likes it? The M791G is not like and Emachine motherboard but all is good?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · HARDWARE · Next Topic »
Add Reply