Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to EmachineUpgraders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
T3406 BIOS Needed! (Black Friday - $149 BestBuy)
Topic Started: Nov 26 2005, 04:10 PM (1,151 Views)
Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
Hi,

I need the factory BIOS for the eMachines T3406. I bought this PC for $149 at BestBuy on Black Friday. First off let me state I feel like an idiot and I just want this PC to work again. I am a first time eMachines owner and I did not know Intel BIOS would not work on this PC. It is my entire fault because I did not do my research. I just can not believe I didn't think to back up a copy my self. The Computer only boots when I clear the CMOS, and I can get into the BIOS and see all the extra options but once I save or discard the BIOS my system doesn't respond anymore. If I do not clear the CMOS the PC will turn on but screen says black and the system is not responsive. The Fans and everything else spin, and like I said it works to get into the BIOS when I clear the CMOS.

What I need is a MASSIVE favor from anyone who bought this PC and can backup copy of the BIOS for me. I checked your site, but sadly you didn't have any BIOS for the T3406. I will gladly walk anyone through how to back up your BIOS from the guide listed on this site. Please I am begging anyone out there if they have this machine please help.

I noticed on the "Motherboards Used In USA Models" you have a question mark for the motherboard used in this machine. I can tell you it is the Intel D865GVHZ OEM Motherboard.

I thought I was going to get bargain and have a cheap 2nd PC in the house. I did want to flash the BIOS to unlock the hidden features. Sure enough they are unlocked as I have loads more options but it does not good as nothing really works.

Again if ANYONE has the PC please help me out, I really hate to sound like a beggar but I am desperate. :(

Thanks,
Brett VanKirk
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TD25x
Member Avatar
Collector of Rocket Widgets
C'mon, some one out there with a D865GVHZ rig, help this fellow out:

Instructions on how to backup your bios and where to send it is HERE.

Brent,,,I like your "no guts, no glory" attitude....we'll try to help you if we can.
BTW, Thanks for letting us know what mobo is in the T3406..
T5224
‡ Intel DG33TLM
‡ Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
‡ 2 x 1GB Crucial PC6400 DDR2
‡ EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
‡ 1- WD 80GB SATA2 10,000RPM Raptor
‡ 1- WD 1.0TB SATA3 7200RPM
‡ Samsung 22x DVD-RW SH-S222L
‡ Corsair AX750W PSU
‡ Win7 Ult x64
‡ Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse
‡ DELL - UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch Flat Panel
‡ Bose Companion 3 speakers

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
Thanks TD25x, only if I had more money to support the habit. :lol:

It shouldn't have been a no guts no glory if I would have backed up my bios. The no guts no glory is when I cut the pin of my Willamette P4 to force a 533MHz FSB in my older Dell PC which worked nicely.

I did write down my BIOS string before I flashed for some reason, here it is.

BF86510A.15A.0087.P21

If my other means I can get a hold of the BIOS I need, I will also give it to you guys to put up on your site.

TD25x
Member Avatar
Brett VanKirk
Nov 26 2005, 06:28 PM
If my other means I can get a hold of the BIOS I need, I will also give it to you guys to put up on your site.

Or they can send it to me and I can post it at the site asap
T5224
‡ Intel DG33TLM
‡ Corsair AX750W PSU
‡ Win7 Ult x64

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
That works; anyway I can help you guys if your community can help me out with the .BIO file I am looking for. :)

I figured this would be a good place to ask, it’s just a matter of time before someone comes forward with the same PC. Thousands of these were sold at BestBuy for $149, so I am hoping a few people here picked one up.

TD25x
Member Avatar
I have made a "plea" on your behalf on the INDEX page........now we'll just have to wait and see...
T5224
‡ Intel DG33TLM
‡ Corsair AX750W PSU
‡ Win7 Ult x64

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
Wow, you have no idea how much that means me to. You are extremly helpful and I can say enough about this place. If I come a crossed some eMachine people I know where I will be sending them. B)

TD25x
Member Avatar
Sorry Brett, didn't mean to call you "Brent" in my other post, but any way that's what we're all about here. We respect people that want to "break new ground" in upgrading these eMachines. Even though you made a mistake, you admitted it, gave us pertinent info on your situation. Even though you just joined us here, I have a great deal of respect for you already. If you are willing to be patient, I'm certain we can help you....GREAT community of people here, willing to help.

What would be ideal is if we could get that system to boot into Windows WITH the bios upgrade. Did this system come with restore disk or was it on a separate partition? Do you have access to a full version WinXP disk?
T5224
‡ Intel DG33TLM
‡ Corsair AX750W PSU
‡ Win7 Ult x64

stevep
Unregistered

Think it's a Gateway bios you are looking for...
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...EOEMD865GVHZLT1

You should be able to make update floppy on another machine. It is a bit more straightforward than the Intel update. The bootblock recovery may complicate things, but I expect it can be done.
Quote Post Goto Top

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
First off I want to say Stevep you are the best! :D

TD25x the BIOS Steve posted are the exact BIOS my computer had. The BIOS string matched exactly, and the eMachines logo is there and everything! Use those BIOS as the ones to post on your site.

I do have some good news to reports. After disabling everything in the BIOS I figured out the problem. There was an issue with my integrated LAN, once that was disabled I had my computer back just minus the LAN which didn’t matter since I just WIFI anyway. I was able to get my computer to work flawlessly with the Intel BIOS once I disabled my integrated LAN in the BIOS. The other problem is the Fan control headers were switched. The Case fan was the one being controller by the computer, and that left my CPU fan running at full speed. This was easily fixed my just switching the plugs, but none the less it was a problem.

Those are really the only to issues I have had with the Intel BIOS and certainly if Intel releases a newer version you know I am going to try them and see what they do. I certainly will not have this problem again with the BIOS seeing I know where to get them from now on, and a great community to call back on for help.

To answer your questions TD25x, yes my system came with a restore DVD, along with a 4GB partition with I am guessing has the same thing one. Yes, I do have a full version of XP. I have a legal Corp version of XP Pro SP2 that I got through my school so I will be loading that on either way. Tomorrow I am going to completely reformat the PC, and do away with that partition as I do not need anything they offered. I will load all my own stuff on, and call it a day. The only thing I can see doing to this machine, is buying some more ram, and putting some AS5 on the CPU to see if I can’t drop the idle and load temperatures a few degrees.

I want to thank you TD25x for making me feel so welcome here, and I also want to thank you stevep for finding the correct BIOS. You really don't know how much trouble you two saved me, and you are greatly appreciated.

If anyone has any questions, I will gladly answer them.

bigsteve4570
Member Avatar
6'3" & 230lbs. of Solid Geek
[ *  *  *  * ]
Way to go, Steve-o !!! (standing ovation). I Googled,Yahoo'd. etc., and came up with squat.

Nice job digging that BIOS out of the muck.

You deserve a major "'At-a-Boy" from all of us.
Posted Image

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Drink in one hand - smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO !!!, What a Ride !!!"

TD25x
Member Avatar
Good deal Brett!
So let me get this straight in my feeble mind, you WERE able to get the Intel bios to work after you disabled the onboard LAN in the CMOS setting and corrected the fan header?
Which Intel file did you use?
BF86510A.86A.0075.P24.EB.EXE?
Express or Iflash?
You flashed again using the Gateway bios (BF86510AP21.exe)?
What were the differences between the 2?

Yep, we're gonna promote ole stevep to "chief propeller-head"! :D

Maybe you can help him figure out how to flash his D845GVSR (Sea Breeze) using the Intel bios...he's been working on it...
T5224
‡ Intel DG33TLM
‡ Corsair AX750W PSU
‡ Win7 Ult x64

TJSEVEN
Member Avatar
OZ ... The Great and Powerful!!
Just got a call from Prince Charlie and that Sea-Hag Camilla they are considering bestowing knighthood on stevep for a job well done!
THE BLACK PEARL with a new sail!
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo Core 2MB L2 cache S939
Overclocked to something or other this week!
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 MOBO
(3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP, 1 Future CPU Port, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
4 Gig G.SKILL PC3200 DUAL DDR SDRAM
and other Stuff....!
ZOOM>>>ZOOM>>>

I ALWAYS SAY," IF YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO OVERCLOCK THEN IT ISN'T REALLY AN OVERCLOCK!!"

stevep
Unregistered

Evidently I have my moments... :lol:

Now Brett, I also am keen to hear how you did those flashes? Spare us no details...this is cutting edge stuff. You have pulled off a great coup.

Intel D865GVHZ board:
Posted Image

Compare with Gateway version here:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Inte...GVHZLT1mv.shtml

Quote Post Goto Top

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
Let me clarify the ordeal with the fan headers being switched as I might have not explained it to well. As you know the system takes control of the fans and throttles them for maximum efficiency and minimum noise. This eMachines has two fans, one CPU fan connected to the CPU fan header, and one rear case fan connected to the Fan 1 header. Normally the rear case fan runs at full speed, and the CPU fan runs at full speed for a few seconds at start up and throttles down. Once flashed with the Intel BIOS the CPU fan would not throttle down it would constantly run at maximum RPM which was extremely loud. The fan that did throttle back was the Fan 1 header which was the rear case fan. This did not effect temperatures in anyway so it was not a problem other than the noise that was created by the CPU fan. I fixed this problem by plugging the CPU fan into the Fan 1 header, and plugging the Case Fan into CPU fan header. This put everything back to normal, there was never any problems with over heating or fans not working.

Now onto the BIOS I used to flash it back, how I flashed it to the Intel BIOS, and what Intel BIOS file I used. Let me start off my saying you can not use the Express or Iflash method to flash your OEM board to the Intel BIOS, or back to your OEM BIOS. When you try to flash the normal way it will refuse to flash due to a system check that verifies the BIOS String Vendor ID, along with Board ID against the BIOS you are flashing with. Now the Vendor ID for eMachines is 15A which is Gateways vendor ID, Intel's is 86A.

To get around this is pretty simple, and only takes a few seconds and you only need the .BIO file, and a formated Floppy Disk. The Floppy disk needs to be blank and does not have to be nor should it be bootable, just blank with the .BIO file on it. What you will be using is the motherboard's BIOS Recovery system, which I think all Intel based motherboards have. To do this you will look on your motherboard for the BIOS Jumper block. There should be three options, Normal, Maintenance, and Recovery. For recovery you remove the recovery jumper and boot the system with the black formated floppy disk with the .BIO file on it. This is the lowest state your PC will operate in, and no video will be displayed. What will happen is your system will read the floppy and load the .BIO file into your computer replacing your existing BIOS. This is the ONLY simple and fool proof way to flash any OEM Intel motherboard with a retail Intel BIOS. Once that happens your PC will beep a few times and will turn off. Now you remove the floppy disk, and put the jumper back on and to the normal position and restart your computer.

For information about the Recovery System can be found here: http://intel.com/design/motherbd/recoverybios.htm

You have successfully and easily flashed your computer with the Intel BIOS. Now if your system does not work right, which in my case it did not. Unplug your system from the wall and take out the CMOS battery if you do not have a jumper that will break the CMOS connection. The T3406 did not have those jumper points soldered on so I had to take the battery out for a few seconds, even though the motherboard had the points for it. Pop your CMOS battery back in, and turn on your PC, it should work and allow you to get into the BIOS and try and figure out what if causing a conflict. In my case it turned out to be the integrated LAN, which was fixable by disabling the integrated LAN.

If your computer starts just fine then excellent, everything worked perfectly and you should not have any problem. I would double check everything as again in my case the Fan headers were switched which caused my CPU fan to run at full speed all the time. Double check to see if everything is working correctly in Windows, just to be sure something is not messed up or not working to correct specification.

The differences between the Intel BIOS and the eMachines BIOS was pretty much night and day feature wise. I had total control over every part of the BIOS, it unlocked all of the features the eMachines BIOS locked out. I could change ram timings, I could set RAM Speed, I could see all of my hardware temperatures, voltage readings, ect. Many options were new that provided a new level of tweaking, and well as some new features. The other difference was the Intel BIOS also provided an updated version of my Video BIOS which did give me more resolution options in Windows. Now I am curious to see once I reformat my computer and use the latest Intel Extreme Graphics 2 drivers (and not the drivers dated from early 2004 that eMachines loaded on) if I can acquire more resolution options that way as well.

Now onto the BIOS I used to get my PC back to normal along with how I got them. First off the BIOS that Steve posted are the exact same BIOS that my PC shipped with. I am sure you know Gateway is the parent company of eMachines and they share the same parts. The Gateway BIOS are the eMachines BIOS and eMachines BIOS are the Gateway BIOS. The Strings and coding are identical, that I can tell that just from the BIOS string that was present. To flash back to the eMachines BIOS I just extracted the .BIO file from the BF86510A.15A.0087.P21.EB package and copied the file P21-0087.BIO onto the blank floppy and did what I explained above. That took me back to normal and all the issues that I had and previously corrected were no more.

As I was writing this I was doing some checking of the BIOS for the D845GVSR and the .BIO file is much smaller, only 65K which leads me to believe your motherboard does not have the BIOS recovery option and what I mentioned above will not work. I do notice you have six BI1 – BI6 files, with the same file size and name as the .BIO file. I would check your manual and look at your motherboard to see if you can do a recovery in a different fashion then the way I suggested. If you can not do a BIOS recovery then you are out of luck.

There is a slim chance at another way but since you do not have a way to recover for it if it does not work you will not be able to boot your computer, and your motherboard will be dead. I am talking about using a Hex editor for the numerous listing of the BIOS strings in your .BIO, and .BI1 – BI6 files and changing the BIOS String to match the current eMachines BIOS String. I have done this and it had worked for me with a Dell computer from 1998. What it does it changes the verification string to match so it will pass the system check and allow you the flash with the new BIOS. I will say this now: I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU CAN DO A RECOVERY. If you do try this and your system just beeps when you try to turn it on your BIOS are not working and can only be recovered with the low level BIOS recovery, which at quick glance looks like your computer does not have. I will say again DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT A RECOVERY METHOD.

TD25x I will post below the latest OEM eMachines BIOS for the T3406 gracefully found by stevep.

eMachines T3406
Motherboard: Intel D865GVHZ (Hazelton)
BIOS String: BF86510A.15A.0087.P21
BIOS File Name: P21-0087.BIO
BIOS Version: P21
BIOS File Download: http://www.labonteonline.com/files/P21-0087.zip
File Size: 590KB (Compressed - 457KB)

I put the T3406 BIOS file up on my FTP, until you can host it on your site and add the information I provided above to your OEM BIOS section. I hope this helps some people here, and I will gladly explain anything further if anyone wants to know more.

stevep
Unregistered

Nice explanation Brett. I have made some progress with the IntelD845GVSR bios update, which as you know is segmented into several files of 64KB.
Firstly a bios backup is relatively straightforward. I put iFlash (and BEEP as it happens) on a simple bootable floppy made with drdflash. Boot from it and type: iflash /sB 2220.BIO
This creates a 361KB backup of the main bios. Alternate switches to B (Bios) are U (User image), R (Recovery, ie Boot Block), and L (Language, not implemented in eMachines).
To understand what goes on with the 64KB segments, you look at the bios chip, aka Firmware Hub:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTE...251556813.shtml

I learnt a lot from the following (old but deep) thread, and have high hopes now, especially since learning the first 160 bytes of each file are the headers.
http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraB...ard=idot&Post=7

The real pain, is that I don't have the unified bios file from Intel to flash over, though you were luckier with the 865 stuff.

Thanks very much for your input, which was excellent. Only a matter of time for my problem, I think I have the switches to program with iFlash too, but am not going to try it till I am sure it will all work, especially since there are at least two hardware versions of the D845GVSR board, mainly the sound chip varies, but who knows what else.

BTW: Bit of bad news for you TD, all those 128KB OEM backups made with Uniflash are no use for recovery purposes....Damn.
Quote Post Goto Top

TD25x
Member Avatar
Brett,
Really appreciate the detailed info!
This is good stuff and I'd like to post it HERE when time permits.
I already have the Gateway bios POSTED but want to reference it back to the End Users page.
Thanks again for dispelling some of my ignorance on these Intel mobos....
T5224
‡ Intel DG33TLM
‡ Corsair AX750W PSU
‡ Win7 Ult x64

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
I am certainly happy with the way everything turned out, and I can't thank the good people here at eMachine Upgraders enough for the help in getting the BIOS I need to get the system back to stock. I have been messing around with overclocking the T3406, but I will get into that in the overclocking section later tonight or sometime tomorrow. This $149 computer offered far more in performance at stock then I was expecting, and the unexpected things I am able to do with it makes it even better.

stevep
Unregistered

Intel give away this fan and temperature monitor which seems to work on the Gateway board versions:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

You be careful hanging around with those overclockers... :D
Quote Post Goto Top

Brett VanKirk
Member Avatar
Yes, thats the first thing I downloaded on my PC when I brought it home Friday to see what the idle and load temperatures were.

I posted in the overclocking section detailing my findings, and the results were pretty nice I must say. I don't think I need to worry about the overclockers in that section, they could stand to learn a thing or two. :P

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · NEWER SYSTEMS (USA) · Next Topic »
Add Reply