| Welcome to The New Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Palmeiro tests positive; member of 3000-hit club faces 10 day ban | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Aug 1 2005, 03:34 PM (70 Views) | |
| Canucks fan | Aug 1 2005, 03:34 PM Post #1 |
|
Numero uno
![]()
|
;bad; http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/base...ex.html?cnn=yes NEW YORK (AP) -- Rafael Palmeiro was suspended 10 days for violating Major League Baseball's steroids policy Monday, nearly five months after the Baltimore Orioles first baseman emphatically told Congress that "I have never used steroids. Period." Palmeiro became the highest-profile player among the seven who have failed a test under the toughened major league policy that took effect in March, rules criticized by Congress as not being stringent enough. In a conference call Monday, Palmeiro said he never intentionally took steroids and could not explain how the drugs got into his body. He also apologized and said would accept his punishment. "I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period," he said. "Ultimately, although I never intentionally put a banned substance into my body, the independent arbitrator ruled that I had to be suspended under the terms of the program." The 40-year-old is the seventh player to test positive for steroids under the policy adopted earlier this year. Palmeiro doubled on July 15 to join Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers. Palmeiro said the arbitrator "did not find that I used a banned substance intentionally -- in fact, he said he found my testimony to be compelling," but still ruled that he needed to serve the suspension. Palmeiro wouldn't go into the specifics but left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed. A grievance filed by the players' union against the suspension was denied by arbitrator Shyam Das. Appearing with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and other baseball stars before a congressional committee on March 17, Palmeiro made an opening statement in which he said: "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." Palmeiro was so emphatic in his denial of steroid use that he pointed his index finger at the panel, and expressed indignation over accusations made by former slugger Jose Canseco, who cited Palmeiro as a steroid user in his tell-all book. In an interview on the CBS television show "60 Minutes," Canseco -- who also testified before Congress -- said he had injected Palmeiro with steroids. Government Reform Committee chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., who led the steroids inquiry, was traveling out of the country on Monday and couldn't be reached for comment, spokesman Rob White said. "If true, this is disheartening news for those of us who believed Mr. Palmeiro was a key ally in our effort to rid sports of performance enhancing drugs," White said. White House spokesman Scott McClellan said President Bush considers Palmeiro "a friend and he believes him" when he says he never intentionally took steroids. On July 7, Palmeiro took part via conference call in a round-table discussion about how to rid sports of steroids with Davis and representatives from the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball. Palmeiro seemed contrite on the conference call, saying he hoped there was something to be gained from his suspension by educating players to be more careful about what they put in their bodies. "I want to apologize to MLB, the Baltimore Orioles organization, my teammates, and most of all, my fans," Palmeiro said. "Given my role with the No Tolerance Committee and my relationships with Congress, I feel the need to communicate a serious message to my fellow players and to kids everywhere." Palmeiro played against the White Sox on Sunday night, but began serving his suspension immediately and was not in the lineup for the start of Monday's home game against Chicago. He stands to lose $163,934.42 of his $3 million salary during the suspension. Orioles owner Peter Angelos expressed support for Palmeiro in Monday's conference call. "I am truly saddened by today's events," Angelos said. "I have known Rafael Palmeiro for many years. ... I know from personal experience that his accomplishments are due to hard work and his dedication to the game." I still think the fact that it's only a 10 day ban is BS. |
![]() |
|
| Lustre | Aug 1 2005, 10:12 PM Post #2 |
|
I'm On Top Of The World
![]()
|
I was surprised to hear this. Especially after him in front of congress. He has lots to lose if it can be proven he used throughout his career. Maybe not a Hall of Famer. |
![]() |
|
| Sushi_Error | Aug 2 2005, 12:32 PM Post #3 |
![]()
Sushi o.O
|
Why Raffy, why?? ;cry; How does Palmeiro get caught, and Giambi is scotch-free?? I just don't get that. Another thing was that if he did lie when he spoke under oath to the US congress back in April is there any proof that he did use steroids? but then there is the fact that he only got on HR back in April and now he has 17 HRs, etc; his numbers have gone up. |
![]() |
|
| Leaf Lover | Aug 2 2005, 02:19 PM Post #4 |
|
Senior Member
|
I was one who belived he wasn't a Hall of Famer even before this positive test... this just give me more evidence to back up my argument. |
![]() |
|
| Canucks fan | Aug 2 2005, 02:22 PM Post #5 |
|
Numero uno
![]()
|
Mariners pitcher Ryan Franklin was also suspended today for 10 games |
![]() |
|
| Lustre | Aug 2 2005, 09:09 PM Post #6 |
|
I'm On Top Of The World
![]()
|
tough choice on him being a Hall of Famer. Even before this. He has some incredible numbers though. I heard that Sushi, he had like one home run for awhile this season, then all of a sudden got a bunch. Makes you think. Also, in the beginning of his career, he led the league in singles. Not many homers. Then goes on a stretch of seasons with at least 38 homers. I don't think they can prove he ever took steroids before this. |
![]() |
|
| Canucks fan | Aug 3 2005, 01:32 AM Post #7 |
|
Numero uno
![]()
|
MLB doesn't release what drugs players tested positive for (another horrible aspect of their awful policy) but according to a NY Times source/insider with "direct knowledge" of MLB's drug-testing program, he tested positive for stanozolol. It's an anabolic steroid that is NOT available or found in any dietary supplements. So the claim that he took this unknowingly appears to be BS. It's the same thing that Ben Johnson tested positive for. And what happened to him? He was stripped of his gold medal, had his records erased, and was immediately banned for two years and later given a lifetime ban. What's going to happen to Palmeiro? So far it appears it'll just be the 10 day suspension ;noway; The most pathetic thing about this though, is that this test was done weeks ago and Palmeiro and MLB knew the results. He was appealing it during the time he hit his 3000th hit and MLB decided to cover it up and not suspend him then. Yet I seem to recall when Bud Selig introduced this policy, the exact words he used were "Players who test positive will recieve an immediate suspension." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5080202101.html
|
![]() |
|
| « Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic » |








2:23 PM Jul 11