| Welcome to The New Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Real Madrid signs the next great Brazilian | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jul 30 2005, 01:32 PM (50 Views) | |
| Canucks fan | Jul 30 2005, 01:32 PM Post #1 |
|
Numero uno
![]()
|
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?id=131912 MADRID (AP) - The lengthy tug-of-war over Robinho is over and the young Brazilian forward is headed to Real Madrid. The Spanish giant said Robinho would join Aug. 25 on a five-year contract. It did not disclose how much it was paying for the 21-year-old or specify when the player would sign his contract, but Santos said it had released him only after Madrid agreed to pay the $50-million US stipulated in Robinho's buyout clause. ''The player has imposed his unshakable will to play for Real Madrid, rejecting over recent weeks offers from other clubs that were interested in him and the tough position of the directors of Santos,'' Real Madrid said in a statement. Real Madrid secured Robinho's transfer one day after announcing it had signed another Brazilian forward, Julio Baptista, from Sevilla. ''We're not talking about figures,'' Madrid vice-president Emilio Butragueno said in comments posted on the club's website. ''We are happy because these are two excellent reinforcements, both of them very young.'' Robinho hasn't played for Santos since returning from the Confederations Cup in June - trying to pressure the Brazilian club to transfer him. Santos, the defending national champion, has struggled without him. He agreed to return to the club and play for Santos until the Aug. 31 transfer deadline, but only if the team accepted Real Madrid's offer of $30 million and gave him 40 per cent, or $12 million, Santos has said. Santos had been calling on Real Madrid to meet the $50 million buyout clause in Robinho's contract, which ran through 2008. The club will receive $30 million for its 60 per cent share in the clause, and Robinho will earn the other $20 million team spokesman Aldo Neto said. In addition, Robinho will play with the Brazilian club until Aug. 25. ''With Santos, we had reached a point that was uncomfortable for all parties, and luckily a solution was found that was good for all,'' Madrid's Butragueno said, without elaborating. ''We wanted him to arrive as early as possible, but we understand the position of Santos' president and he will arrive here on the 25th,'' he added. ''It is the end of a story that has been too long for the good of the club and the player.'' Santos president Marcelo Teixeira told the Brazilian club's website that the deal was ''an excellent result for Santos.'' Robinho could return to Santos' lineup as early as Sunday, when the club faces rival Corinthians at home. He is expected to play other five national league matches with Santos. I've seen him play a few times. He's got a lot of talent. |
![]() |
|
| Linz | Jul 31 2005, 11:47 PM Post #2 |
![]()
Go Sabres!!
|
How come none of these guys ever have a last name?!? (or is it, they don't have a first name?) |
![]() |
|
| Canucks fan | Aug 1 2005, 03:32 PM Post #3 |
|
Numero uno
![]()
|
Ever since Pele did it, they've decided to go with just one name whenever they get really good. |
![]() |
|
| « Previous Topic · Sports · Next Topic » |








2:23 PM Jul 11