Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
School says ‘no’ to ‘The Simple Life’
Topic Started: Jan 12 2005, 12:42 AM (52 Views)
Canucks fan
Numero uno
Admin
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6812864/

BUENA VISTA TOWNSHIP, N.J. - The Fox TV reality series “The Simple Life” will not be using a South Jersey school as the setting for one of its episodes.

“The show will not come to Cleary School,” Buena Regional School District Superintendent Diane DeGiacomo said Monday night.

“They needed a commitment from us right away, and we didn’t feel like we could do that,” she said.

The proposed filming had provoked opposition from parents who felt it wasn’t appropriate and feared that it would hold their community up to ridicule.

Producers of the show starring hotel heiress Paris Hilton and her friend Nicole Richie had approached school officials in December, offering to pay $5,000 to film an episode at a school in the mostly rural community 30 miles west of Atlantic City.

The third season, which premieres Jan. 26, will have Hilton and Richie traveling the country trying their hand as interns at various jobs. The idea for the Buena episode was to have the pair work as substitute teachers and cafeteria monitors at the J.P. Cleary Middle School.

School district officials initially were amenable to the idea, and permission forms and a letter from the show’s production company were sent home to parents.

But some parents responded angrily, saying the co-stars weren’t fit role models.

“I just feel that it’s ludicrous that the Board of Education and the administration would invite Paris Hilton to teach 11-, 12-and 13-year-olds, and Nicole Richie, too,” parent Sue Barber said last week. “Their reputation leaves a lot to be desired.”

DeGiacomo said producers had reached a mutual decision with school officials to shelve the idea.

She said she believed that a majority of the community didn’t object to the show being done there, and noted that 340 parents had returned forms giving their children permission to participate, while only 34 had said no.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Lustre
Member Avatar
I'm On Top Of The World
Admin
Good for the school. I don't care for that show. The first season had its moments, but after that, I thought it wasn't that good.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · TV · Next Topic »
Add Reply