Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Outside Course!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Building a Tack Closet
Topic Started: Jan 24 2007, 07:32 AM (1,191 Views)
BAC
Schooling
[ *  * ]
What kind of wood would be best to panel a small home closet that is going to be used to store a couple of saddles and several bridles? We were thinking of cedar or pine, wondering if some woods make for a healthier climate for tack than others? Thank you.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eleanor
Member Avatar
Off visiting Candy Cave, be right back.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
you know what is to funny, is that just below your post was a ad for "Easycloset.com" to funny.

If you are looking to save money you can just go to IKEA and get there pac closet that is want I just put in my tack room in the barn for my saddles.
OR
This is so nice. www.annstuart.com I would have got one or two of them if I could swing it.

BAC
Schooling
[ *  * ]
The Ann Stuart ones are beautiful but we want to use an existing closet and just panel the interior in whatever would be most suitable for storing leather.

BeastieSlave
Schooling
[ *  * ]
I can't offer help about what type of wood is best, but I can tell you what I did. When I designed & built my house, I put a tack closet in my garage. I decided it was more important to condition the space than have fancy paneling (I could only choose one) so the air conditioning went in instead of the pine.

My closet's walls are regular sheet rock. I had my carpenter put a vertical 1x8 in the center of the back wall. I knew I was going to do this and provided blocking between the studs behind it. I attached racks for three saddles to this
In addition to that, I had him run 1x6's horizontally at about 4' and 6' on the back and sides of the closet. These have bridle holders and hooks to hold bits, girths, martingales, etc. I have six bridle holders and about that many hooks. I could use more hooks :innocent:

I've been in the house over four years now and I LOVE my tack closet!! :cloud9: Good luck with yours BAC!

Sing Mia Song
Member Avatar
I'm from the Government and I'm here to help.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just talked to my cabinet-maker husband, and he says that the only choice is aromatic cedar (apparently you can get non-aromatic cedar--who knew?). He said that pine is too likely to bleed sap.

Now, if I could just get him to prove to me that aromatic cedar is the way to go...he promised me a tack trunk 10 years ago. :pissed:

BAC
Schooling
[ *  * ]
SMS, is there a reason your husband recommends aromatic cedar other than for the smell? Thanks so much for the warning about pine, never even thought about the sap, that would be a disaster for the new Antares saddle and bridle that will be stored in this closet.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Barn Aisle · Next Topic »
Add Reply