Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NCAA, 2015
Topic Started: Sep 25 2015, 04:42 PM (288 Views)
vince stravino
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
All my relatives are out in the real world now, but I always enjoy updates on the college game.

Here is one tidbit. See coaches abroad for more info on Korytoski if you choose.

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-soccer/sp.../092515aaa.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnbuildr
Member Avatar
Advanced member
[ *  *  * ]
Interesting article Vince.

Our local Creighton Bluejays team has held onto the no. 1 ranking in NCAA for four weeks now, which is notable in that the no. 1 label usually changes weekly in the early to mid season standings. They are certainly a strong team early on, being 9-0-0 with a 23-3 goal advantage in nine games. However, they have not faced the really good Big East conference opponents as yet.
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Johnbuildr
Member Avatar
Advanced member
[ *  *  * ]
Here is some interesting info on the Omaha hometown no. 1 ranked Creighton Bluejays. They are quite a soccer team really. Have had a chance to watch them in three matches. Consistent quality from front to back line, including the GK who is pretty remarkable himself. Herbers is a point producing machine whose engine is always running wide open.

Up next: Xavier.

The No. 1 Bluejays are 15-0-0 on the season after wins versus Michigan (1-0), Milwaukee (4-0), CSUN (2-1), No. 13 UC Irvine (4-0), Michigan State (1-0), Tulsa (1-0), Northern Illinois (2-0), Seton Hall (4-2), Missouri State (4-0), DePaul (1-0), Drake (2-1), St. John’s (2-1), Butler (1-0), Marquette (3-1), and Villanova (5-1).

The Bluejays return eight starters and 13 lettermen from last year’s team that won the BIG EAST Conference regular-season title, advanced to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals, and finished last season ranked No. 7 in the year-end NSCAA poll.

Junior forward Fabian Herbers (12g, 9a this year) has emerged as a frontrunner for National Player of the Year honors, as he’s contributed at least one point in 14 of Creighton’s 15 wins, including a point in the Bluejays’ first 10 matches. He currently leads the BIG EAST for goals, assists, points per game, and shots on goal per game after earning First Team All-America accolades and BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year honors during a magnificent 2014 season. Last season, he led the conference with 28 points, was second in the league with four game-winning goals, and third in both goals (10) and assists (8). Herbers was also a Third Team CoSIDA Academic All-American last year.

Senior Timo Pitter (7g, 3a this year) paced the league in assists (9), shots (75) and shots on goal (36) during a 2014 campaign that saw him add Second Team All-America plaudits. Pitter was also named BIG EAST Midfielder of the Year in 2014.

Senior goalkeeper Connor Sparrow (0.47 GAA this year) returns in net after ranking second nationally in goals against average (0.49) and 10th in save percentage (.841) a year ago. Sparrow’s career 0.47 goals against average as a Bluejay is the best in Creighton history among goalies with at least 2,000 minutes in net.
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

libero
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Soccer America's previews of today's 2 NCAA semifinals:

Clemson-Syracuse

Stanford-Akron

raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I tried watching the semiifnals but they were both brutal, each ended 0-0 after 90 minutes plus the NCAA's 20 minute sof extra time. On to penalties where Clemson and Stanford each won.

I did not bother watching the final after the semifinal sucked the life out of me. Apparently I missed out as Jordan Morris and Stanford put on a show and crushed Clemson 4-0. This was probably Morris' last college match as Seattle, where Morris played for their academy team, are offering him big $ to sign for them as a "homegrown" player. plus some German teams, undoubtedly tipped off to his potential by Herr Klinsmann are also interested. Morris is a good prospect, I think the US' best attacking prospect since Jozy Altidore.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I only watched bits and pieces of the three games, though I do have the final on DVR (not sure I'll watch it).

The Men's College Cup continues to struggle to find a successful site. The selection of Sporting Park in KC, KS, was an abject failure. The weather was perfect Friday, all four schools were represented and attendance was sparse -- and that's somewhat generous. Sunday's final was played in steady rain, and whoever was there must have been huddled in the concourse or ensconced in suites.

Why the NCAA chose Sporting Park, I don't no other than it's a great facility. There is almost no history of Division I men's soccer in this area. UMKC has a Div. I program, but it's low-key. You have to go to Creighton, SLU or Tulsa to find prominent college programs in this neck of the woods (or prairie).

Full disclosure, I didn't attend despite the opportunity to have a free suite ticket. My interest in college soccer has waned since I retired from the NSCAA.

vince stravino
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I, too, watched the painful semis. If Morris was excellent in the Final, then he was a stinker in the ho-hum semis.

It was brutal to watch.

TonyDE
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Ditto here too. Those semifinals were just brutal to watch.

I did see the final highlights though and Morris was much better than in the semis. I do think he is a good prospect, quick, strong, mobile and a pretty good finisher.

He should soon be busy with the U23 team preparing for that March playoff versus Colombia.

« Previous Topic · College/Youth · Next Topic »
Add Reply