Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2013 U-20 Team
Topic Started: Feb 7 2013, 07:24 PM (5,057 Views)
raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The US roster for the CONCACAF U-20 tournament in Mexico where the US will be in a group with Costa Rica and Haiti.

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Cody Cropper (Southampton FC; Maple Grove, Minn.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Zackary Steffen (FC DELCO Academy; Downington, Pa.)

DEFENDERS (5) : Eric Miller (Creighton; Woodbury, Minn.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (C.D. Guadalajara; Riverside, Calif.), Boyd Okwuonu (North Carolina; Edmund, Okla.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Javan Torre (UCLA; Santa Monica, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (5) : Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Mikey Lopez (Sporting Kansas City; Mission, Texas), Caleb Stanko (SC Freiburg; Holly, Mich.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio)

FORWARDS (5) : Brandon Allen (Georgetown; Old Bridge, N.J.), Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna; Sacramento, Calif.), Daniel Garcia (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Mario Rodriguez (1. FC Kaiserslautern; North Hollywood, Calif.) Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)

The US team is coached by Tab Ramos.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hobbes
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
So no Will Packwood (I just read about his injury, that’s a big blow) and probably no Marc Pelosi either?

So it looks like an abundance of talent up front and maybe some questions in the back?

cheers,
hobbes
Saskatchewan for the CPL: multis e gentibus vires

raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Pelosi is a big loss, I think he is the best long term prospect in this age group but I frankly have no idea what to expect from this team nor from Tab Ramos as coach. Should be interesting. I wonder if BeIN will broadcast this tourney?

Johnbuildr
Member Avatar
Advanced member
[ *  *  * ]
Live streaming only I imagine, r.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/i...0-championship/
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Dr. Z
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I just got an e-mail, in Spanish which is why I am not just pasting it here, saying both Fox Soccer and Fox Deportes will be covering the U20 tournament.
Poniendo el pecho a las balas!

Johnbuildr
Member Avatar
Advanced member
[ *  *  * ]
Hope FOX Soccer carries it, but it is not on their programming schedule as yet.
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sammy Maudlin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Two more players added to the roster, they are Dillon Serna, a recent signee with Colorado out of the University of Akron, a midfielder, and German-American forward Jerome Kiesewetter of Stuttgart.

Per the linked article,

Quote:

Several top U-20 candidates for the backline were unavailable. John Anthony Brooks is starting for German second division leader Hertha Berlin, Birmingham City's Will Packwood is sidelined with a broken leg, and Walker Zimmerman, taken by FC Dallas in the first round of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft, is also injured.

Liverpool added 18-year-old midfielder Marc Pelosi to its Europa League roster, but he won't travel with the Reds for their game on Thursday at Zenit St. Petersburg.

John, the games will be televised by Fox channels in both English and Spanish.

Roosevelt
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
An admittedly giant caveat being that the only forward of the group I've seen play is Villareal, but I find it odd that his Galaxy teammate Jack McBean did not garner consideration over two college players. He's scored goals in the CCL and you'd think could offer something.
Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us f**k-all

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I did not see the game but apparently the US defeated Haiti 2-1 today in their U20 opener, goals by Luis Gil and Daniel Cuevas.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I was pretty unimpressed with the US. Lack of coordination in the back, inability to play the ball out of the back and not much possession. Haiti took the game to the US for several stretches, particularly in the second half. Cuevas was the only starter that left much of an impression; Lopez as a sub to a lesser degree.

I didn't think the US looked suited to a 4-3-3. Switching to a 4-4-2, which appeared to purely a defensive move after Haiti pulled back a goal, seemed to suit the personnel better.

hobbes
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I came here to talk about your poorly coached, underperforming team, because I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about mine.

Given what seems to a foreigner as a wealth of options, I couldn't fathom how lost the U.S. looked. I don't know much about these players, but my understanding is that Torre and Okwounu are both natural central defenders and Stanko and O'Neill are playing d-mid for their clubs? I didn't figure that would be too detrimental at this age level. But I was wrong.

Stanko and O'Neill both look decent talent-wise, but looked lost on what should have been routine long balls and communicating . . . Okwounu was absolutely gifting 15 yards of space on the flank to Haiti whenever they felt like hitting a long outlet. He almost looked like a central defender rushing over to cover for a right back that had disappeared. Except he was the right back.

Haiti had five mids and the U.S. had one ball winner and five guys who seemed to have no interest in working to get the ball back.

I think there's plenty of talent there (though I was pretty disappointed in Mario Rodriguez), but I have no idea what Ramos was doing. And Shel I agree completely about the 4-3-3.

Cuevas played very well. I thought Kiesewetter and Lopez helped. Trapp was over-run at times, but did fine.

And credit to Haiti. That's a pretty athletic team with some pace and some solid technique. The bobbly pitch was a bit of an equalizer, but I thought Haiti played the U.S. pretty even and maybe deserved something out of it.

The big thing is the U.S. got three points. So where do they go from here and can they fix their issues. The QF is all that really matters and no one will remember this performance if they qualify.

cheers,
hobbes
Saskatchewan for the CPL: multis e gentibus vires

TonyDE
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Reviving this thread, the US did qualify for the U20 World Cup in Turkey and to prepare for that they will be playing in the Toulon tournament in France starting next week. Tab ramos named this group of players for that tournament:

GOALKEEPERS: Cody Cropper (Southampton FC; Maple Grove, Minn.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.)

DEFENDERS: Eric Miller (Creighton; Woodbury, Minn.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (C.D. Guadalajara; Riverside, Calif.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Jeffrey Payeras (C.S.D. Municipal; Hawthorne, Calif.), Caleb Stanko (SC Freiburg; Holly, Mich.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Javan Torre (UCLA; Santa Monica, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Marlon Hairston (Louisville; Jackson, Miss.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Mikey Lopez (Sporting Kansas City; Mission, Texas), Collin Martin (Wake Forest; Chevy Chase, Md.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio)

FORWARDS: Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna; Sacramento, Calif.), Daniel Garcia (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Alonso Hernandez (C.F. Monterrey; El Paso, Texas), Alfred Koroma (Akron; Southlake, Texas), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders Academy; Mercer Island, Wash.), Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.)

A lot of foreign based players there plus, encouragingly, a fair number of players from MLS youth teams.

One player who will not be there is Hertha Berlin's 6'4 centerback John Anthony Brooks, as this article explains he asked out because he needs a break before Hertha starts play next August in the Bundesliga. Brooks said he only had 8 days off last year so wants to be fresh for the new season. He did become a regular for Bundesliga 2 champions Hertha Berlin this past season and perhaps most intriguingly he did not collect a yellow card even though he plays in central defense!

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Some pretty disappointing results for the US at the Toulon tournament they won 1 and lost 3, beating DR Congo but losing to France, Colombia and South Korea. In the process the US scored 3 times while giving up 7 goals Colombia by the way won the group and tomorrow face Brazil for the tournament championship.

On to the U20 World Cup and Tab Ramos added some professional players (but not Hertha's Brooks) to the roster, here is the US team for the U20 World Cup beginning later this month in Turkey,

GOALKEEPERS: Cody Cropper (Southampton FC; Maple Grove, Minn.), Kendall McIntosh (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Zach Steffen (FC DELCO; Downington, Pa.)

DEFENDERS: Eric Miller (Creighton; Woodbury, Minn.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Guadalajara; Riverside, Calif.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Caleb Stanko (SC Freiburg; Holly, Mich.), Javan Torre (UCLA; Santa Monica, Calif.), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders; Seattle, Wash.)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Mikey Lopez (Sporting Kansas City; Mission, Texas), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew; Gahanna, Ohio)

FORWARDS: Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna; Sacramento, Calif.), Danny Garcia (North Carolina; Dallas, Texas), Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Alonso Hernandez (C.F. Monterrey; El Paso, Texas), Mario Rodriguez (1. FC Kaiserslautern; North Hollywood, Calif.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)

Are any of these players regulars with their pro clubs? I'd say only Yedlin, Gil and Villarreal.

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Leading up to this year's U20 World Cup Soccer America with an article on how many U20 players eventually made World Cup rosters for the US, it is an interesting read. From 1999-2003 the US was pretty successful in getting U20 players to move up the ladder to eventually play for the senior team in a World Cup. But since then only Altidore and Bradley have been major contributors to the senior squad.

The article also has a breakdown of TV times for the US' 3 games (time given=EDT)

FRIDAY, June 21
ESPN2, WatchESPN, Univision Deportes
USA-SPAIN (live) 1:45 pm.

MONDAY, June 24
ESPN2, WatchESPN, Univision Deportes
USA-FRANCE (live) 10:45 am.

THURSDAY, June 27
ESPNU, WatchESPN
USA-GHANA (live) 1 pm.

libero
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The poor summer for the US U20 team continues in their opening game of the World Cup, the Washington Post with the US lineup and a video in Portuguese (?) of the game's 5 goals as Spain beat the US 4-1. Jese of Real Madrid b and gerard Deulofeu of Barcelona b each with 2 goals for Spain. Real salt lake's Luis Gil with a late US consolation goal.

The US lineup:

Cody Cropper (Southampton); DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders), Caleb Stanko (Freiburg), Javan Torre (UCLA), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Chivas); Benji Joya (Santos Laguna), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew); Danny Garcia (U of North Carolina), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Jose Villarreal (Los Angeles Galaxy); Alonso Hernandez (Monterrey).

Subs:
Daniel Cuevas (Santos Laguna) for Garcia in 56th.
Mikey Lopez (Sporting Kansas City) for Villarreal in 72nd.
Mario Rodriguez (Kaiserslautern) for Hernandez in 46th.

The jury is still out on whether any future national team players will come from this age group but as a team it seems the US is once again disappointing in an age group tournament.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · College/Youth · Next Topic »
Add Reply