Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2011 U-20 Team
Topic Started: Jan 21 2011, 10:43 AM (795 Views)
raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I thought I would start a new thread for this new group of players coming up through the US U-20 program. I found this article on si.com about the current team and predicting their likely roster for CONCACAF World Cup qualifying in that age group:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...u20s/index.html

Coaches of course are naturally optimistic but Thomas Rongen seems pretty upbeat about the current U-20 pool of players,

Quote:

"We have some very good players in this cycle," he says. "I don't know yet whether we have those difference-makers like we had in 2007 with Freddy [Adu], Jozy [Altidore] and Michael [Bradley] but we have a more complete team. We are two to three deep in terms of quality, so we can overcome injuries and make changes and not lose much. That is a luxury we haven't had before."

Looking at the writer's picks for a prospective team for qualifying, all but a few are professional players which is one significant change from past US teams. But we all know prognosticating how youth players will perform in an international competition is always difficult and almost as hard as picking whch ones will become productive professional players.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

libero
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Looking at the writer's picks for a prospective team for qualifying, all but a few are professional players which is one significant change from past US teams. But we all know prognosticating how youth players will perform in an international competition is always difficult and almost as hard as picking whch ones will become productive professional players.

Thanks for the article, it is a good read. But prognosticating youth teams is not easy. Also remember when this group played in the U-17 World Cup two years ago they were generally considered to be disappointing.

Sammy Maudlin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
This is the team Thomas Rongen has picked for CONCACAF U20 qualifying:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Zac MacMath (Philadelphia Union; St. Petersburg, Fla.), Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.)

DEFENDERS (8): Gale Agbossoumonde (Djurgardens IF; Syracuse, N.Y.), Greg Garza (Estoril Praia; Grapevine, Texas), Moises Hernandez (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas), Sacir Hot (New York Red Bulls; Fair Lawn, N.J.), Sebastien Ibeagha (Duke Univ.; Missouri City, Texas), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United; Indianapolis, Ind.), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA; Lancaster, Pa.), Korey Veeder (Columbus Crew; St. Petersburg, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United; San Francisco, Calif.), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union; Sacramento, Calif.), Moises Orozco (Tigres; Oxnard, Calif.), Dillon Powers (Univ. of Notre Dame; Plano, Texas), Kelyn Rowe (UCLA; Newport Beach, Calif.)

FORWARDS (5): Eder Arreola (UCLA; Chino Hills, Calif.), Conor Doyle (Derby County; McKinney, Texas), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim; Silver Spring, Md.), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps; El Paso, Texas), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich; Irvine, Calif.)

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/41638...up-on-pros.html

The US plays Suriname on March 29 and Panama on April 2 in group play. Both games will be on ESPN Deportes.

Juan Agudelo was left off the team as he has already moved up and is playing with the senior team although I am guessing he will rejoin the team if they make the U20 World Cup. The linked article also lists some other players who Rongen left off the team. As discussed here this team is almost entirely made up of pros. I cannot recall another US U20 team which had that many pros.

libero
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
You never know what to make of a youth team and its prospects until you see them actually playing. From what little I have read most of these pro players are on their clubs respective youth or reserve teams. The forward Wood at 1860 Munich sees occasional action for his club's first team. Most of the MLS players just arrived this year at their clubs but from what I have been reading the DC United centerback Kitchen is expected to start and has been impressive in DC United's preseason.

raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
In the CONCACAF forum they also are discussing this tournament and the US plays it's first game tonight at 7 pm CDT, ironically the same time as the senior team plays Paraguay. But apparently the games are available on ESPN Deportes Tv or via online at espn3.com or concacaf.com. The espn3 site allows you to view a replay of the game at any time, I do not know if that can be done at the CONCACAF site.

raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Last night I watched a replay on espn3.com of the US' first game, an easy 4-0 win over Surinam. Not too much to really judge the team by as Surinam barely provided any opposition, I only watched the first half where the US were 3-0 up and the goalie Macmath was not even tested. Frankly neither were the defenders. The midfielders and attackers, however, had an opportunity to show their stuff against a packed in defense. A couple of players caught my eye, midfielder Lletget is a good passer and took all of the US set plays, his midfield partner Rowe reminded me a bit of Joe Max Moore while right sided forward Joe Gyau is not afraid to run at defenders. Hopefully Panama provide more of a test for this team but the main thing for them will be prepared for the all important quarterfinal which will determine whether they advance to the U20 World Cup.

For those interested this was the US' starting team vs Surinam:

--Wood------Doyle-----Gyau--
-------Lletget------Rowe-----
-------------Okugo----------
Garza--Kitchen--Agbossoumonde--Valentin
------------MacMath--------

libero
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Good review of the game raconteur and I pretty much agree with your overall perceptions of the team. Next game vs Panama should provide a better way to measure them but it will be that quarterfinal where we will see how well the team responds to pressure. That is where we will really find out what these boys have.

by the way the CONCACAF site does have games available on delay so anybody interested can go there and view replays of any match played in this tournament.

libero
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
So much for this group of U-20 players making a name for themselves in the U-20 World Cup. They are not even going there after losing 2-1 to host country Guatemala. Guatemala played with more heart and desire. Maybe the home crowd intimidated the US team but this was the type of game where you can learn about a team and to be honest this US team did not show much. The nice play from the previous two games went up in smoke as they played nervously, had trouble combining on passes and rarely created danger. Meanwhile defensively the team also were vulnerable, Agbossomounde is supposed to be the veteran on this team having played on the 2009 team but he looked very rough around the edges and fouls way too much.

The team were missing through injury forward Wood and midfielder Arreola who each did Ok in the one game they played in the group stage but that is no excuse for this lackluster display. To me no US player really stood out, if i had to name one I might say Gyau who is skillful on the wings but also indulges in overindividualism at times. My guess is it will be awhile before any of these players are candidates for the senior team. This is the nature of youth teams, players can be prone to mistakes and rapid changes in form but when the chips were down this supposedly talented group just did not produce.

raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
To me no US player really stood out, if i had to name one I might say Gyau who is skillful on the wings but also indulges in overindividualism at times. My guess is it will be awhile before any of these players are candidates for the senior team. This is the nature of youth teams, players can be prone to mistakes and rapid changes in form but when the chips were down this supposedly talented group just did not produce.

Of course the real point pf youth national teams is less about winning age group tournaments (however nice that may be) but to develop players for the senior team. It is too early to tell if any of these players will make an impact with the senior national team but I would agree with libero's comments that from the three matches I saw of this group there really are no standout players right now who look like sure things for the next level. Makes a little surprising then to have read the article which started this thread where Rongen and others were commenting on how this was the most talented US U20 group ever. Hard to see where those comments came from after watching this group play in three qualifying games. But again libero is right, young players are always hard to predict future success but these international youth tournaments are often fun to watch for the chance to spot a diamond in the rough.

Rufus T. Firefly
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Here is goal.com's match report on the game for those interested:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=g...mpionshipquarte

You guys are correct, the real point of national youth teams is developing players for the future for the senior team. But when you are involved in a competition you want to win and the best way to test players is to see how they will react to a hostile situation. This group of youth players did not react well apparently. That does not necessarily mean many of them will not go on to become productive professional players but they failed their first real test of adversity. If they can pick themselves up from this failure to qualfy then that will say a lot about their mental strength. But bottom line is this was a failure and the first time since 1995 that the US has not qualified for an U20 World Cup. Some of this group may make their way on to the team which next year will attempt to qualify for the 2012 Olympics so they may get a chance for national youth team redemption. For now they need to go back to their clubs and continue their professional development, perhaps it is still possible to get a few good national teamers out of this group yet?

Sammy Maudlin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thomas Rongen is out as US U20 coach and Tab Ramos will coach a US U20 team which will play two games in France later this month:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=a...-under-20-ramos

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · College/Youth · Next Topic »
Add Reply