Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
US U-17 (R)
Topic Started: Oct 23 2009, 09:59 PM (761 Views)
raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The U-17 World Cup is starting this weekend in Nigeria and here is a pretty good preview of the US team:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal...=goal&type=lgns

The roster is:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Keith Cardona, Earl Edwards, Spencer Richey
DEFENDERS (6): Zachary Herold, Perry Kitchen, Boyd Okwuonu, Tyler Polak, Jared Watts, Eriq Zavaleta
MIDFIELDERS (6): Marlon Duran, Luis Gil, Carlos Martinez, William Packwood, Nick Palodichuk, Alex Shinsky
FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo, Victor Chavez, Andrew Craven, Stefan Jerome, Jack McInerney, Dominick Sarle

And the author's projected starting team:

覧覧覧覧Edwards覧覧覧-

Zavaleta幽erold揖itchen猶olak

Shinsky-Duran-Gil-Martinez

覧-McInerney覧-Jerome覧-

The author is pretty confident of this US U-17 team but does mention that there will be 3 significant absentees:

One of the big pre-tournament storylines coming out of the American camp involved three players祐ebastian Lletget, Charles Renken, and Joseph Gyau謡ho didn't make the U.S. roster. While Renken is still recovering from a knee injury and Gyau might not be good enough to crack the Starting XI, the absence of West Ham's Lletget raises some eyebrows. He was a force during the qualifying cycle, scoring goals against Canada and Cuba while helping to anchor the central midfield. Brent Latham at Yanks Abroad thinks the 17-year-old didn't want to leave his club side and Cabrera has said he would only include players who were willing to join the team. Back in May, however, Lletget expressed some dissatisfaction with the U.S. youth system as well as a desire to play for Italy if they came calling. It remains to be seen if he ever suits up for the Red, White, and Blue again.

Since I know next to nothing about any of these players, both those missing and those on the roster, I can't say what these absences will mean to the team. Anybody have any insight? After failing to get out of the group stage at this year's U-20 World Cup (a rarity for the US at the youth level) this U-17 team should at the least have bettering that as it's objective.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I recorded the US' opener against Spain and glanced at it while doing other things last night. It sure began well for the US, a 1st minute red card to a Spanish player for being the last man back and stopping a goalscoring opportunity. A goal a few minutes later when the Spanish goalie dropped a high ball and it was knocked into the net by the US' McInerney. Then Spain despite being a man down, took over and scored 2 goals after some nice buildup play and then hung on for the victory, 2-1. Not a good way to start a tournament, playing 89 minutes up a man and not holding onto the lead but Spain always looked the better team from what I saw. I also don't think any one US player stood out in this match but on paper the US' next 2 opponents should not be as strong as Spain so there is still a good opportunity to advance out of the group.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I watched the game and Yogi's synopsis is right on. Disappointing, but the next two games are winnable.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The US managed a 1-0 win vs. Malawi yesterday in a game that didn't exactly inspire a lot of optimism.

The game was more about Malawi's shortcomings than the Americans' ability. The lone goal came on a huge snafu by the Malawian keeper, who up until then had played well. The US had an edge in shots, but shots on goal were even at five each. The astounding stats were the US with 11 corners (to no avail) and an incredible 18 offsides by the Africans.

In yesterday's other group game, Spain beat the UAE 3-1 to clinch advancement. Spain leads the group with six points followed by the US and UAE with three and Malawi with a goose egg.

Both the US and UAE are even on goal difference, but the UAE has scored one more goal, which is the tie-breaker after goal difference. That means the US will have to win Sunday to be assured advancement (they could qualify as one of the third-place teams). Game time is at 10 a.m. ET Sunday on ESPNU. Remember to set your clocks ahead Saturday night.

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
shelsoccer,Oct 30 2009
07:01 AM
The US managed a 1-0 win vs. Malawi yesterday in a game that didn't exactly inspire a lot of optimism.

The game was more about Malawi's shortcomings than the Americans' ability.  The lone goal came on a huge snafu by the Malawian keeper, who up until then had played well.  The US had an edge in shots, but shots on goal were even at five each.  The astounding stats were the US with 11 corners (to no avail) and an incredible 18 offsides by the Africans.

It was an incredible slip up by Malawi's goalie, letting a weakly hit shot towrds his midriff lip through his hands and legs and into the net! But as shelsoccer also points out, Malawi were offside 18 times! Did Roy Lassiter ever father any children in Malawi?

It has not been a particularly inspiring fall for either the US U-20 or U-17 teams but this U-17 team do still control their fate and can advance into the second round.

Thank you for the reminder about turning the clocks back!

robdog
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The way things are shaping, a draw could assist the Yanks into the next round. A win would totally guarantee it.
Supporter for FCK, San Lorenzo, Chelsea, Pachuca, Corinthians & Real Betis

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I did not see the match but the US with a 1-0 win over the United Arab Emirates to advance to the round of 16. There the US will face Italy who won their group. All of the pairings are listed here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal...=goal&type=lgns

Noteworthy is that Brazil and Netherlands failed to advance.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Well, after setting the table, I completely blanked out and missed the game. Wasn't due to the time change -- I simply forgot and was blissfully watching an EPL game and reading the paper Sunday morning.

The US benefitted from another goalkeeping error. General consensus is that the US defense has improved greatly during the tournament while the attack, though dominating possession, has had difficulty finishing.

US-Italy game is at 10 a.m. Wednesday on ESPNU. I'll try to remember!

PS: I think there's a replay of the UAE game on ESPN360.com.

robdog
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Didn't see the match, but from the reports that I read, the Yanks had their chances for glory. Oh Well. Need to work on the youth in this country. I think trying to get to the best players is a priority.
Supporter for FCK, San Lorenzo, Chelsea, Pachuca, Corinthians & Real Betis

raconteur
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
2-1 win for Italy. I also ddin't see the game but here are a couple of reports from goal.com that may help give an idea to those of us who didn't see the game on how it went and which players stood out:

Match Recap: US vs Italy

Winners/Losers in US vs Italy

Player Ratings

hobbes
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I had the rare privilege of watching a U17 friendly on the weekend and I thought the U.S. side looked very, very impressive. They beat Canada 2-0 a few days after beating Costa Rica 5-2.

Haji Wright is the star of this U.S. and for good reason. At times it looked like men against boys out there and he didn't play all that long. Alejandro Zendejas had the other U.S. goal and he looks pretty skillful. He's incredibly quick, thought fairly small.

Keegan Kelly sent in some nice balls from the midfield and work hard and I like the strength,balance and touch of Elijah Rice.

Finally Matt Olusunde also looked pretty impressive, but I wasn't sure if it was a case there that he was just bigger, stronger and faster than his opponents. Wright had some of those same qualities, but also just had obvious quality.

I don't know much about these guys other than that, but I thought this looks like it has the makings of a strong U.S. team.

Qualifying starts in February in Honduras.

cheers,
hobbes
Saskatchewan for the CPL: multis e gentibus vires

Rufus T. Firefly
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Reopening this thread with news on the US U17 team's debut in the World Cup in Chile:

USA 0-2 Nigeria

A bad week for US soccer continues. The only good news is Chile and Croatia in the same group tied 1-1. The bad news is Chile is the host nation.

An optimistic preview article written before the competition which also outlines the history of recent US U17 teams.

« Previous Topic · College/Youth · Next Topic »
Add Reply