Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chivas USA
Topic Started: Apr 20 2007, 10:09 PM (1,543 Views)
Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I thought I'd start a separate thread for Chivas USA, the team which until Beckham's arrival in LA has led MLS in sponsorship money brought in. This is the team's ideal starting lineup in the current season: Guzan- Zotinca, Vaughn, Suarez, Bornstein- Marsch, Kljesten, Mendoza-Guevara- Galindo, Razov.

It is similar to last season's team except Guevara plays in place of Loco Garcia and Galindo is there instead of Palencia. The other change is Zotinca, the Romanian at right back where he's steadied the defense and caused Vaughn to move to centerback. Suarez is a year older and slower but Guzan, Bornstein and Kljesten have another year of play and their US national team experiences has helped them develop. Maykel Galindo, the Cuban defector isn't a bad player but he's not Palencia and this is where Chivas USA needs to find someone to help take the goalscoring load off of Razov.

I think overall Chivas USA are a little better than they were last season but they will need to find an alternative goalscorer to Razov. How successful they are in finding that player will determine the team's achievements in 2007.
Esas son las leyendas de futbol mexicano,
En todo Mexico hay un Chiva hermano!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Chivas were successful this week in finding other goalscorers besides Razov. Galindo got their first goal (and his first MLS score) after 30 seconds as Salt Lake's defense fell asleep and Rimando tried to come out when Galindo was way off to an angle away from goal. The Cuban easily dribbled the goalie and scored. He then got his 2nd after another poor play by Salt Lake's Stewart, one of the poorest defenders I've sene in MLS, Razov got a 3rd on a nice header from Mendoza's cross and late in the game Taylor scored as Chivas beat Salt Lake 4-0. To be honest, the visitors from Utah were so bad, and so disorganized defensively Chiavs could easily have scored 7-8 goals but they missed several breakaways and/or easy attempts.

Salt Lake are a good choice as worst team in the league and Freddy Adu looks just like another player out there and not the future superstar some were projecting him to be.

Johnbuildr
Member Avatar
Advanced member
[ *  *  * ]
Pique,Apr 22 2007
10:55 PM

Salt Lake are a good choice as worst team in the league and Freddy Adu looks just like another player out there and not the future superstar some were projecting him to be.

Sad that. Kind of reminds me of some of the hot shot American football running backs drafted out of college to cellar dwelling pro teams. With hardly any good personnel around someone in an 11 man team sport, it is very hard to shine no matter how good the talent of the individual. Not that Adu has ever been a standout in the MLS.
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Martin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
It won't be easy for Adu to shine in Salt Lake. That is a bad team and tactically they seem lost. As Pique said, Chivas had so many breakaways in this match that they could easily have doubled the 4 goals they ended up scoring. Unfortunately for Adu he is being relied upon to do so much for such a poor team at such a young age but it is asking a lot for any 17 year old to take a leading role on a professional club.

Galindo's goals will certainly help his confidence but his speed and dribbling ability look like they have the potential for forming a pretty good partnership with Razov. Zotinca is also a good offseason move as he has really helped stabilize the defense.
Club Sportivo Desamparados

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Another frustrating Chivas' loss to the Galaxy, 3-1. They killed us on the counter and Joe Cannon made some super saves. Typical Chivas USA game, pass the ball well, press the opponents in midfield but make some errors at the back and lose concentration and give up silly goals.

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Apparently Amado Guevara, after disagreements with head coach Preki, has been traded to Toronto. Not sure what Chivas USA are getting in return but this opens up a spot for the club to sign a big time offensive star. Meanwhile Guevara gets to go to play for one of his ex coaches from New York.

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Guevara ended up turning down the trade to Toronto and is now off Chivas' team. He's returned home to Honduras for now but can't play until his contract situation is straightened out. Chivas may still try and trade him within MLS but his value has just dropped through the bottom.

The team did pick up Pablo Nagamura from Toronto and he'll help the thin bench Chivas has, especially in midfield. Kljesten's suspension finally ends and his presence was missed as the team lost both games while he was out. Galindo scored a nice individual goal against DC but the rest of the team, especially Razov took the game off. Chivas has potential but it is a team who can't play consistently and they get distracted too easily defensively and let in easy goals.

Martin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
It seems like Guevara will play next season with Motagua in his native Honduras. Sounds like a win-win situation. Chivas USA get rid of a player who wasn't fitting in and had trouble with the coach and they can now look for a replacement attacking midfielder while Guavara gets to play back home.

Roosevelt
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
You think, Martin? Even though I'm supportive of Bradley as the NT manager, IMHO trading one of just 13 DP slots for what amounts to, is it 400K in cap space?, will hurt this team for the next few years. Theyre in the only MLS market with two teams and the Gals will almost certainly have two DPs next season. I'm not sure how much rival star power that kind of money can bring in.

OTOH, it doesn't seem that a league-wide consensus has emerged on the value of a DP slot, I believe Houston was offered financial help by AEG to seek a DP player and the Dynamo declined, but maybe better suited to a thread for general discussion of the DP rule...
Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us f**k-all

Merengue
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
What are the rules now in MLS about these "Designated Players?" I know a team can have up to two per team, with one of them being a player who was previously making more than the "maximum" salary, i.e players like Donovan, Adu, Palencia (last season), Johnson, etc. And the other slot is a guy like Beckham, Barros Schelotto or Blanco. But what about the old "allocated" player rule. Has that disappeared now? So for instance could Chivas USA replace Guevara, who was an allocated player when he came into the league with another similar player?
http://twitter.com/#!/SocrFutbolForum

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Ramon Ramirez officially retired but I think we all knew after the injury he suffered last year in preseason which kept him out all year long his career was pretty much over. An excellent player and a true Chivas hero over the years. Too bad MLS saw him far from his best. I'll always remember Ramon running up the left side of Guadalajara's midfield.

I have no idea what the rules are in MLS for designated players, etc. I think they make it up as they go along! :lol:

Nice win for Chivas USA last night 2-0 over a pretty good Dallas team. Galindo is really playing well now and causes trouble for every defense with his speed, dribbling ability and he's showing a good nose for goal. Last night's was a 30 meter strike against Dario Sala. And I am glad the Herbalife Galaxy had no need for Shavar Thomas as I think he is starting to form a good defensive partnership with Claudio Suarez and gives the team a good combo of experience and youthful speed in the middle of the defense. With an attacking midfielder to replace Guevara, I think Chivas have the makings of a pretty good team so long as they maintain their defensive concentration.

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
All our attention has been on Gold Cup and Copa America and I haven't even watched any recent Chivas USA games but the team had Guatemalan defensive midfielder Freddy Thompson on trial and it looks like he'll soon be signed by the club. Thompson would have been on Guatemala's Gold Cup team but was injured.

Martin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
While their city rivals are unveiling their newest signing, some English guy with a silly haircut, Chivas USA have brought in for a trial the two Cubans who defected during the Gold Cup, forward Lester More and midfielder Osvaldo Alonzo. It'll be interesting to see if they can follow in Maykel Galindo's footsteps. Galindo has been one of the real revelations of the current MLS season. More didn't play much in this Gold Cup but previously was Cuba's chief offensive threat while Alonzo really impressed me in the two games I saw him play last month for Cuba.

Pique
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I don't think Chivas have made a final decision on the two Cubans but they did pick up Ramon Nunez from Dallas and he came on as a sub last weekend and set up Chivas' 2nd goal in their 2-0 win over Toronto. The Canadian team is about to set a MLS record for most scoreless minutes and they obviously had not scouted Chivas before because they kept trying to push their defensive line forward which made it easy for Chiavs to pass the ball over the top and take advantage of Galindo's speed. That is how he scored the game's opening goal. I don't know who Toronto's coach is but he isn't too bright.

Radio
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Two AWESOME articles on my "com'pay" and fellow Cuban Maykel Galindo.

Cuba's Maykel Galindo finds USA, MLS to his liking

Galindo extends moment of freedom into lifetime

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · MLS · Next Topic »
Add Reply