Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
US U-23
Topic Started: Feb 14 2007, 08:22 AM (4,045 Views)
Martin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Right after the win over Mexico, Bob Bradley called in a group of U-23 players to start to get them ready for whenever Olympic qualifying begins. This looks like a pretty green group and the better known players in this age group (Adu, Feilhaber, Bradley's own son) weren't called up. But these players were selected and the team will go on a short tour of Japan:

Goalkeepers (2) - Tally Hall (Esbjerg FB), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders (7) - Adam Cristman (New England Revolution), Hunter Freeman (Colorado Rapids), Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Nathan Sturgis (Los Angeles Galaxy), Julian Valentin (Wake Forest University), Rob Valentino (University of San Francisco), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew)

Midfielders (7) - Arturo Alvarez (FC Dallas), Nico Colaluca (Colorado Rapids), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Will John (Kansas City Wizards), Quavas Kirk (Los Angeles Galaxy), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Ryan Solle (New England Revolution)

Forwards (4) - Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire), Michael Harrington (Kansas City Wizards), Jacob Peterson (Colorado Rapids), Jamie Watson (Real Salt Lake)

Club Sportivo Desamparados
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Merengue
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
I am trying to recall who else who is eligible and pretty well known was not called into this camp other than the three (Adu, Feilhaber, Bradley Jr.) that Martin mentioned. I'm trying to recall the 2005 US U-20 team and all I can think of are Marvell Wynne, Danny Szetela (still on the current U-20 squad), Samuel Ochoa and goalie Quentin Westburg.
http://twitter.com/#!/SocrFutbolForum

Roosevelt
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
More pretty well-forgotten than well-known at this point, but as an aside (and a reminder of just how precarious the route from 'gifted teen' to 'good young player' can be) I saw the other day that Craig Capano (a tiny but talented midfielder) who was actually captain of the U-20's in July of 2004 and would still be eligible for this team, now finds himself reduced to trying to catch on with RBNY after two years on the shelf with a knee injury.
Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us f**k-all

Gunners
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Martin,Feb 14 2007
08:22 AM
Right after the win over Mexico, Bob Bradley called in a group of U-23 players to start to get them ready for whenever Olympic qualifying begins. This looks like a pretty green group and the better known players in this age group (Adu, Feilhaber, Bradley's own son) weren't called up. But these players were selected and the team will go on a short tour of Japan:

Goalkeepers (2) - Tally Hall (Esbjerg FB), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders (7) - Adam Cristman (New England Revolution), Hunter Freeman (Colorado Rapids), Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Nathan Sturgis (Los Angeles Galaxy), Julian Valentin (Wake Forest University), Rob Valentino (University of San Francisco), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew)

Midfielders (7) - Arturo Alvarez (FC Dallas), Nico Colaluca (Colorado Rapids), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Will John (Kansas City Wizards), Quavas Kirk (Los Angeles Galaxy), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Ryan Solle (New England Revolution)

Forwards (4) - Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire), Michael Harrington (Kansas City Wizards), Jacob Peterson (Colorado Rapids), Jamie Watson (Real Salt Lake)

From this group, I'd expect a first-choice lineup of:

Seitz; Freeman, Ianni, Sturgis, Ward; Kirk, Khlestjan, Holden(??) Alvarez; Barrett, Peterson

I really have no idea who will join Khlestjan in central midfield. Maybe Holden? Maybe Colaluca? In any case, I'm sure everyone will play. By the way, I believe Michael Harrington is a defender.

Martin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562138644

0-0 w/ Japan's U-23, per the article Seitz made several outstanding saves to preserve the tie.

USA -- Seitz, Franklin, Valentino, Sturgis, Ward, Kirk (Zizzo, 46), Kljestan, Lowry, Alvarez, Cristman (Peterson, 69), Watson (Harrington, 83).

Gunners, I think you are right about Harrington, I thought he was a defender, a left back if I recall. But the pre tour also listed Christman as a defender and here he is lined up as a forward. I am not familiar with him so I have no idea what is his natural position.

Gunners
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Christman is a reserve forward with the New England Revolution. To put it bluntly, he's not very good. Obviously, Bradley wants to get a look at many different players, but I'd be very surprised to see Christman make the final squad.

Roosevelt
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Peter Nowak has announced his training camp roster in advance of a two match mini-tour of China. They'll train for a week at Home Depot Center beginning on Dec. 1 before departing Dec. 8. The games, against the Chinese U-23 national team, are scheduled for Dec. 13 and Dec. 16.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Zac MacMath (St. Petersburg, Fla.), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Hunter Freeman (New York Red Bulls), Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Jon Leathers (Furman University), Mike Randolph (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nathan Sturgis (Real Salt Lake), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Arturo Alvarez (FC Dallas), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Michael Harrington (Kansas City Wizards), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (CD Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas)

FORWARDS (6): Josmer Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Adam Cristman (New England Revolution), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Sal Zizzo (Hannover 96)
Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us f**k-all

Merengue
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for providing this list Roosevelt. Interesting that Chad Barrett, who was on the squad called up earlier this year (see first post in this thread) didn't make this team. Here is a guy who started for a MLS team which made the league semifinals and even if we've heavily criticized him here his exclusion is curious. Perhaps he is injured though?

The Swedish season is over so Davies' addition isn't too much of a surprise, Zizzo never plays so he won't be missed by his club. I've never heard of the defender Feathers who plays college soccer or goalie MacMath. I imagine several potential candidates are unavailable due to the finish of their college soccer seasons so why not try out one or two new faces?

With European clubs not being obligated to release players for CONCACAF Olympic qualifying next spring this team may not be that far off from the team we'll see in the qualifiers. Don't be surprised if players like Adu, Bradley Jr., Spector and Davies are not available for the qualifying series.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
McMath was (is?) a U-17 goalkeeper. Keep in mind that Tally Hall or Quentin Westberg are more likely to end up on the final roster along with Seitz.

Feathers is someone I've never heard of, and I'd like to think I have a decent working knowledge of college soccer. I hope he has some size, because this roster lacks height in central defense.

I'm a little surprised that Kamani Hill isn't on the roster. I believe he's been released by Wolfsburg.

Barret was the only eligible MLS player who played at least 1,000 minutes this season who was not selected.

Martin
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I dug around a bit and shelsoccer is correct, Kamani Hill no longer is with Wolfsburg. Maybe he's trying to catch on with another club now and that could explain his absence from this team? Or Bradley/Nowak saw him at several previous training camps and have decided to look elsewhere?

Next to soccer, track & field is my favorite sport and I would love to see a sprint between three players in this US camp: Wynne, Randolph and Findlay! Now that would be a close race.

How about this starting team for this tour of China? Seitz; Wynne/Freeman, Ianni, Sturgis, Randolph; Holden, Kljestan, Edu, Alvarez; Findlay, Altidore.

I agree with Merengue, this roster may not be that far off from the final qualifying team as most European based players won't be available. Some guys riding the bench like Feilhaber, Zizzo or Nguyen could be allowed to leave by their clubs but the better known ones like Adu, Spector and Bradley likely won't make it over for qualifying.

Merengue
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Martin that proposed starting lineup you listed looks pretty good to me. That looks like a team with some potential. I'm happy to see Arturo Alvarez make this squad. He has a nice shot, pretty good skills and is a pretty good passer. This could be an ideal situation for him to establish himself on the international scene. shelsoccer, you're our Kansas City resident, what do you think of Harrington?

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I like Harrington. He began the year as the starting left mid and was quite productive. He hit the rookie wall about halfway through the season but rebounded nicely, playing left back down the stretch when Burciaga fell out of favor.

He's a good athlete (decent size and speed), acceptable technically, seems to read the game well, understands his role and puts in an honest effort.

I'm undecided about his best position, though I lean towards left back. If he's going to have an impact on this team, I think that's probably his best shot. He's a better player than Ward, imo. He can't match Randolph's speed, but he's bigger. More competition at left mid, with Holden, Alvarez and Gaven all capable of playing that position.

BTW, I've seen Hill's name being thrown around in terms of San Jose.

Merengue
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Thank you for the rundown on Harrington. I've seen Randolph play and he's quick and a pretty decent man marker but he can't pass the ball well at all. If Harrington can pass then he has a good chance to stake a claim at left back. As shelsoccer says Harrington will face a lot more challenges at left midfield on this U-23 team than he will at left back.

Yogi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
According to this article which lists the U-23 team's roster, Eddie Gaven has dropped out and been replaced by Aaron Hohlbein of the KC Wizards,

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArtic...sp_4194311.html

No reason is given for the change but I'm assuming an injury to Gaven? Any idea from our KC fans about Hohlbein?

As I think about this team and the likelihood that most of the foreign based players won't be available, I too think this roster is pretty close to what we can expect to see in qualifying. Let's hope it can do the job. Four years ago a lot of hopes were placed on the Donovan/Beasley group qualifying for the Olympics but they were unable to do so. But this team, unlike that one, will be attempting to qualify on home soil.

shelsoccer
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Interesting that they brought on Hohlbein, a defender, for Gaven. I have to think that Nowak feels pretty comfortable with his midfield, with or without Gaven, and wants to add a taller central defender.

Holhbein, a rookie out of Wisconsin, played a fair amount early in the season. In fact, he started the season opener when Garcia was suspended. He looked generally solid.

Then, he kind of disappeared. I frankly don't know if he was injured or what, but he played very little the last half of the season. KC went with Tyson Wahl off the bench late whenever they had injury or suspension problems.

I doubt Hohlbein is the solution to any perceived or real problems in the back four, but he's worth a look.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · College/Youth · Next Topic »
Add Reply