Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pardon my Rant-----
Topic Started: Jan 2 2018, 10:27 PM (372 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OK, I know I shouldn't but I gotta let off a little steam before I pop a gasket. Its gotta be said so here goes--What's up around here? Now I know people is busy, cost of living is outa sight, North Korea wants to nuke us, people is blowing up stuff and shooting people, People are sick, their wife moved out, life is getting in the way and in short the world kinda sucks right now but really, you guys can't find 30 minutes somewhere to post up some photos or comment on a thread? Bad things happen but know what? Life goes on so get to it. Get off your duff and enter something in Wisconsin Don;s Southern Fried Drag Tour. Post some pics of your stalled build or what you are thinking about building. Better yet, do something about those gray Photobucket images and fill em with some new images or just do the thread again. Don't give me that crap about there are no hosting sites that are free cause there are some. And what is with the Race Winner Banner from 2016?? Gee Mr. Administrator feller, you can't find 5 minutes to fix that or at least take it down? I don't know about the rest of you but I would like to see this little forum continue and grow. Put down your durn cell phones and get off Facebook and make this work. I am an old guy, my hands are arthritic, my back is stiff and my eyesight is equal to Mr. McGoo. I manage to build something or post up a comment even when I don't feel like it. Come on guys, wake up and get to it cause if you don't, you will wake up one day and find there is no SRL. You want that?? I know I don't. Well, I feel a little better. Maybe I woke some up or maybe made some mad. Might be what it takes. Jump in with both feet boys, I know you can swim, I have seen it.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...And I was beginning to think that I was the only one.....probably will tick some people off with these responses....oh well..

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
10:27 PM
OK, I know I shouldn't but I gotta let off a little steam before I pop a gasket.  Its gotta be said so here goes--What's up around here?

I have started asking myself the same question since I started looking at this at the very bottom of the home page:

9 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes

8 guests, 1 members, 0 anonymous members

I have been checking this out just to see the numbers....as an example a couple of weeks ago , on a weekend around 10:30 or so in the morning, I noticed that there was just North of 80 or so "Guest" and 1 or 2 members yet there was nothing posted that morning or that day as I recall. Full disclosure, I don't log in unless I am responding to a thread or otherwise posting something. I have compared these numbers that I am seeing against a couple of other sites similar to this one and there have been times that the guest here will out number the total of the guest and members at site 1 almost 9 to 1 and site 2 aprox. the same here and there.... site 1 has been around about 6 months and site 2 at least 15 years ..maybe longer.

I guess one can presume that there are a bunch of trolls (likely) and lurkers(some what) that come here verses members due to the complete lack of interaction on these forums.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
North Korea wants to nuke us
I am not to worried...Navy has the Ohio class subs for starters...

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018

you guys can't find 30 minutes somewhere to post up some photos or comment on a thread?

biting my tongue.... sore subject w/ me. Lets just say when Freds was in the throes of death last year, the fan boys couldn't get on here quick enough all woe is me with their post. Who really cared? I couldn't have cared less nor I doubt that if anything would take place here that the same bunch will be posting anything at the present incarnation of fredsv2.0

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
Post some pics of your stalled build or what you are thinking about building. 
Perhaps I am part of the problem and not part of the solution, but, I started just posting pictures of the Mustang II Late Model build that I am doing in my Fotki Acct. since the last comment was from 2 years ago...no sense in taking up band width and my time with a W.I.P post...I'll post the finished build here for the 2018 SNRA entry. I don't see as many W.I.P's as I once did, and I am not just talking about this site but others as well....seems all a model is these days is a decent paint job, some decals and maybe a little bit of after market.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
do something about those gray Photobucket images and fill em with some new images or just do the thread again.

I think that the builders who really do care have went back and either reposted the pictures using a different photo hosting site or have re-did the thread all together....after all it was late June/early July that the P-bucket debacle happened...if they haven't done something by now , I doubt they ever will. I do applaud those who took the effort to re do their pictures and keep a thread intact.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
Don't give me that crap about there are no hosting sites that are free cause there are some.
Yes, but you get what you pay for in most instances and free isn't always a good thing....I pay a small nominal fee at Fotki.....no filth, no garbage and worries about malware, just easy photo posting. I take it that you got things figured out with posting pics and using an Apple system O.K

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
.... what is with the Race Winner Banner from 2016??  Gee Mr. Administrator feller, you can't find 5 minutes to fix that or at least take it down?  

There was some discussion about that...I want to say sometime last year perhaps....I don't recall everything with out doing a search and going back but there is an issue with getting into that part of site for some reason to do editing....I think maybe the late "Pop's" did the banner....being a member at large I don't know anything more than that.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
   I don't know about the rest of you but I would like to see this little forum continue and grow.

Who in their right mind wouldn't but I can tell you this....I remember the first forums from the late 90's during the .com boom. Some thrived while others lasted a few months it seemed. From that I learned that it's easier to kill a forum web site than it is to keep it going. It takes little to no effort at all to kill a forum web site where as it takes effort to keep it flourishing. For a site to stay healthy it takes leadership from the admins. and moderators as well as input and participation from the membership. Its like a 3 legged stool, take one of the legs away and it falls over. .....not taking a swipe at the staff here but right now the inmates are running the asylum....

This type of thread conversation that is taking place right here amongst 4 or 5 members is what keeps forums thriving and what I would really like to see and be a part of.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
     Put down your durn cell phones and get off Facebook and make this work.

In there could be part of the problem....trying to read/see this forum or any forum for that matter with an I-Phone and Farcebook being all the rage.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
  I am an old guy, my hands are arthritic, my back is stiff and my eyesight is equal to Mr. McGoo....  I manage to build something or post up a comment even when I don't feel like it.    

I can relate to your issues. I wonder how many of you have come to realize that there just isn't a whole lot of young men joining the ranks of model building. I have had this same discussion with some old rail roaders.... the H.O scale type... same thing is happening to them as well. When we are all dead and gone, so dies the hobby with us. At age 52 I am the last of the Mohicans...sure,there are some younger than me ,but for the most part every one has a few years experience on me. If each one of us does a little, then that will go a long way to insure that at least we will have somewhere to go even if our bodies wont allow us to build like we once did. Even if this site was to turn into a bunch of has been model builders, that sure as heck is a lot better than nothing at all.

Lefturns75,Jan 2 2018
Well, I feel a little better

yea, me too...time to take Miss Amy for a sleigh ride in the frozen tundra of N.E Ks.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
to reply in my defense, I've been on the boat since the day before Thanksgiving and did not have a place to keep my lap top set up this time. and the boat computer has this sight blocked for some reason. I got home today and just now got to check the lobby. I got a few builds to post when things slow down a little on the home front.

Supergluek5
Mike
Only 3 Sports--- Racing, racing, and more racing

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No need for any "defense" Souper, This rant is not pointed at any one person. Am I guilty of some of the things I mentioned? Yes I am and mad at myself because of it. I don't have all the answers, I may not have any of them but at least you replied and gave an opinion and thats a start.

About a year or so ago I made a statement on open forum about the numbers at the bottom of the page and the number of posts. It caused a little agitation and I was called on it. For some time those numbers were 0 or 1 and maybe up to 3. After that, those numbers changed and you would see anywhere from 33 to 60 and still no posts. I know nothing about running a forum or keeping up a site but I call BS on those numbers. Nothing changed except those numbers so I feel they can be changed at will. But, that is not the point, I really don't care about those numbers as I do not feel they reflect anything that goes on here.

Thing is, if there are some opinions that get posted, maybe, just maybe something will change. All of us will agree or disagree on things, thats just the way it is. If the handle gets pulled and all this gets flushed, well, I will just accept it. If something gets changed and I don't care for it, I will accept it.

As for the "Fred" thing, I know nothing about that, I was never a part of that so I can't make any comment.

I have not been a part of this forum as long as some but I have enjoyed my time here. This was a place I could go and not be bombarded with rivet counters, grammar experts or forum Nazis. Heck, I don't have answers, only opinions, some may be right, some wrong but I do hope for a solution.

ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

pljas
[ * ]
I am saddened by the lack of post and this Photobucket thing they want you to upgrade from free to $500.00 dollars a year or they block photo's that have already been posted if I had the money I would sue them I believe that's extortion and hope someone takes this on.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...I thought that p-bucket had committed suicide and kicked the bucket.
I am pretty sure that if there had been a class action suit filed against p-bucket that maybe by now (6 -7 months later after the initial issue) that we might begin hearing of the early beginnings of a law suit.
The ones it hurt the most where the ones that got locked out of their own acct. and that still are. I have been locked out a few times since early July '17 but have managed to sneak back in and retrieve pictures and repost them over in Fotki if they still are relevant to a build that I am doing. The rest I have saved on the PC.
Like I said in the response to Lefturns75 post... I think that the builders who really do care have went back and either reposted the pictures using a different photo hosting site or have re-did the thread all together....after all it was late June/early July that the P-bucket debacle happened...if they haven't done something by now , I doubt they ever will. I do applaud those who took the effort to re do their pictures and keep a thread intact.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Well here's 3rd try at reply!!got bumped off internet and hand to start over from scratch.Try to check in every few days,to see any post.Went through a period of self pity because of eyes and loss of interest in building both
modelrailroads and model cars.was going to sell it all! But seeing what
Brian and bernard and others are building peeks interest again!!
Lefty thanks for rant!!!It open my eyes LOL,here you build with eye problems and other. saw model build by one arm builder WOW!!!what the HECK is wrong with me???Now working on 4 drags for tour Wouldn't have if not for tour and site,great fun last season.Also have 4 cars and one super duper Late mod
planned for SNRA.If it ever stops snowing will be getting smart phone on line or new camera to enter,yes foti seems best.
will just admit it takes 35 attemps at typing,and longer and bigger magnifier!! Rambled enough, lets build and race!!!

old poo out! 1hrr .z.

Gary66
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Fellas, message boards are dying out. The Facebook groups have really took a lot from them. I'm a moderator over at Randy's and we have been down almost a month due to the host screwing up moving to new servers. It will be back up but I can tell you the traffic on that site is , at best, about 25 percent of what it was 10 years ago. Some of that is we have had long time members pass away, we have had some get mad and leave because we wouldn't let them curse and make it their own little playground.

Some of you know I use to put on a Fall Brawl short track build off every year from labor day thru Thanksgiving on Randy's. It was awesome for awhile but it died out due to lack of interest. I tried one more time last year and got 3 builds. So it's done. Fred's forum is gone.

I still check here, and Tom Carter's Spotlight board (used to be Hobby Heaven).

Maybe when the weather warms up we can get back at the bench better and get some more stuff done. To be honest, I should have moved that Fall Brawl to here two or three years ago , maybe it would still be kicking.

Support your local short track!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Intriguing and insightful post.... :)))

Gary66,Jan 14 2018
11:53 AM
Fellas, message boards are dying out. The Facebook groups have really took a lot from them..

Gary, I am going to respectfully disagree with you on this....I belong to several other forums not related to anything model building that apparently have farcebook follower's posting more or less the same thing between the forum and farcebook , yet the forums are gaining new members and thriving despite the happenings of farcebook. I think the big reason that the young millennials are flocking to farcebook in droves is the ease at which to post pictures verses taking a few extra moments to post to a forum. In their got to have it and have it right now world, model building would be considered to be counter productive. Then again you have wonder how many have quit the farcebook life and went back to the forums to get away from the drama.

Gary66,Jan 14 2018
I'm a moderator over at Randy's and we have been down almost a month due to the host screwing up moving to new servers. It will be back up but I can tell you the traffic on that site is , at best, about 25 percent of what it was 10 years ago. Some of that is we have had long time members pass away,.....

I am by no means taking a shot at Randy's site, but I wonder if the traffic is down, in part, because of NASCAR's numbers ,over all, being down and as such a NASCAR related site even if its just replica builds.
I have stated this before in a prior post, but it bears repeating. At age 52, I am the last of the Mohicans. Sure, there are some builders that are younger than me , but for the most part everyone is either around my age or older. As we get older , time takes its toll on our bodies and we end up having to deal with aliments and afflictions that prevent us from building. When we die, the hobby dies with us. If this site was to turn into a bunch of has been builders, I would hope to think that at least there would be plenty of dialog to fill the void of new builds. For this hobby to survive , we need to get the young men of today interested and involved.

Gary66,Jan 14 2018
we have had some get mad and leave because we wouldn't let them curse and make it their own little playground....

Good riddance....you have to wonder how many visitors and lurkers were turned off and turned away. This goes along with getting the young men of today involved and by young men I am saying ages around 12 up to High School age. I am not implying that the kids should be taking over , rather that they be involved and learn so as to keep the hobby alive. I am not taking moral issues and trying to shove it down anyone's throat ,but besides the foul language, did the visitors see any objectionable avatars or inappropriate pictures and I am not talking about the stars and bars either. Any decent parent with a young builder or potential young builder in the family is not going to allow their child to be subjected to site with adult oriented material.

Gary66,Jan 14 2018
Some of you know I use to put on a Fall Brawl short track build off every year from labor day thru Thanksgiving on Randy's. It was awesome for awhile but it died out due to lack of interest. I tried one more time last year and got 3 builds. So it's done..To be honest, I should have moved that Fall Brawl to here two or three years ago , maybe it would still be kicking.

Same thing has happened here..so to speak...I entered a couple of C.B.P's. They where fairly strong out of gate but never came to fruition. Ended up with a couple more back burner builds.

Getting builders to commit to a build project and then getting them to commit the time to building seems to be at issue. An annual Fall Brawl short track build off would be interesting...particularly if there could be a way to involve more than just one forum....a larger pool of willing participants.

Gary66,Jan 14 2018
Fred's forum is gone..

What I am about to say will more than likely upset some trolls ,their ilk and his minions that will be reading this shortly...my give a darn got broke a long time ago...if you liked freds or are a member at Short Track Forums to each his own...I've read everyones take on things, now here is mine.

Here is the post mortem:

Social media did not kill freds, my wife and me didn't kill freds rather freds died a slow, painful suicide.
Back in 2014, before I joined here, I was a moderator at freds. The internal workings of the site was wrought with issues due to spam, phishing, malware, etc, etc. fred was begging for someone..anyone to help get the issues fixed and keep the site up and going after being down for a week. My wife is quite knowledgeable in this area so I asked her if she could be of any help....knowing what building and being a part of that site meant to me, she agreed to help. She was placed as an Admin. so that she could work deep within the bowels of the site despite going thru chemotherapy at the time.....she did it "for the guys" as she would say. Her efforts did allow the site to remain up and going while we were both still a part of the site. The web host at that time was godaddy....godaddy would not provide any support ..to the site, to fred, to no one. Numerous times my wife Amy explained to fred that he needed to get away from godaddy and go with another web host...she provided him with several viable options and a working ,seamless transition plan. He would have nothing of it..he was infatuated with duhnica patwreck and her sponsorship of godaddy and its related filth which he had no issue with but rather embraced it despite the issues it was causing within the day to day operations of keeping the website up and running.
There were a couple of other issues that happened at freds that helped me to make the decision to get away from there and never look back.
Not full knowing, but I would be willing to bet that freds was still with godaddy right up to its final hour.

Gary66,Jan 14 2018

Maybe when the weather warms up we can get back at the bench better and get some more stuff done.

I thought it was the other way around where the colder temps kept us inside and at the bench building....especially this year with the cabin fever epidemic and at the first sign of warmer weather we all go outside.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Modelers,

Since the posting of my last builds the photobucket eruption occurred. I have kept on building but have not tried to post anything because of photobucket. Plus I worked more than usual the last quarter of 2017. I have even worked some during my time off this 2 weeks at home. I have not tried to upload anything to my photobucket account. And I believe this one of the reasons there are not anything being posted on here or many other forums. And as Gary66 stated the ease of posting photos on facebook has cause a lot of builders to post their builds on there. I recognize a lot of names on there that used to be active on the forums I am a member of. I hope to be able to post photos of the several builds I have soon.

Supergluek5
Mike
Only 3 Sports--- Racing, racing, and more racing

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
sm2 tong roll shoo
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Richard Nixon

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
There is a "replacement" as it were, for Fred's called Short Track Models. this site has brought back members who had gotten away from Fred's for whatever reason. From what I can see, there seems to be decent activity there.

I think I managed to move 95%+ of my pics from PB....haven't checked lately.
But just over a year ago, I lost what pictures I had save on my computer when it crashed permanently. And not just photos of my OLD builds, but quite a few other pics that had been taken with a "borrowed" digital camera and had to remove them from that camera.....though a few of those were copied into PB and have them that way....
However, in getting my computer rebuilt, I went with a Linux operating system. For whatever reason, pics I had save to CD's will not copy over all the way, if it even opens. After having this issue, I tried opening them on the local library computer and the open up fine....
Sadly, I cannot take the computer back to the party that built it as he passed away last summer. Was not doing all that well when he worked on my computer. took him almost 4 months to finish it, with a little "push" from me....

I have a new work table set up, but outside of some models and parts scattered around it, still cannot move the 3 feet or so from the computer to try and work on something. To some degree, it is the lack of a close by hobby shop or even a Hobby Lobby, to buy paints, as I like to see in hand what I buy, not via online.

What I have more or less become, is a kit collector. After tossing just about every kit and build in preparation for the move from FL to NM, as I thought about getting back into Model Railroading. That idea came to a screeching halt when I saw how expensive THAT hobby had gotten to be. All of a sudden the price of model kits did not seem so bad, and that was back when a good majority of them were still under $20. So it was back to wanting to get back into model car building.
eventually made a work table out of an old solid core door, after shortening it a bit. Finally started building a couple of kits, but for whatever reason, I could not keep at it.... So I started buying more and more kits. and for the 1st time, I started buying multiple kits of one type of car. As a result of this, now have 12 AMT/DTR Grant King sprint/supermod kits, about half that in the old Edmunds supermodified kits, a nice collection of the Super Stocker Monte Carlo and GTO kits, with other kits bought for donor bodies (glad of that since those are hard to come by) none racing, I have at minimum 5 of the old Lindberg issues of the '34 Ford Pickup/Stake bed (for those who might be curious,the versions of this kit that do not show the stake bed as an option, the parts are in the boxes). And just ordered another one of these Lindberg versions. Not sure where I found it, but came up with what I believe was the first reissue by AMT of this kit, the first with the stake bed. What is cool about that version, is the dual rear tires. that have not been seen (as far as I know) since!
So how many kits do I have since 2005? Gave up counting when I hit 100, a few months ago...
And since 2012, I have unloaded a number of kits. Not so much as to get some $$ when I was really $$ strapped between 2012 & 2015. A few have been given away as "payment" for some fabrication work, that I don't feel comfortable doing right now.

Sorry for the lonnnnnnnnnnnnng "story".

And no, I don't stop by here all that often, mostly because I forget to. Can't explain why.
Ed K

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome back!photos of some of your builds give me a shot to build.Where in
N.M.?feel in love with Las Cruz wife won't move. great sounding stash,who needs more??? B) fbr

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Albuquerque from July 2005 to May 2014...belonged to the Albuquerque Model Car Club for just under 2 years.......kinda' wished I'd joined earlier than I did. Great group of people. Can't just say guys as there was a mother, daughter and son group that were/are members, and yes, all three of them built some nice looking models, basically out of the box....nothing wrong with that!
If there is ever a private stash I'd like to look through is the president of the club's collection. He buys EVERY new model car/truck kit that comes out!! Then, at the monthly meetings he passes them around for the members to look inside the boxes! Great group of people. No back biting, no negative comments on any builds that were displayed!
Ed K

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
sentsat71,Jan 21 2018
08:07 AM
Albuquerque from July 2005 to May 2014...belonged to the Albuquerque Model Car Club for just under 2 years.......kinda' wished I'd joined earlier than I did. Great group of people. Can't just say guys as there was a mother, daughter and son group that were/are members, and yes, all three of them built some nice looking models, basically out of the box....nothing wrong with that!
If there is ever a private stash I'd like to look through is the president of the club's collection. He buys EVERY new model car/truck kit that comes out!! Then, at the monthly meetings he passes them around for the members to look inside the boxes! Great group of people. No back biting, no negative comments on any builds that were displayed!

I used to run with that bunch in the early to mid 1990's when we lived in Albuquerque. Great group of people. "Big John" Pattison was my mentor on the airbrush ....... I still aspire to be half as good as he is. Here are a couple of his builds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)))
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
He was still a member when I was part of that group. Don't know I saw these particular 2 builds, but he brought one that had a similar paint scheme as the Challenger....maybe a Barracuda...
IIRC he moved from ABQ in either 2013 or early 2014, to Grants, NM...
Ed K

Promodmerc
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm back now since the horrid yellow background is gone. It messed with my eyes terribly.
I couldn't stand to be on the forum for more than a few minutes.

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Holy cow, we got some results. :))) There are people to thank and I thank them, you know who you are. My approach over the years apparently did not catch anyone's attention enough. :lol: I will try to get up a schedule and entry area for the stock cars, SNRA, this weekend. Also a couple of awards to print and get out.

God's Blessings to all.

Dave chargincharlie B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

« Previous Topic · TOWN HALL · Next Topic »
Add Reply