Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'32 Ford Altered; My first dragster
Topic Started: Sep 30 2017, 06:36 PM (420 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Like the topic description says, this is my first dragster build, so bear with me on this. My drag racing knowledge is not that great, but I want to build one for my wife Amy to compete in for the 2018 SNRA Southern Fried drag racing series.
I got most of a 1:25 '32 Ford 5 window from large scale model builder Bob Hayes....told me to see if I could do anything with it...it sat in a sandwich baggie for a few months.
From what I can figure its going to be some sort of gasser .?. ...if any of you who are more knowledgeable can figure it out for sure I would appreciate a reply. Injected big block Ford on gas.....strip only.

Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
Channeled the body and moved it back on the frame....going to be giving it a soaking in the Purple pond to get rid of the Brown.

Swapped out the engine and tranny that came with the build....replacing the original set up with an injected big block Ford mill. Resin cast timing chain cover/water pump, solder headers.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian, to be technical about it, your 32 will never be a "Gasser" with no fenders, it would be an "Altered". You might get away with calling it a Gasser with a full set of fenders and adding the "B", "C" or "D/Gasser" class I.D. Without the fenders, it is an Altered and will depend how much you modify it as to which class or era. There were many, AA/FA, A/FA, B/A C/A, D/A and the like. Now I am not trying to count rivets, I am just trying to give you some idea. It is your build so build what you think looks cool to you and enjoy the series. Since the SFDT does not run classifications, anything will fly. I usually try and enter some NHRA legal class car just because I liked and enjoyed the 1960's era of heads up racing. No matter what you come up with, I am sure it will look pretty cool----Keep Glooin'!
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Never worry about being too technical about anything with me, that's how I have learned a lot of different things. :))) I figured that if anyone knew and would speak up it would more than likely been you.
I poured over the NHRA and IHRA class identifications and quickly got lost and confused...tried researching some pictures off of the internet and that took me down another Rabbit hole all together. My knowledge is one NHRA race I attended at Heartland Park here in Topeka and some televised races from the '70's and '80's.

Here's the direction that I am heading in with this build....hopefully this can provide enough info. on which altered class it is...or represents.

'32 Ford Body,channeled and set back, stock '32 Ford frame and front
suspension.

No fenders or head lights, break lights, etc.

Big block Ford with Hilborn injectors...could be gas or Alcohol

Rear tires and wheels are from a modern era Top Fuel dragster that I parted
out. I really want to use them with this build as they look better with
this as apposed to a Dirt Late Model or Dirt Modified build since they are
slicks and I really don't want to groove them.

A couple of other questions since the engine is going to be out in the
open....
Radiators used..yes or no.
Distributors or Magnetos?
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian Conn,Oct 1 2017
07:35 AM
Never worry about being too technical about anything with me, that's how I have learned a lot of different things.  :))) I figured that if anyone knew and would speak up it would more than likely been you.
  I poured over the NHRA and IHRA class identifications and quickly got lost and confused...tried researching some pictures off of the internet and that took me down another Rabbit hole all together.  My knowledge is one NHRA race I attended at Heartland Park here in Topeka and some televised races from the '70's and '80's.

Here's the direction that I am heading in with this build....hopefully this can provide enough info. on which altered class it is...or represents.

'32 Ford Body,channeled and set back, stock '32 Ford frame and front
  suspension. 

No fenders or head lights, break lights, etc.

Big block Ford with Hilborn injectors...could be gas or Alcohol

Rear tires and wheels are from a modern era Top Fuel dragster that I parted
  out.  I really want to use them with this build as they look better with
  this as apposed to a Dirt Late Model or Dirt Modified build since they are
  slicks and I really don't want to groove them.

A couple of other questions since the engine is going to be out in the
  open....
  Radiators used..yes or no.
  Distributors or Magnetos?

Most Altered roadsters and coupes sit pretty high to allow for better weight transfer, so channeled ones, until the modern era when cars got radically lower and longer, were relatively rare. However, even back in the day they existed, like this one:

Posted Image

The whole point of the Altered classes is to allow for radically stripped down, fenderless cars, originally street machines that were gutted, stripped and lightened for competition. As a result they have never have had lights or fenders and almost never have had radiators or much in the way of interiors. They are pretty much pure racing machines, the only aspect of which prevents them becoming true dragsters being that the driver must be seated in front of the rear axle (seated behind the rear axle coupe and roadster body drag cars are in the "Cpmpetetion Roadster (Tony Nancy's T Roadster for example) or Competition Coupe (the recently re-issued MPC Jawbreaker is an example).

So it's the perfect class to let your imagination run wild. Looking forward to what you come up with!
Keep on buildin'

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Guys! Just showing a friend the site,and learned more about gassers in minutes than weeks of old mags reading. Brian, just ask and these guys will
help!! Old Lefty is is the human google Lol Hi Lefty,hope you're well
Could build old school dirt mod or sportsman,just kidding.will enjoy following your build,good luck and sure it will be a good build. rlr

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the help .z. everyone! I have a few questions in regards to the engine.
1) Since I wont be using a radiator, does that mean no fan blade as well? I
am assuming that there will still have to be pulleys on the crank and water pump...double pulleys perhaps .?. ???

2) I have noticed that there is a tube or pipe that goes from what appears to be an oil breather on the valve covers to the header pipes right before the collector....is this only for Alcohol burning engines or do gas engines have these as well?

I need to order a magneto for the engine and perhaps a rear end and the above questions will hopefully answer what other parts I will need to acquire as well.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If you run Alky, you won't need any of that. A place to fill coolant in the block and a place to drain. Cam driven fuel pump and a small balancer on the crank, no belts, pulley, water pump. Remember, you are making a 10 to 15 second run, not 50 laps. Make the run, drain the water and cool down for the next round. No longer than the engine runs, you are not making that much heat on Alky. If you do, you gotta tear it down anyway cause you have a problem.

The theory on the hose from the cover to the header collector was it helped evacuate blow-by and moisture and pressure from the inside of the crankcase. Its your choice. I think breather tubes work just as well. When pressure builds up, its gonna go out somewhere. With all that said, we are building models here so it really won't matter much. Build what looks cool to you. The best thing is on this forum, we don't have an army of rivet counters that beat you up on every post.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Like with my last build, the '59 Ford Galaxie dirt track stock car from the late 60's, I have been learning things with this build that I didn't already know , which is always a good thing I suppose.
Ordered a Magneto and Parachute kit from Ted's Modeling Marketplace, which should be here in a few days, for this build.

Soaked the body and frame in the Purple pond...hopefully will be able to shoot some color this weekend.

Removed the water pump from the resin cast piece and scratch built a cam driven fuel pump for the injectors. Primary fuel line from the fuel pump and the Red lines are from a computer mouse cable,fuel lines from the injector block to the injectors is Ultra wire, Medium,Black ...used for making fly fishing lures.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Progress...

Big block Ford engine is mish mash of kit bashing, scratch building, resin casting and after market...after market pre wired magneto from Teds Modeling marketplace.
Took me a while to figure out the plug wire routing using a magneto...my first build using one...
My wife Amy picked the colors for the body and frame...I think she did a great job! :))) one more wet sanding and coat should get it done.
On to the rear end...nothing fancy...Ford 9" w/ ladder bars.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So far so very good. It's got a solid tied-together look. Looking forward to seeing it up on its wheels for the final stance!
Keep on buildin'

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Scratch built the rear end assembly......
The rear axle (Black), tires and wheels came from some die cast Top Fuel dragster...extended the width of the axle by using two bottom pieces of a click pen that where modified to make the rear axle fit up with the wheels.
Scratch built the ladder bars using Evergreen and glass seed beads for the heim joints.
Hand wound coil springs over scratch built shocks.
Wheelie bars from the MPC '71 Mustang kit.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My first attempt at this style of front end...used large scale modeler Bob Hayes Fotki site for reference pictures as he has scratch built quite a few dragsters of this genre in 1/8th scale.
Scratch built radius rods and front steering linkages using Evergreen products. The radius rod ends that connect to the frame are glass beads. Also pictured is the scratch built over flow surge tank.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
With all this fine scratch building going on you might think about a narrower set of front rims and tires. In any case, I'm really enjoying watching this car come together! :)))
Keep on buildin'

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Going with what Bernard suggest I....
1) Located a matching pair of skinny Minnie tires in the tire pile.
2) Applied some UN-CURE Debonder and removed the wheels from the axle and the
tires from the wheels.
3) The wheels are of a two piece design...an inner and an outer piece. I narrowed up the wheels by taking the Dremel tool to the inner piece and cutting it down so as to fit the tire properly.
4) Reassembled everything.

This aftermarket piece fought me every step of the way...vague instructions...the Silver material did not want to cut, even with my high dollar pair of scissors. I cant say I would recommend this to anyone.

I do have a question since who ever did the instructions on putting this piece of crap together failed to say what to do with the Silver cord mm1 ...I guess they assumed that every builder would know immediately what to do with it and where to attach it.
I am only guessing that this Silver cord would contain the ropes that are attached to the parachute itself and that the end would be anchored under the center portion of the car somewhere.....I did do some research over at Speed City Resin and that's what it appeared like to me. .?.
Any help would be appreciated.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Howdy Brian, you are getting more done than I am. As for your question, yes, that is the lines to your 'chute with some protective cover. Attach to a bar at the rear of your chassis in the center and shorten as needed. The cover helps protect the lines from rubbing, cuts and other things like maybe some bad happening like fire or parts falling off before you have a chance to dump the laundry. Good luck with your ride and maybe, just maybe I can get enough done to post some pics. It has been so long I have forgotten what the Gloo smells like.

Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
HEY! Great to hear from you again...I was starting to wonder what had happened to you....beginning to think you disappeared or something.
I located a cross member on the frame and attached a mounting point on it for the cord...looks like it should in the mock up...again many thanks wnw for your help,much appreciated.
Starting to get the final pieces of the interior, fuel tank and grill attached...next up will be making the decals which will take some time.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Finished the decals using the MS Paint program and MS Works Word Processor...nothing too elaborate...my wife Amy loves Willy Wonka, so to pay homage to her I did the decals in a Willy Wonka style font along with a couple of decals from the movie, that I snagged and resized, off of the net.
These are sort of the final draft and not sized....
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All that's left as far as the interior goes is attaching the steering wheel to the dash. Seat from LHS salvage yard with a slot cut in it for the belts to pass thru. Scratch built the lap belts and shoulder harnesses using Evergreen strip and channel, 1/8th" Black Ribbon and jewelry "O" rings flattened to more of an oval shape for the adjusting cinches. Scratch built the chute release lever and cable mechanism.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Finished the building part...will do the decals later when I do the decals for the dirt Late Model that I am also working on.
Scratch built the fuel tank and used ultra wire Medium Black (used for making fly fishing lures)for the fuel line from the fuel tank to the injector fuel pump and the return line back to the tank.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply