Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2018 Southern Fryed Drag Tour info; 2018 info, rules, and schedule
Topic Started: Sep 15 2017, 08:33 PM (390 Views)
wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

The 2018 SNRA Southern Fryed Drag Tour will start it's eigth season on Feb. 10, 2018. The 2018 season will consist of twelve races, starting on February 10th in California and ending May 5th in Florida. The 2017 SNRA Southern Fryed Drag Tour is open to any newly built or rebuilt, purpose built drag racing car or truck. NO bracket racers nor motorcycles will be accepted this year.

There will be the another thread in which to enter, post pics of your car, and post pertinent information. As in the past, you will have to furnish your quarter mile ET and MPH that you obtain from the following site:

Calculate your ET and MPH here.

Just input your car's weight and flywheel HP, then hit the calculate button. Your entry will be considered incomplete without this information.

Then post your entry as a reply in the pinned 2018 entry thread.

Feel free to ask any questions.

2018 Southern Fryed Drag Tour Schedule

1. CA; Feb. 10th. Greater Los Angeles Lions Club Championships - Lions Dragstrip, Wilmington, California.

2. AZ; Feb, 17th. Copper Drags - Firebird International Raceway, Chandler, Arizona.

3. NM; Feb, 24th. New Mexico Motorsports Classic - Albuquerque National Dragway, Albuquerque, New Mexico.

4. TX; Mar, 3rd. Alamo Runoffs - San Antonio Raceway, Marion, Texas.

5. LA; March 10th. Bayou Nationals - State Capital Dragway, Erwinville, Louisiana.

6. MS; March 17th. Gulfport Catfish Nationals - Gulfport Dragway, Gulfport, Mississippi.

7. AL; March 24th. Heart of Dixi Drags - Alabama International Dragway, Steele, Alabama.

April 1st. Bye week.

8. TN; April 7th. Spring Thunder – Bristol Dragway, Bristol, Tennessee.

9. NC; April 14th. Southern Fried Nationals - Rockingham Dragway, Rockingham, North Carolina.

10. SC; April 21st. House of Hook Challenge - Carolina Dragway , Aiken, South Carolina.

11. GA; April 28th. For the Fans Classic - Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds, Georgia.

12. FL; May 5th. Sunshine Nationals - New Jacksonville Speedway, Jacksonville, Florida.

You can enter the 2018 SFDT here.

Posted Image

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have a couple of questions...but first..
I have only been to one drag race my entire life and seen some on television, so my knowledge is quite limited, but I want to participate next season none the less...so please bear with me...

1) Would wheelie bars be legal or not?
2) Where can I go to get weight info? Will be running a '32 Ford 5 window frame and body (from the firewall back) with an injected Ford big block. I have weight info. on the big block Ford.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes Brian, wheelie bars can be used. They have been in and out of favor at drag races for decades now.

The Southern Fryed Drag Tour is a run what you brung type affair, run as a Sportsman style drag format event. The cars are handicapped by a six dice simulator every run, so it really doesn't matter what you're running. The dice decide the winner.

As for weight, our virtual scales are quite flexible. Make a best guestimate. I can see a '32 weighing anywhere between 1,800 and 3,200lbs. depending on how sturdy or high teck you're willing to go. Some years I have picked a HP level and a realistic ET. Then use the calculator to find a weight that gives me those results.

The estimated ET and MPH calculations are there to give me a place to start from. I don't want to under nor over estimate a car's potential, so I let the owners do it.

So build something to run, enter, and have fun. Good luck. :)))

Has a checkered past.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Got it figured out, finally...had to do some searching around....
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 2450 pounds and HP of 550 is 9.58 seconds and MPH of 141.01 MPH.

Thanks .z.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ANNOUNCING A 2018 SFDT SCHEDULE CHANGE

For the last four years we’ve taken a trip back in time to run at a number of old abandoned drag strips. The state of Georgia, which has a list of former racing facilities that could rival any of the early drag racing hotbed states.

The former Yellow River Dragstrip, located between the Atlanta-area cities of Covington and Conyers, was, like the vast majority of southern strips at the time, a small line of pavement running through a hollow and offering virtually zero safety measures or fan protection. Only small dirt banks with chain-link fences lined the edges of the strip, and fans could practically reach out and touch the cars as they blasted by.

Area race fans would materialize out of the woods and pay a few bucks a head to
watch some of the great match racers of the time, such as “Dyno Don” Nicholson, Malcolm Durham, Don Carlton, Phil Bonner, Ronnie Sox, and a host of others. Fans would line the very edges of the strip, some reveling in the racing while others waved wads of cash as they made side bets.

Despite earning recognition for some great match racing among the sports elite during its time, Yellow Riverone of the darkest moments in racing history.

On March 2, 1969, Georgia drag racing legend Huston Platt was racing his “Dixie Twister” Funny Car alongside Frank Oglesby on the narrow, sandy Yellow River track when a fan was said to have reached out on the track to retrieve a beer can as Platt deployed his parachute. The man was swept up in the chute, killing him instantly. However, the weight against the car sent Platt’s machine out of control and into the crowd, where 11 people were killed and 40 were injured in what remains the worst racing disaster in the United States.

Yellow River, one of Georgia’s most popular race tracks, closed its gates after that fateful day and never held another race. The strip eventually became the road through a mobile home community, but the strip itself and the treacherous uphill, curving shutdown area is still evident. Fortunately, following that tragic event at Yellow River, uninsured, unsanctioned tracks became a thing of the past and the sport that often turned a blind eye to safety began a push toward a higher standard of safety for racers and fans alike.

This year we will race at Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, Georgia on April 28, 2018 instead. Please make plans accordingly.

Has a checkered past.

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
When are entries going to be accepted ?
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The 2018 SFDT entry thread will be posted January 1, 2018. The cut off date for the first race will be February 7, 2018. That will give you 38 days to enter the first race. If you miss that deadline, you will start with the second race. Once entered, you will be entered for the rest of the season.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
There are three weeks left to get your car entered for the first race of the 2018 Southern Fryed Drag tour. Enter here.

Has a checkered past.

Speed Racer 65
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Thanks for the invite Don. I have two cars entered. Let me know what to do next. Mitch
Mitch Reeves

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Glad to see you here Mitch. Thanks for your entries. If you are driving the Edsel, who is driving the Comet? You can't drive both since they will race each other at some point.

I am impressed with the lightness of the Comet. I drive a convertible 2-seater with a SBF and 8" rear that weights 2500lbs without the driver.

The hard part comes now. All you can do is wait until Feb. 10, 2018. That evening check in to the Scale Racing Lobby to read the race reports.

You might consider trash talking, with1n reason, to while the time away.

Has a checkered past.

Speed Racer 65
Member Avatar
[ * ]
wisdonm,Jan 18 2018
06:38 PM
Glad to see you here Mitch. Thanks for your entries. If you are driving the Edsel, who is driving the Comet? You can't drive both since they will race each other at some point.

I am impressed with the lightness of the Comet. I drive a convertible 2-seater with a SBF and 8" rear that weights 2500lbs without the driver.

The hard part comes now. All you can do is wait until Feb. 10, 2018. That evening check in to the Scale Racing Lobby to read the race reports.

You might consider trash talking, with1n reason, to while the time away.

Lol, so do I need to delete the Edsel or just change out the driver?

When I cut up the chassis to narrow it, it must of taken some extra weight. I took it down to the scrap yard and they let me weigh it on the scale with me in it. I have actually gained a few pounds and I added them in too.
Mitch Reeves

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just name a separate driver for each car. Either your can edit your entries or I can do it for you.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Remember, the cut off date for the first race will be 6:00 PM Pacific time Friday February 7, 2018. That will gives you 5 days to enter the first race. If you miss that deadline, you will start with the second race. Once entered, you will be entered for the rest of the season. We have a super line up so far, with several more cars promised.

As we did last year, is case of a "bye" run, the car receiving the "bye" will be randomly chosen for each round, in the interest of fairness. Also, like in the past few seasons, qualifying positions for races #5 and #10 will be a random drawing.

I'll be leaving for Lions on Monday, as many of you might. The weather forecast is beautiful, with race temps of almost 70 degrees, and no rain. See all y'all there.

Has a checkered past.

Speed Racer 65
Member Avatar
[ * ]
wisdonm
Feb 3 2018, 09:48 AM
Remember, the cut off date for the first race will be 6:00 PM Pacific time Friday February 7, 2018. That will gives you 5 days to enter the first race. If you miss that deadline, you will start with the second race. Once entered, you will be entered for the rest of the season. We have a super line up so far, with several more cars promised.

As we did last year, is case of a "bye" run, the car receiving the "bye" will be randomly chosen for each round, in the interest of fairness. Also, like in the past few seasons, qualifying positions for races #5 and #10 will be a random drawing.

I'll be leaving for Lions on Monday, as many of you might. The weather forecast is beautiful, with race temps of almost 70 degrees, and no rain. See all y'all there.

Friday is the 9th not the 7th. Is cut off Friday or Wednesday?

thx
Mitch Reeves

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
For the Lion's race the cut off is Wednesday. It takes awhile to get everything set up and back in the game. It's not like that date has snuck up on anyone.

Be careful of your water cooled cars. Most race cars don't run anti-freeze and it was -7 here this morning, when we left. LA is supposed to be in the 80's this week.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's supposed to be 80 degrees today. B) It's 8 back home. Today is the last day to register for this weeks race. We almost have a full bracket, so get your entries in on time.

Has a checkered past.

Speed Racer 65
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Are racing in Phoenix today?
Mitch Reeves

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes we are. I just got home from work.

Has a checkered past.

« Previous Topic · SNRA Southern Fryed Drag tour · Next Topic »
Add Reply