Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Nova Express - Chevy II AWB; Completed - Final Pics Posted
Topic Started: Aug 18 2017, 06:09 PM (271 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
While I wait for decals and wheels to come from abroad for a Ferrari 250GT SWB project I've got going, I thought I do another large scale decal experiment in the form of a quick drag car project based on the AMT Chevy II Rat Packer Altered Wheelbase funny car kit. I'll be sticking pretty close to the kit build with only minor changes to the motor and wheels and tires. My focus is on the decals and paint scheme.

A popular style during the 60's for drag machines was full-body candy stripe style paint jobs. The most famous was probably the Ramchargers cars but many others were done in all manner of colors. The challenge when doing these decals is to align all those stripes with the proper axis of the car and keep them parallel. Making really large sheets with all the stripes for the surface on one piece is pretty much out of the question because the large decal will buckle, bubble and wrinkle. Instead I made patterns for the roof, hood and rear deck and then printed a set of 8 parallel black stripes with red borders spaced to fit across the width of all three areas. I then cut a set for each area (hood, rood and rear deck). Then I divided each set of eight into three pieces, 2 end pieces of 3 stripes each and a center piece of 2 stripes. By applying the outer 2 pieces first I could then center the middle piece and make sure the whole set was parallel within itself and aligned to the other two areas on the body.

Next up was designing (and naming) this fictitious car. With apologies to the late William Burroughs it's the Nova Express. All the decals were designed and made in Photoshop and printed to clear decal stock. Here's a summary of all the basic decal images with a schematic showing the relative areas for the hood, rood and rear deck.

Posted Image

To represent a lightweight fiberglass body I shaved all the trim away, including door handles. I also cut the front bumper away from the grille and made a simple front pan. The body color is Duplicolor Oxford White. The whole ensemble will get several coats of clear once the decals cure. Here's the result so far:

Posted Image

Most of the chassis and engine bits are already painted and waiting for assembly. This is a pretty simple project but a nice contrast from the meticulous attention the Ferrrari is demanding.

Thanx for lookin',
B.
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I am totally blown away by your decal design work. The Nova is just another example of what you can do. Looking forward to more updates.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
WOW.... William S.Burroughs lived about 25 miles East of here in Lawrence, Ks.
Any way I have been fallowing your decal designs and how you are doing them no matter what you are building....this build is no exception...you decal designs really make your projects unique and I hope some day to be able to be able to emulate what you have achieved. brvo
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

charlie d.
[ *  *  * ]
I am working on the same kit but change to stock wheels base. using the 66 nova frame having to scratch build a interior. Since I don't have the interior tub which is being a pain in the back side.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks everyone! UN-altering an AWB - Yikes!!!

The chassis and interior are done and the body cleared. I livened up the fornt end a little by adding an additional Nova Express logo to the front pan. This is a very basic model so I've been adding occasional detail as I go along, although I must admit to being inconsistent in this regard. For example the sides of the interior bucket are absolutely plain with no markings whatsoever. Nonetheless I didn't touch them, just shot them with the same Duplicolor Black Primer as the rest of the interior. And yet, because the model doesn't come with brakes I added discs from a Revell 32 Ford kit on all four corners, even though you'll never see them. The tires are from the kit,.Even though they're funky two-piece solid plastic numbers, they're actually nicely detaioed and with a shot of flat black they look quite nice. I swapped out the kit mags for a pair of deep reverse rim steelies from an AMT '49 Ford kit on the rear, and a set of MPC funny car Halibrand mag spindle mounts at the front. The motor is about half done and will be the subject of the next update. But, generally speaking, this build is pretty close to out-of-the-box.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All done! Here are the final completion photos.

Thanx to all who followed along,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mighty fine looking Nova. As I have said before I am in awe of your decal work.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Rick. Glad you liked it. It's certainly true that home made decals are a way to dramatically alter the appearance of a model. The Rat Packer kit, interestingly, doesn't come with any reasonable decals at all, just some funky 80's style curlicue scallops. I'm a real dunce about the history of model cars. What is the origin of this kit? Was it ever a real competition car (as opposed to a "street freak")? It comes with 2 seats and appears to have a radio speaker molded in the dash. But the chassis and motor, although simple, seem genuine enough.

By the way, for those tempted to roll their own decals I can recommend a great web site for free fonts, 1001 Free Fonts (https://www.1001freefonts.com/ ). It's what the name says, a bajillion fonts in all sorts of types, well organized by category, and all 100% free for personal, non-commercial, use.
Keep on buildin'

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Super Cool AWB Nova there Bernard. I too love your decal work. The stripes are so period for these cars! Love every bit of it! fant
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

highboy-xlt
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr Awesome!

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Iím a little behind on this one Bernard, What a great AWB Nova. Like the others mentioned the decals turned out fantastic and all the detail are so period correct. Well done!
fbr fbr fbr
Kevin

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I'm a little behind in saying a big Thank You to you all for your appreciation. I'm pleased with how it came out because I think I captured the look - doing the period graphics and changing out the wheels really made a big difference.

Thanx again!
Keep on buildin'

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply