Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Race # 8 with the Petty's; An inexplicable big block romp
Topic Started: Jul 15 2017, 08:23 PM (129 Views)
Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SNRA Late Model Race #8 2017
Petty’s Garage 50. Tar Heel Speedway, ¼ mile shallow banked dirt oval. Randleman, NC. July 15, 2017
It was a nice hot North Carolina summer day when the SNRA teams arrived at the home of the King, Richard Petty for the eighth stop on the 2017 tour. The teams all congregated at the Petty/Smithfield Motorsports compound and Petty’s Garage outlet for a bull session and tour led by the King himself and son Kyle Petty. Smithfield pork chops were cooked on the grilles with corn on the cob for all the teams, wives and significant others. Then the teams headed off around the bent to Tar Heel Speedway for unloading and practice.
As time trials wore on, it became clear that the track had been immaculately prepared. It was very tacky and not dry slick in spite of the heat and the expected dominance of the smaller engine cars on the short ¼ mile clay layout failed to materialize. Big blocks ruled the roost in qualifying. Number one Richard Petty fan Dave Chargin Charlie Bayer delighted the King by taking the pole in his 426 Hemi powered Plymouth Belvedere, a sort of local short track version of the King’s 1964 NASCAR Grand National championship winning ride. It was Charlie’s first pole of the year. Right behind was one of this season’s fastest cars, Kim Johnson at the throttle of the 61 409 Chevy Bel Air.
Posted Image Kim was fast again.
Kevin Sassman’s 427 big block 57 Chevy was a bare tick behind and the Mercury of Chuck Buel was fourth, rounding out the top five was Wisdonm Mueller in the 64 427 Mercury Marauder. Two Mercurys, and another orphan, the Plymouth in the top 5, and all were big blocks. Waiting for a cushion to build, Bulldog Carman found his battery to be dead and there was no time to track down a new one before the end of time trials, so although he was fast in practice, he was forced to 16th in qualifying. The entire qualifying order follow:
1. Dave CC Bayer Plymouth
2. Kim Johnson Chevy
3. Kevin Sassman Chevy
4. Chuck Buel Mercury
5. Wisdonm Mueller Mercury
6. Michelle Mrs. D Desjardins Ford
7. Mr. D Mark Desjardins Sr. Ford
8. Marky w9 Desjardins Jr. Chevy
9. Flyin’ Brian Conn Ford
10. Carl Brennecke Ford
11. Carl da Bugman Ross Plymouth
12. Homer Shockey Chevy
13. Frank the Crank Burval Plymouth
14. Skuky Chris Sunter Chevy
15. Molly Wallace Sunter Plymouth
16. Chris Bulldog Carman Chevy
The fast dash, an inverted start among the top four qualifiers saw Kim Johnson splitting Chuck and Kevin on the start and she held the lead to the end of the 5 laps. Chuck Buel and Kevin Sassman dueled just behind, side by side with Keven eeking out a fender length at the line, with Charlie unable to make any progress for a fourth.
Fast Dash:
1. Johnson
2. Sassman
3. Buel
4. Johnson
In the first heat, Bulldog Carman, with new battery, demonstrating how fast he really was jumped off the pole and ran off and hid. Homer held second over Brennecke who was clearly saving things up for the feature. Skunky fell slightly off the pace and passed Mrs. D only on the last lap, with Marky alongside his mom. In this race the small blocks seemed to be coming back around.
The second heat saw Molly Wallace Sunter also dominate from the pole. At the end of the 12 laps she was two to three car lengths ahead of Frank. Mr. D had his Galaxy flying on the low side and moved up to third ahead of Carl Ross, Wisdonm and Charlie. Kevin and Brian in spite of fast cars could not more ahead due to the clogged up track
First Heat Results:
1. Carman
2. Shockey
3. Brennecke
4. Sunter
5. Michelle Desjardins
6. Marky Desjardins Jr.
7. Johnson
8. Buel
Posted Image Heat Winner Bulldog Carman
Second Heat Results:
1. Wallace-Sunter
2. Burval
3. Mark Desjarins Sr.
4. Ross
5. Mueller
6. Bayer
7. Sassman
8. Conn
url=https://postimage.org]Posted Image[/url] Heat Winner Molly Wallace-Sunter

Starting order of Petty’s Garage 50
Row 1
Buel
Sassman
Row2
Johnson
Bayer
Row 3
Marky Desjardins Jr.
Conn
Row 4
Michelle Desjardins
Wisdonm
Row 5
Skunky
Ross
Row 6
Brennecke
Desjardins, Sr.
Row 7
Shockey
Burval
Row 8
Carman
Wallace Sunter
Kyle Petty waived off the feature at 7:30 after the U.S. and Canadian National Anthems. Chuck Buel and teammate Kevin Sassman dueled back and forth for the first five laps. Kim Johnson remained tucked in behind these two while Brian Conn got his Galaxie past Charlie’s Belvedere by lap ten. Kevin and Chuck did get together at that time after Kevin had held back again and they unavoidably got together as they powerslid through the turn, the track losing a bit of grip. Chuck cut a tire but was able to resume several laps down. As the battle at the front resumed with Charlie and Brian just behind Kim Johnson and Kevin Sassman, Homer and Carl Brennecke were moving up through the field with Homer able to slide past Carl on the 28th lap. Suddenly, Carl’s right front tire exploded and he pulled directly into the pits. Stuck in the tire was a pork chop bone. This remained a mystery until Carl happened to look inside Homer’s car after the race and found about seven such bones laying around where Homer had deposited them during the cookout at the Petty compound. In fact, Homer dropped back to be the last car running on the lead lap at the end of the 50 laps and said he couldn’t seem to depress the accelerator all the way down. You guessed it, a further check revealed another pork chop bone lodged under the pedal. No animosity was observed between Brennecke and Homer, expect Brennkce almost died of laughing. Meanwhile, Kevin fell out of leading contention (though he held on for 5th) with a slow leak in the right front tire. Kim Johnson and Brian Conn began a battle for the lead on lap 36 and the lead see-sawed back and forth with Charlie and Carl Ross about five to six car lengths back. On lap 44, Charlie began to visibly reduce the lead by one or two car lengths a lap. As the racers took the white flag, he was on Brian’s bumper and suddenly shot down from the cushion to the bottom of the track going into turn one. From here he passed Brian and Kim and came up back to the cushion to take his first win of the year. Johnson, Conn, and Ross followed closely behind with Sassman rounding out the top five. Mr. D was challenging Sassman at the end in sixth ahead of the steady Wisdonm. Marky D. took eighth, Bulldog moved up to ninth and Molly came up to an impressive tenth after a shotgun start on the field.
Next week the teams will move up the east coast slightly to Norfolk, Virginia, a nearly identical track where those who had trouble at Tar Heel can take another crack at the set up. It was surprisingly a big-blog night as these power plants took the first 10 positions. Different clay and different weather could change everything, however. See you there.
Posted Image 2017 feature win #1 for Charlie
1. Dave CC Bayer 15C 64 Belvedere
2. Kim Johnson 2 61 Bel Air
3. Brian Conn 7 59 Galaxie
4. Carl da Bugman Ross 13 63 Fury
5. Kevin Sassman 11 56 Bel Air
6. Mark Desjardins, Sr. 19 64 Galaxie
7. Wisdonm Mueller 15 64 Marauder
8. Mark Desjardins, Jr. 17 56 Chevy
9. Chris Bulldog Carman 7LF 55 Chevy
10. Molly Wallace-Sunter M80 62 Fury
11. Michelle Mrs. D Desjardings 3M 65 Ford
12. Frank the Crank Burval 3 64 Belvedere
13. Skunky Chris Sunter 55 56 Bel Air
14. Homer Shockey 6 57 Chevy 210
15. Chuck Buel 56 61 Comet
16. Carl Brennecke 7ER 65 Fairlane 500
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Carl just shook his head and said: "Schwein Knochen Durch Ein echtes Schwein verwofen! Was als nachstes"? Now, I am not sure, gotta get out my English-German Dictionary on that one. Then, Homer comes over and asks me, "You boys got any of that Chicken left"? I feel like I am part of a traveling Circus.
Lefty.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
YAY...That was fun....Way to go Dave on your win. I'm starting to get these bull rings figured out. Running the trans. in 3rd gear with a higher gear set in the quick change seems to be working out although that combo would be much better suited for a smaller, lighter car like a Falcon or Fairlane.
I am not much of a fan of pork chops (although I could eat Carolina pulled pork B-B-Q all day long .?. ) My wife Amy and myself decided we were hungry, so I did try one of those Smithfield pork chops and man, was I impressed.
Speaking of pork chops, I was scrapping the mud off after the heat race and found , what I thought was a piece of tree limb or a stick imbedded into one of the clods that had attached itself to the inner quarter panel :unsure: ....it all makes sense now being a pork chop bone.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well thank you guys! .z. Lafontaine and I really had a long hard week leading up to this but we persevered and amazingly it paid off. Whoopee!!!!

For what its worth, Homer did say he had every intention of cleaning up the car when he got to the track and just plum forgot trying to find a new right front that was close to being balanced. I too expect him to be up front again. He's done it a couple times and there is a lot of experience there. :)))

Thanks again.

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Dave. fbr Hope you enjoyed the well deserved rum and cokes.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bless you my friend. I sure did enjoy myself, thanks! .z. Annette did get the Smithfield bag but it will probably come back to me.LOL
Thanks again.
Your friend Dave.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Dave! It's great to see your beautiful Belvedere roll into victory lane. Well done! fbr fbr fbr :)))
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice Job Dave!
maddr we won't say anything about the Level Cross parts! Wink Wink ..//..
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yah, er huh, oh yeah, parts. I mean, what parts? .?. r:r

Course its not really like either Maurice or Richard are keeping up on Hemi development these days. :lol:

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

skunkyg
Member Avatar
SkunkWorks
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations!! Very hard fought race! Awesome
A little rail rubbing never hurt nobody.!!!!
GOOD OLE BOYS RACING!! FLORIDA DIVISION!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · SATURDAY NIGHT RACING ASSOCIATION · Next Topic »
Add Reply