Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Independence 300, Louisville; The early late models do well
Topic Started: Jul 5 2017, 01:06 PM (206 Views)
Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SNRA Race #7 2017
Independence 300, Louisville Fairgrounds Speedway, 1/2 mile shallow banked oval, Louisville, KY. July 3, 2017

The longer faster oval helped the big bangers a little as Mark Desjardins Sr. put his 427 Galaxie on the pole, followed by the 56 Ford of his wife, Michelle. The rest of the top 5 were all big block cars too, Kevin Sassman, Dave Charlie Bayer and Frank the Crank Burval in their 64 Plymouths. Kim Johnson spun her Chevy after some fast practice laps and had to start shotgun on the field.

Starting Lineup for Independence 300.

Row 1
Mark Desjardins Sr. Galaxie
Michelle Mrs. D Desjardings 56 Ford
Row 2
Kevin Sassman 56 Chev
Dave Bayer Plymouth
Row 3
Frank the Crank Burval Plymouth
Bulldog Carman 55 Chev
Row 4
Carl da Bugman Ross Plymouth
Molly Wallace Sunter Plymouth
Row 5
Brian Conn Galaxie
Skunky Chris Sunter 56 Chev
Row 6
Marky W9 Desjardins 56 Chev
Chuck Buel Comet
Row 7
Wisdonm Mueller Marauder
Homer Shockey 57 Chev
Row 8
Carl Brennecke Fairlane
Kim Johnson 61 Chev

As temperatures rose near race time in the later afternoon sun, the lighter cars gained some advantage. Desjardins Sr. and Mrs. D ran nose to tail for the first 30 +laps but Bulldog Carman moved up to 3rd and by lap 40 had moved around the Desjardins to take the lead. Skunky Sunter had been moving up from the start and made his way to 2nd by lap 65. At this time, Mark Sr. lost the rear end and a good bit of lube and grease hit the track and so the caution came out for clean up over the next 10 laps. Most cars took the opportunity to pit for fuel and or tires, and banking on another yellow, Bayer who had been sitting around 6th hit the pits for gas and crew chief Titus Lafontaine got in the car to relieve Charlie for the middle portion of the race. Using some track position strategy, Carl Brennekce stayed out and took the lead when the green flew on lap 75. The other Carl, Ross, had joined him and the two ran nose to tail saving their cars but maintaining a moderate lead over Skunky, the first of the cars that had pitted and who had hit the correct set up for the night. By lap 125 or so the lead pair began to slow somewhat and Kevin Sassman came forward with Mrs D and Chuck Buel. Over the next 10 laps it was clear that Chuck had the fastest car. First, Sassman and then Mrs. D passed the leaders and on the 142nd lap Buel took the lead and began to pull away. This status quo remained basically the same until Lafontaine took Charlies car up to second on lap 190 and began to challenge Buel but could not get around.
On lap 220 Homer Shockey who was at the very end of the lead lap had a radiator hose burst in turn 3. Chuck hit the water and skidded relatively hard into the wall, but was unhurt. The car wasn't bad, but Chuck was 12 laps behind when he returned. Titus immediately hit the pits as did the Carl's for fuel and most of the rest of the cars for tires upon the yellow. Charlie climbed back in the Plymouth. But both he and the other Plymouth Driving Carl had ground to make up having taken 4 tires. Skunky meanwhile retained the lead and on lap 231 the cars were back under green. Brennecke and Mrs. D made some slight air pressure adjustments and were after him, sliding by the 2nd place Burval on lap 256. Neither car could clear the other for about the next 20 laps which allowed Skunky to build up a moderate lead. Brennecke finally made his way in front of Mrs. D and closed the distance but at the end he could go no farther than up to two car lengths behind Skunky's Chevy. So after some rough luck this season Skunky lasted the whole 300 laps and led most of the second half of the race to record his first victory this year. Carl Brennecke took a fine second ahead of Mrs. D and Frank the Crank, last weeks winner. Kevin Sassman held on for fifth just ahead of Brian Conn who had run a very smooth race. Rounding out the top 10 were Bulldog Carman in 7th, Charlie who made it back up to eighth from fourteenth, Wisdonm and Kim Johnson who had a long race but came from the back. Fireworks followed and were enjoyed by all as well as the fried chicken feast in the Brennecke and Shockey pit areas.
Next weekend the tour is off but will resume for a traditional night of shortracking in Randalman, North Caroline on July 15 for the Petty's Garage 50. The King himself will be on hand as Grand Marshall, and to hang around the pits so it should be a special night.

Finishing Order Independence 300
1. Skunky Chris Sunter #55 56 Chev
2. Carl Brennecke #7er 65 Fairlane
3. Michelle Mrs. D Desjardins #3m 56 Ford
4. Frank the Crank Burval #3 64 Belvedere
5. Kevin Sassman #11 56 Chevy Bel Air
6. Flyin Brian Conn #7 59 Galaxie
7. Chris Bulldog Carman #7L 55 Chevy
8. Dave Chargin Charlie Bayer #15a 64 Belvedere
9. Wisdonm Don Mueller #15 64 Merc Marauder
10. Kim Johnson #2 61 Chevy Bel Air
11. Carl Da Bugman Ross #13 63 Fury
12. Molly Wallace-Sunter # M80 62 Fury
13. Marky W9 Desjardins Jr. #17 56 Chev Bel Air
14. Chuck Buel #56 61 Merc Comet
15. Homer Shockey #6 57 Chevy 210
16. Mark Desjardins Sr. #19 64 Galaxie
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Skunky, nice job surviving the heat and a tough field of cars. :)))
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Man, what a Race! Way to go Skunky! Nice driving! maddr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Skunky. fbr

Thanks for the report Dave.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Way to go on the win Skunky fbr

Happy 103rd birthday Wisdonm (well, that's what it says .?. )
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice win Skunky, good job! After the race Carl said: "Dass Skunky war schnell!" and some other 21 letter words. You will have to ask him, I have no idea what they mean. Good Ol Homer. Yep, penny pinching Homer did it again. He replaced the lower leaking radiator hose but didn't buy a new one. He "Made" one from three others and used the Dollar Store clamps for the 1000th time. Wouldn't hold the pressure and you know the rest of the story. The man can also inhale more chicken than a human being should. I only got two pieces this time. Right now, I am inclined to think the man is an on track menace and a food scarf.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

skunkyg
Member Avatar
SkunkWorks
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you so much guys! We've been trying really hard to get the car dialed in and this win really shows that hard work pays off! I wanna thank all my sponsors, friends, family, and all you other racers out there! Without you this wouldn't be possible! afs
A little rail rubbing never hurt nobody.!!!!
GOOD OLE BOYS RACING!! FLORIDA DIVISION!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You are welcome, Skunky! fbr We're always happy when we have a new winner on the year!

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

« Previous Topic · SATURDAY NIGHT RACING ASSOCIATION · Next Topic »
Add Reply