Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'76 Mercury Capri II Late Model; 2015 & 2018 SNRA Entry
Topic Started: Jul 4 2017, 03:54 PM (116 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
Monogram 1976 Mercury Capri II....debating on whether to leave it curb side or to open up the hood and stuff some small block Ford V-8 power in. If I decide to open it up , then I also will be building a late model frame/chassis as well....this depends on how much time I have left after the first one is complete. None the less I will have to stretch the wheelbase to make it legal wheelbase wise for a late 70's late model....108" (1:1 scale)... This car is a typical Monogram 1:24 scale piece and all of my jigs and etc. are set up for 1:25 scale so getting the right proportions could pose a challenge....I do , at least, have a 1:24 small block Ford engine to plug in it if I have to.
I will be building this in the spirit of the local Late Model rules from 1979
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted: Jan 4 2015, 03:52 PM
I have decided against doing a curbside build.....there fore I am going to use the Capri II under carriage and transform it into a Late Model frame in accordance to the rules. I will leave the Left side floor pan from engine fire wall to just behind the drivers seat. The rear portion will be removed to facilitate lengthening the wheelbase. The engine cross member will be cut out,modified and moved forward to accept Ford style lower control arms as well as increase the wheelbase. The new full perimeter frame will be done in the 2" X 3" Rectangle tubing style that was popular in the late 70's. The new frame will be fitted for a 3 point quick change rear end and coil springs in the rear.

The rear suspension will be set up for asphalt or smooth clay tracks.

I will also reuse the roll bar in the perimeter roll cage as per the rules.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lengthened the wheelbase of the Mercury Capri II 8 mm. to make a legal Late Model from 1979. The minimum wheelbase then was 108" (1:1 scale)....cut out the wheel wells so that the racing tires and wheels will fit. Since the SNRA rules state that only 3 mm. of tire can extend past the body, I built a set of wheel flairs out out plastic prescription medicine bottles that where slightly larger than the wheel well openings. The local rules back then allowed for 13" tread width on the tires, so the body is 73 mm. wide with the flairs.
The frame is done...will be a coil spring rear end....this is my first coil spring rear build...every thing else has been leaf springs...not having a frame jig for this "one off" frame made it an interesting challenge to say the least.

After seeing Leftturns75http://z8.invisionfree.com/Scale_Racing_Lo...showtopic=10103 Nova Late Model build, I now know which set up I am going with for the Mercury Capri II's rear suspension......I already have a 3 point quick change rear end on order, so all I have to scratch build is the weight jacks/coil springs, shocks and panhard bar.
I am going to stop on this one for the time being and start working on the Mustang.
Thanks every one for stopping by and taking a look. .z.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Leftturns.....Believe it or not this will be my first scratch built coil spring car.....built exclusively leaf spring dirt cars up to this point.
There is a member here on the forums that has some tires and wheels for sale that you might be interested inhttp://roncoon.com/ also USMC E5 (Tom) has started to recently carry the PPP linehttp://z8.invisionfree.com/Scale_Racing_Lo...showtopic=10097
Used as much of the original roll bars as possible ...the rest of the cage will be Evergreen rod.
To get the original roll bar snug up against the inside roof I drilled holes in the frame using a slightly larger diameter bit. Once the correct height was set, I glued the roll bars in place. I did the same for the front portion of the cage upright pieces.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Since I decided against a curbside build, now was a good time to cut out the hood and a rear portion deck lid verses running the hatch back. I removed what was the side frame portion of the hatch back to open that area up some more getting more air to the rear deck spoiler. All that will be needed is a small deck lid that can be removed to facilitate the filling of the fuel cell and battery access etc. etc.
Finished the wheel well flares...used Squadron putty....got a little more sanding to do before priming.
Picked up a glue bomb engine from the salvage bin at the LHS.......once finished it will be a small block Cleveland...went with a Cleveland due to its smaller overall dimensions than a Windsor which will be helpful with the smaller engine bay area. Scratch built a rear sump Moroso 7 QT. circle track oil pan as well as a Ford 4 speed Top Loader tranny. Will be building a set of solder headers and scratch building a Lakewood bell housing for it as well. Will also need to cast a Cleveland front engine cover/water pump for it as well.
After market goodies will include a pre wired Distributor Cap from Morgan Automotive Detail,small block Ford intake from our own Tom's Speed Shop and Pro Tech dual remote oil filters and open element oil breathers from Teds Modeling Market Place.
I will be modifying the small block Ford intake from Tom's Speed Shop from its Windsor configuration to that of a Cleveland.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Finished the cage/chassis...this is my first coil spring rear end chassis built to represent late '70's technology.....copied a Howe coil spring rear section from 1977 for the most part. Next is to finish the interior sheet metal then prime and paint.
Decided to take one of the bucket seats from the original build and make it into a plausible racing style seat by adding side bolsters and taking some off of the bottom of the seat to lower it...the Blue seat in the picture is the other bucket seat to give you an idea of what it looked like originally.
I figured out that I could take one of Tom's (USMC E5...Tom's Speed Shop) small block Ford intakes (Windsor style)and make it into a Cleveland intake by removing some of the material (area in Black) and adding a tiny bit to the end of the runners to match up to the heads better...used a similar styled full sized Holley 4 bbl intake for base reference.

Should have the small block Cleveland engine done soon....done a lot of scratch building on it so far.....all of the aftermarket goodies that I ordered for this car have arrived.....I am starting to worry about getting these cars done on time.....going to jump back over to the Mustang for a while.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted: Mar 9 2015, 09:50 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE for stopping by and taking a look as well as your comments.....I guess if a challenge could be construed as fun...sure...I am starting to worry about the constraints of time,seems the 9th of May is on the fast track to get here. I know that it would be more enjoyable at a slower pace..for me at least...never built two cars at the same time like this with a dead line looming out there on the horizon....most, if not all, of the fault is my own... I can't leave well enough alone and have to go and scratch build a bunch of stuff.

I would like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to Tom Enlow (USMC E5, Tom's Speed Shop) for getting the aftermarket parts that I am using on this build and the Mustang delivered to me quickly...one less stress to worry about.....nice to keep on building and not waiting on parts holding things up.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted: Apr 19 2015, 04:29 PM

...Been real busy lately...work, church....so time has been at a premium...needless to say I have not had much time for updates with the SNRA deadline looming just days away. Took a few minutes this afternoon for an update on the Mercury Capri II.

I wanted to do something with the front air dam that is as aerodynamic as a brick.....want to do something late 70's ASA/ARTGO ish.
I split the front bumper from the lower air dam piece. The lower air dam will be angled outward and then reattached to the front bumper. I moved the front bumper farther outward...looks better and better aerodynamics.
Here is where I am at so far body wise...Amy (the driver) chose the chassis/interior and body colors. Finished the front air dam and grill area and added to the stock rear deck spoiler for a 12" (1:25) rear deck spoiler.....still a little bit more body work to do before decals can be applied.

LHS salvage parts bin glue bomb mystery motor repurposed into a Ford Cleveland mill. Reconfigured the block and heads to match a Ford Cleveland. Scratch built Lakewood bell housing ,Ford Top Loader tranny and 7 qt. Moroso oil pan. Intake manifold from Toms Speed Shop (reconfigured Windsor intake)... Moroso valve covers (whittled down from big block Chevy Moroso valve covers) and (not pictured yet) pre wired distributor cap from Mogan Automotive Detail ... Pro Tech open element oil breathers from Teds modeling market place.
Resin cast front engine cover and water pump. I also will be bending up some Zoomie (weed burner) headers out of solder.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just need to take care of a couple of small items and this car will be ready to enter...hopefully tonight or tomorrow for sure. The #9's are hand cut from Aluminum tape ...made the decals myself.....the sun was not in my favor this afternoon mm1 ...will try for better pictures later.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ON THE WORK BENCH....

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS DIRT · Next Topic »
Add Reply