Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Photobucket Flap
Topic Started: Jun 30 2017, 10:12 AM (324 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have been reading and watching all the problems with Photobucket and this seems to only affect Microsoft users. I have had no emails from them and I still post and upload photos but I am on a MAC. Rumor has it they have been hacked but who knows? Anyone using a Mac system had this problem?
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is not a flap. Its a change in policy by Photobucket themselves. The only thing that seems confusing is that it seems to be rapidly spreading through users. Users who yesterday were saying they had no problems have since received e-mails about their change in policies.

Specifically, Photobucket has ceased providing "3rd Party Hosting" services (the service you use when you insert an image inyo your forum posting and the image is stored on your photo hosting service - i.e. Fotki, Photobucket, etc.). This is universal to all subscribers regardless of the level of service. free or paid, with or without advertising, except for their most premium service (the P500 level) which will cost you $399.00 per year!

Any images hosted by Photobucket affected v=by this change in pricing and service policies will be affected. Just look around.

This is madness and will be far more than an inconvenience - it will destroy the vitality of our communities just as surely as it will destroy Photobucket.
Keep on buildin'

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I guess I must be at the end of the list. I up loaded some photos and posted them on another forum this morning with no problem. Everything is there and I have access to all my photos. If it happens in the future, they can go pound sand. I don't need them to enjoy my hobbies. mpc2
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I quit Photobucket over a year ago and have not looked back...I simply got tired of the filth and trash that plagued the site every time I went to use it. What they are doing is extortion .....you want your pictures back, pay up.
I am now on Fotki......many times easier to navigate and use than Photobucket and no filth and trash anytime I use it.
Full disclosure, I pay $24.00 annually for no adds or pop ups and in over a year,there has not been any...can't say the same for pukebucket.

Fotki PREMIUM 100 MEMBERSHIP (which I use)

5 years $1.53/month ($92)
3 years $1.67/month ($60)
2 years $1.83/month ($44)
1 year $2.00/month ($24)
1 month $4.00/month ($4)
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I use photobucket. After reading the trouble people are having with PB, I uploaded some photos and posted them to another forum with no problems today. I used to have problems with it until I paid 15.00 to go ad free. Since then its been problem free.

Supergluek5
Only 3 Sports--- Racing, racing, and more racing

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I use Flickr. It's free, but awkward. mpc2

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, Photobucket finally got to my account. The wiped out the entire thing. Nothing will show on any forum I am on but I do have all the photos on my computer so I really lost nothing. Gotta try something different now. mpc
Richard Nixon

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Hi gang,just punched in on sat 7/1 at 5:10 and all our pixs are gone,even one at bottom of page to links. photobucket logo is everywhere!! mm1 mpc

Standing by on sideline to help .?.

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Same with me DtrackDave. Photobucket logos, Ads everywhere and a notice to look at their new terms of use. So I ignored that and x'ed out of every box up there and that I encountered, went to continue to site, removed a few new adds and.... it was all still there! So, maybe the key is don't fall for the trap. Just x the ads and crap and just proceed.
I have noticed this year now instead of my images saying "copied" in yellow when I have them ready to upload to the lobby, I simply have to hit copy to blue it in, then right click on copy and I can still post.
Maybe it won't last long, but I'll see. If not I'll go to Flickr like Wisdonm. The SNRA will not be stopped.
Dave B. :)))

Oops, got me now too. My pics are still there, but can't extract them. Well Flickr, does fotki still work and will it work with the Lobby. Used Image Shack for a bit too. Just ideas. Even if clumsy, if it works it can't be worse than nothing or what we have been putting up with.
Sorry, but this week, we will have a pictureless race report.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Chargincharlie6,Jul 2 2017
05:36 PM
does fotki still work and will it work with the Lobby.  Used Image Shack for a bit too.  Just ideas.  Even if clumsy, if it works it can't be worse than nothing or what we have been putting up with.

Every picture that I have posted here at the lobby in the last 13 months has been hosted on Fotki with absolutely NO issues at all....One of the features that I like is the picture sharing option for forums which takes some of the guess work out of it.
On a side note, I tried to migrate what pictures I have in Photobucket to either Fotki or back to the computer and it wont let me....I have the originals safely stored on the computer so it is not a total loss, but I have other sites that I am a part of where eventually matching pictures to text and reposting pictures using Fotki will be a huge hassle......I have pictures on here that are hosted on Photobucket that I will have to eventually deal with.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I have photos here and three other forums and since PB was the only site I used, I do not have a pic anywhere. About a year ago they made some changes and lost an album causing some of my photos to go missing. I am not sure it is worth the effort to up load all those pics again. Maybe it is time I started a new hobby. 50+ years of model cars is a long time and its not as much fun as it used to be. First time I have no choice but to pay to post a pic I am done.
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefty, Do what you want to do. If you like building model cars and showing us, do so, don't let some --------'s at Photobucket force you to do something you don't want to do. I doubt this is your only hobby anyway, if you think about it, you're a master storyteller for one thing.
Frankly, these days I don't know what I would do without you. You kind of rejuvinate me, my car this year was brand new and I'm actually working on others now in spite of all the time school takes and my old house in another town where I had the stroke 6 years ago that is bankrupting my wife and I.
I'm writing off the pics I had on forums, I'm not replacing them unless I need one for something, it doesn't take long to accumulate new ones I have found! I've been enjoying the SNRA and banter more than any other year. Homer and I will cry if you aren't here.

Look forward to Lousiville results tomorrow. Pics or no. I am going to start with Fotki and or Flickr, but need to find the time to get them installed.

You are all such good guys. Just keep going, please, at least a bit longer, for Pops at least.

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
They got me too ........... guess I'll have to find another hosting site ............... I can't afford $399 per year mm1
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Hi gang,just checking in. didn't fotki do same thing last year?? have tried to check photos of diff. builders and notice of their acct. being erased till owner paid to have account showed up.Hope the other free sites don't go same route.

As dr charlie said,don't leave!we will whip this some how.
forgive spelling,only one eye working good

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Noticed this morning the new message on Fotki......this is what I did last year (and no, there where NO issues w/ Fotki last year) with the 30 day free trial....liked it so much I became a paying member.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Brian,good info on that.Hope to get camera,now life has settled down??
have had a few other sites told to me.may check out. Funny thing is some other sites i belong to for modeling cars and trains have all foto fills.
Are they picking on us? or has it not spread net wide. :))) .z.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
dirttrackdave,Jul 4 2017
01:11 PM
have had a few other sites told to me.may check out. Funny thing is some other sites i belong to for modeling cars and trains have all foto fills.
  Are they picking on us? or has it not spread net wide. :)))  .z.

I honestly think that they (photobucket) are going after the soft targets first...as an example: at the Ford Torino site where I am a member, I have photobucket pictures of my Gran Torino posted there. So far, there are no comments being made as they are being made here....same with a Public Safety (Tornado Sirens, Emergency radio Comms. etc.) forum that I have photobucket pictures at.
From what I have read, the effects of photobuckets decisions are staggering, to say the least, world wide....there are some web sites (D.I.Y types,collections, etc.) that have been rendered completely useless.
It's taken up quite a bit of my time this holiday weekend, but all of my pictures here at this site have been migrated safely to Fotki. Still have a couple of odd and end things to do ,but for the most part I am photobucket free.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
dirttrackdave,Jul 4 2017
10:11 AM
Are they picking on us? or has it not spread net wide. :))) .z.

Not all accounts have been cut off by Photobucket. Unfortunately P-bucket has been totally silent on all this and we have no idea why some accounts remain unaffected. In my case I have two accounts, the older of which is still intact while the account I have used for the past 3 years or so has been cut off. But because P-bucket did this without advance warning and with no viable option ($399.00/yr. is 10-15 times the going rate for most pay services, never mind that there are multiple Free alternatives).

Because Photobucket has been totally uncommunicative, they have not told us why they have left some subscribers untouched. As users, we have no choice but to conclude that they are completely untrustworthy and that sooner or later all our image links will be broken. Meanwhile many millions, if not billions, of image links throughout the internet have been broken, rendering many millions of web pages on forums, blogs, eBay and etsy pages, commercial sites, etc. totally useless.

If Photobucket has completely miscalculated in its greed, as I believe it has, then it will inevitably go out of business and even my older and intact account will have all its links broken.

The thing many people fail to realize, even if they personally have been able to avoid serious damage, is that the whole premise of Cloud Computing relying on trusting to Internet Services companies to store and distribute our information, has been called into question. While Photobucket may be a relatively Small Fish in a Big Sea, if you are "Photobucket Victim" the Internet just broke a very big promise you trusted it to keep. For many Victims they may not have the time, the technical ability, the money or the motivation to repair the damage. But the damage has the potential to spread far beyond individual victims if this scenario is repeated. The underlying business model of many large high-tech companies (Amazon, Uber, Microsoft, Google or Comcast, are all excellent examples) is to establish an monopoly position and then use that dominance to "monetize" their position, often by charging monopoly prices for services once thought to be free. When the price is too high you may find yourself SOL.
Keep on buildin'

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I hear ya Bernard. If all of this goes the route PB is taking, the monthly publication rag business might just pick up again. I didn't own a PC until 2011. I still have not owned a cell phone. Just about everyone I know or see has a cell in their hand and depends heavily on their computer. Let em do what ever they want, I am one of those people who still know how to use books and pencils. Might not hurt if they taught a little of that in schools too. mpc2
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I hear that Lefty. Every bit of my PhD research is hard copied and in binders, for sure, some electronically too, but ALL of it is on paper paper. I take written notes and print off all assignments too. No choice now, maybe I was wise to be an old outmoded curmudgeon this way. Now if I get through what should be minor heart surgery I'll try to use another provider for this forum, Wisdonm seems to be doing well with Flickr.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

« Previous Topic · TOWN HALL · Next Topic »
Add Reply