Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SNRA 5 Ascot Park; A little of this, a little of that!
Topic Started: Jun 17 2017, 07:37 PM (187 Views)
Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SNRA Late Model Feature #5 2017
Gavin Evitt Memorial 50, Ascot Park, Gardenia, CA. ¼ mile shallow banked dirt oval, June 17, 2017.
Fans and teams alike were happy for a race, but a shorter feature was also welcomed as the southwest which is normally hot is in the midst of even more of a heat wave. Lighter small block cars were thought to be the hot set up, and while for one this ultimately was true, the big blocks came on strong later. The bigger heavier cars developed more and more speed as the track became dry slick. A big block car took the pole in the form of Kevin Sassman’s 56 Chevy, but Bulldog Carman’s small block 55 was just behind while 2015 SNRA champ Marky Desjardins was fourth fastest in his own 350 equipped 56.
Posted Image
Time Trials:
Dash:
1. Kevin Sassman ’56 Chevy. 2. Chris Bulldog Carman, 55 Chevy. 3. Carl daBugman Ross, 63 Plymouth. 4. Mark W9 Desjardins, 56 Chevy. 5.Mark Desjardins, Sr. 64 Galaxie.
The fast dash was one slide job after another but ultimately pulled off by the outside pole sitter, Carl Ross with Sassman just edging out Marky with the Bulldog in fourth. The cars were all under a blanket as they crossed under the checkers on lap 5.
1. Ross. 2. Sassman. 3. Desjardins, Jr. 4. Carman.
The 10 lap Heats which were started in inverse fashion according to time were wild affairs as the teams have begun to recognize the advantage just the few points for finishing first or second in one of them can make. A heat win puts one in back for the start of the feature unless they were in the top four in qualifying, but most find the features long enough to make up the difference if they have hit on the set-up. Carl Brennecke came from mid-pack passing pole sitter Dave Charlie Bayer on the third lap. The AMB team had been having a wretched time getting the balance right with their powerful but heavy Hemi Plymouths and Charlie and Frank timed in second to last and last. Mark Desjardins SR. hung in for second ahead of Kevin Sassman and Charlie while Homer DNF’d after a respectable qualifying time when the entire differential dislodged itself from the driveshaft and leaf springs. In typical fashion he was ready for the feature.
Posted Image Carl Thrilled the German Californians.
The second heat was equally as competitive with Skunky Sunter bringing his 56 Chevy off the second row and then held off a hard charging Chuck Buel in his Mercury for the win. Brian Conn had had problems in qualifying with his heavy Galaxie as well but held third just ahead of Frank who, like Charlie, slid from the pole but improved as the track began to become slicker and weight became less of a disadvantage.
Posted Image A well earned checkers for the Skunkworks daddy.
Heat 1
1. Carl Brennecke
2. Mark Desjardins, Sr.
3. Kevin Sassman
4. Dave CC Bayer
5. Wisdonm Mueller
6. Molly Wallace-Sunter
7. Carl Ross
8. Homer Shockey
Heat 2
1. Skunky Chris Sunter
2. Chuck Buel
3. Brian Conn
4. Frank Burval
5. Mrs. D Desjardins
6. Marky W9 Desjardins
7. Kim Johnson
8. Chris BD Carman
The top four in time and finish order of the heats determined starting spots in the feature and the starting lineup was as follow:
Row 1:
Marky Desjardins Jr.
Carl Ross
Row 2:
Bulldog Carman
Kevin Sassman
Row 3:
Homer Shockey
Kim Johnson
Row 4:
Molly Wallace-Sunter
Wisdonm Mueller
Row 5:
Michelle Mrs. D Desjardins
Dave Charlie Bayer
Row 6:
Frank the Crank Burval
Brian Conn
Row 7:
Mark Desjardins Sr.
Chuck Buel
Row 8:
Carl Brennecke
Skunky Chris Sunter
Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders Coach Jack DelRio waved the green to set the feature in motion. Marky Desjardins lead the first five laps in his small block Chevy with Carl Ross keeping his Plymouth on the high side. Ultimately both slid a bit high and sliding under all of this and Chris Carman and into the lead was Kevin Sassman. Marky did ultimately regroup and began to work the high side on Sassman for the next 10 laps when Homer spun due the car being so far out of alignment. Frank had to retire shortly before this with overheating issues but did not bring out the caution.
As the green came back out to start the next lap Marky had a great restart and cleared the front bumper of Kevin. Over the next 34 laps of the feature Kevin tried the low side of Marky and pulled even several times, but the veteran Marky was not shaken and ultimately won by a car length with Carl Ross hanging tight in third.
Posted Image Marky came back to the top after a rough season so far.
Ross had never run out of the top five all day. Charlie certainly ran outside the top five, for most of the race in fact, but somehow was able to take advantage of better and better side bite, charging from 10th to 4th at the line. Mark Desjardins, Sr. followed with him most of the race and took fifth. Wisdonm’s big Mercury also improved through the race as did Kim Johnson’s ’61 409 and they finished sixth and seventh. Carl Brennecke, Molly and Brian Conn all came forward into the top 10 and along with the remainder of the field were improving their speed, but became mired in the gaggle of big machines on the tight, short, slippery oval. It was a battle all night, and the race’s namesake, the great Kiwi Gavin Evitt would have been proud of the effort put out by all on the evening. Following the victory lane festivities where young Marky got a smooch from Olivia Munn, some hydration and some congratulations, the teams loaded up and headed for the nearest palm tree from the one in Ascot’s infield to enjoy a Blue Hurricane or some other strong tropical treat to contemplate next week’s event back across the country at Western Pennsylvania’s historic Heidelberg Speedway.
Feature Finish, Gavin Evitt Memorial 50.
1. Marky w9 Desjardins, 56 Chevy
2. Kevin Sassman, 56 Chevy
3. Carl da Bugman Ross, 63 Plymouth
4. Dave Chargin Charlie Bayer, 64 Plymouth
5. Mark Desjardins, Sr., 64 Galaxie
6. Wisdonm Mueller, 64 Marauder
7. Kim Johnson, 61 Chevy Bel Air
8. Carl Brennecke, 65 Ford Fairlane
9. Molly Sunter-Wallace, 62 Plymouth
10. Brian Conn, 59 Ford Galaxie
11. Skunky Chris Sunter, 56 Chevy
12. Michelle Mrs. D Desjardins, 56 Ford
13. Chuck Buel, 61 Mercury Comet
14. Chris Bulldog Carman, 55 Chevy
15. Homer Shockey, 57 Chevy 210
16. Frank the Crank Burval, 64 Plymouth
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations to Marky on the win :))) ....that was a tough track to pass on...I swear there was a couple of times coming out of a turn that I caught the rear end of my own car.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

wreckers9
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Some great racing tonight! just glad we got the car running right and things worked into our favor.
git-r-done!

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Marky! That was a tight finish, I was really happy with how old blue was handling tonight.
Thanks for the great event and report Mr Dave!
fbr fbr fbr
Kevin

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Marky. fbr

You're due Kevin. Keep pushin.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Mark, way to throw that car around!

Nothing but Hot Jazz in our pits as Titus and Monk argued over our overheating problem. The consensus is our water pump is a high flow job and we need a temp fix to slow her down a bit. This week the car will be in transit and spend all its time in the trailer so won't be back at the shop before the next race. Monk said there is "to much blow baby we gotta choke down it's emboucher" with a washer type deal that we will swap in for the thermostat! Crossing my fingers!
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think thats the "Straight" scoop from Monk. A trick you tried once before when you were my crew chief as I recall! :)))
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
After all the rear end problems Homer had last week, he said he has all that covered. He was working on the rear when I left him and I got a photo. I worry about him sometimes.
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess a roll of duct tape would be cheaper than packing it full of Bananas .?.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

« Previous Topic · SATURDAY NIGHT RACING ASSOCIATION · Next Topic »
Add Reply