Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peoria SNRA #2; In by a miracle
Topic Started: May 20 2017, 06:25 PM (188 Views)
Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

SNRA Race #2 Tri-Cities 50, Peoria Speedway, Peoria, Illinois 1/3 mile high banked clay oval, May 20, 2017

A rainbow and perfectly sticky track as well as cool conditions. That is what the SNRA racers faced as they hit Peoria on Saturday for race #2 of the season. The Peoria, Rock Island, Tricities area has been flooded over the last few weeks, but the waters receeded and further rain held off today for racing action in perfect conditions.

The top 4 qualifiers included Carl Ross's Max Wedge 63 Plymouth on the pole, follwed closely by former Hobby Stock shoe Chuck Buel who was somewhat familiar with the track for days gone by, in the Uncle Verde Merc. Sknunky Chris Sunter got his 56 Chev small block up to qualifying speed for third fast, and Bechtosheim racing's Carl Brenncke was 4th quick. Rounding out the top 5 was Marky W9 Desjardins in another 56 Chev small block

The 5 lap dash was a torrid affair, the cars making top power in the cool air. Carl Brennecke held the lead from the pole, while Carl kamikazeed the track high and nearly clipped Chuck Buel at the line, just ahead of
Skunky.

Dash
1. Brenncke 7ER
2. Buel 56
3. Ross 13
4. Skunky 13

The dash was followed by two twelve lap heats, the first consisting of odd numbered qualifiers and the second of the even numbered quaifiers, inverted by qualifying speed.
The first heat was won by Mark Desjardins Sr. who started on the pole by virtue of spinning in qualifying. He faught hard to, and eventually did maintain his lead over Chris Bulldog Carman who nearly caught the big Galaxie by running the cushion in his well handling 55 Chevy. The 5th starting Molly Wallace-Sunter could run anywhere she wished and followed closely in third while fast qualifier Carl Ross came up fast from the rear in his similar Plymouth to take 4th.
Posted Image Heat one winner Mark Desjardins Sr.
Heat One
1. Desjardins Sr. 19
2. Carman 7L
3. Wallace-Sunter M80
4. Ross 13
5. Buel 56
6. Wisdonm 15
7. Marky Desjardins Jr. 17
8. Shockey 6

Heat Two saw Frank the Crank Burval run his Hemi Plymouth inside to take an early lead from his inside 2nd row starting spot over pole sitter Kim Johnson who had spun in qualifying as well, and Brian Conn. Otherwise, while there was a lot of side by side battling and give and take, the field remained fairly intact at the end of 12 laps. Frank took the win just ahead of last weeks feature winner Brian Conn. Kim Johnson picked up things to take a nice steady thrid and Kevin Sassman held off Mrs. D Desjardins' Ford after advancing ahead a few spots into fourth place. Chargin Charlie Spun into the infield after hitting a dip in the otherwise immaculate track surface for last, not all effects of the flood having been erased and was narrowly missed by Carl Brennecke.
Posted Image The Crank acted quickly to take heat two.
Heat Two
1. Burval 3
2. Conn 7
3. Johnson 2
4. Sassman 11
5. Mrs. D 3m
6. Buel 56
7. Brennecke 7ER
8. Bayer 15c

The cars were given a short intermission to cool off, change rubber and get race set ups in as the weather continued to appear threatening but soon enough, legendary Rockford Speedway flagman Jack Heimann flagged the field off as grand Marshall, with Carl Brennecke taking the point followed closely by fellow FOMOCO midsize pitor Chuck Buel. While 3rd place Carl Ross kept the pair in site he was challenged both by Molly-Wallace Sunter, who moved up fairly quickly and Mark Desjardins'Galaxie. About 20 laps in Carl B. began to drop back slowly suffereing what was later to be determined to be a very slow leak in his left rear tire. It was enough to let Chuck Buel into the lead followed closely by flying Floridian Carl Ross, enjoying his first tastes of Mopar power in the SNRA. On lap 26 a loud crunch was heard under Dave Chargin Charlie B's Plymouth and he almost instantly turned sideways into the path of Brian Conn. Charlie had broken a right tie rod, and although he was ok and Brian suffered minor damage, the shunt caused debris to hole the radiator on the Big Ford and neither was able to continue.
The caution laps in features under 100 total laps in length do not count in the SNRA this year. So it was lap 27 when Chuck Buel and Carl took the green. For the next 23 laps Carl tried on the outside, tried on the inside and tried several slide jobs, but Buel's little Merc was on rails. Molly watched hopefully along with Mr. D Sr. but Buel never waivored, even as the groove moved up slightly. Carl made one last dive at the checkers, but Chuck Buel came home the winner by a half car length. Molly took third jsut behind these two with Mark Desjardins Sr. fourth and Carl Brennecke hung on for fifth. Kevin Sassman took a smooth sixth, Kim Johnson took another top 10 with seventh. Mark Desjardins Jr. improved with an 8th, Chris Bulldog Carman was ninth, and again, in the lead lap and this time in the top 10 came Homer Shockey and his '57, missing no parts.
Posted Image A perfect race for Winner Chuck Buel
Uncle Verde racing whooped it up in victory lane, joined by nearly the whole field as it was indeed a fine accomplishment for Chuck Buel, having never sat in more than a Hobby Stock in his career. He had driven the perfect race. Next week the SNRA take to the track for the Vintage Late Model Nationals, the first paved track race at 150 big laps, at Historic Rockford Speedway.

Feature Finish:
1. Chuck Buel 56 61 Comet
2. Carl da Bugman Ross 13 63 Fury
3. Molly Wallace-Sunter M80 62 Fury
4. Mark Desjardins Sr. 19 Galaxie
5. Carl Brennecke 7ER 65 Fairlane
6. Kevin Sassman 11 56 Bel Air
7. Kim Johnson 2 61 Bel Air
8. Marky W9 Desjardins 56 Chev 210
9. Chris Bulldog Carman 7L 55 Bel Air
10. Homer Shocky 6 57 Chev 210
11. Wisdonm Mueller 15 64 Marauder
12. Frank the Crank Burval 3 64 Belv
13. Chris Skunky Sunter 55 56 Chev Bel Air
14. Mrs. D Desjardins 3m 56 Ford
15. Dave CC Bayer 15s 64 Belv
16. Brian Conn 7 59 Galaxie
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations Chuck on your win fbr ...it was your race to win, you looked fast all night long.

From the checkers to a wrecker...fortunately it looks like something a radiator shop can take care of easy enough...how something rather small made it thru 2 mud screens and the grill is beyond me. The only discernible damage was to the radiator itself.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

wreckers9
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Chuck on the win. Taking the '55 back to the shop for a quick cam swap to try and squeeze some more power out of it. :)))
git-r-done!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I'm sorry Brian. Wasn't my fault and certainly not yours! You took every precaution with your screening and so forth. I think I must have cracked the tie rod and broke the idler arm on that side too when I hooked that groove in the track during the heat. I think the flood must have caused it but I wish I would have seen it during practice and qualifying. With our car, we needed to run pretty low into the turns to get good speed. It kind of threw me up over a couple of those infield tires and everything just unloaded later when I headed into the turn later with us racing. Afterwards we saw the parts were sheered though and the rod end was just gone! But that would seem big enough you would have to have seen a hole in the screen. I had no warning whatsoever, everything seemed tight with no play after the heat. We are going to use all new parts and double weld and reinforce all the stress points as we fix it. So sorry again, glad you are ok.
Also, thanks for not hitting me too hard, that big Beautiful Brute could have hurt me :lol: And congrats to Chuck Buel.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, the GHR crew is happy with the way things have gone so far considering the Fairlane sat in the barn for so long. Horace is pretty good at making some power in the 427 and keeping it tuned. I have almost made the choice to throw away ALL Goodyear tires and go with Firestone. Bad luck with those tires last season and now this year. Our old Pal Homer is using sun-baked used street tires and they hold air for him but our new racing rubber leaks---Go figure! Homer told me he was thinking about getting some racing rubber and "be on you guys like a hot marshmallow on a Girl Scouts tongue." Homer also asked Del Hoyt for a couple of Hoyt-Clagwell Left-Handed Framis Pins. I have no idea what they are or how he uses them but he says it really makes a difference. Sure Homer, hang in there buddy.

Congrats to the winner and all you guys remember to come by the GHR pit and visit with the Brennecke Girls and try some of Sarah's Chicken. Sarah makes some award winning chicken and just before the race, Homer ate 14 wings and 6 legs. Carl said the guy aint human. Anyone that can eat that much, climb in a mess like he drives and fight it for 100 laps is from another planet. See everyone next week.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well don't that beat all, our old hobby stock driver brings home the win. Chuck was certainly excited in victory lane, he said he is finally used to those wide tires with some grip compared with the skinny street tires he was accustomed to back in the old days. He was so excited he sprang for Dr Peppers for the whole team. What a night!

Thanks for the great race report Dave! :)))
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats out to Chuck! Great Driving!

Special thanks to my crew especially Titus and Monk for that Hot Tune on the Hemi for the Heat Win! Great Work Guys!
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah Frank, Monk can do more with a couple of hammers that guys with a whole set of wrenches. r:r After the race we had a drink, and I wasn't surprised to see that he had a glass or bourbon, Straight, No Chaser! :)))
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Monk likes to call that "Speedway Tonic" there Dave! ..//..
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

« Previous Topic · SATURDAY NIGHT RACING ASSOCIATION · Next Topic »
Add Reply