Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Results, Race 1 Atlanta; Lakewood Speedway, Pretty Good
Topic Started: May 14 2017, 01:50 PM (240 Views)
Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted ImageSNRA Late Model Race #1, Atlanta (for the Moms) 100, Lakewood Speedway, Atlanta, Ga. 1 mile shallow banked clay oval. May 13, 2017.

The new old stock cars of the 2017 SNRA arrived at the newly reopened Lakewood Speedway and the teams were immediately bowled over by the rustic beauty of the place, mixed in with high tech safety features and great amenities. Word was out that the SNRA was coming, and curiosity was high as to how well the over 50 year old machinery of even the newest legal cars would fare this year, particularly on a big, airy and tricky oval like Lakewood and, just how many might last the distance!

Any fears were at least partially brushed aside when Dave Chargin Charlie Bayer blistered the long track with his 64 Hemi Plymouth setting an all time stock car record last set in the 50's. Kim Johnson was also under the mark with Another Rick Johnsons '61 409 Chev. Frank Burval did not disappoint withe the third fastest time in another Hemi Plymouth, while the Brian Conn entry, sans roof came up 4th in qualifying. Rookie Molly Wallace-Sunter, wife and matriarch of the Skunky family put yet another Mopar into the top 5 with her '62 413 Ramcharger powered Plymouth. Favorite Wisdonm Mueller spun on his qualifying lap and Chris Bulldog Carman was a late arrival and these two made up the last row. To no ones surprise, Homer Shocky turned the slowest qualifying lap but not by much as everyone was within 2 1/2 seconds of one another and nothing fell off the car. Homer's car sailed through tech inspection, actually demonstrating marvelous safety features for a car of its age and type.Posted Image Homer, not blazing, but solid.

NFL MVP Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons waved off the colorful field at 7:30 pm and over the first 15 to 20 laps, Charlie stretched out to a nearly 4 second lead over first Kim Johnson and then a dueling Frank the Crank Burval and Flyin Brian Conn, with roof for the race. Clearly the big track was delivering a good day for the big blocks. As the race screamed towards its middle stages, Brian began to cut into Charlies lead ever so slightly until the first caution at lap 51 when Frank spun in the 3rd turn having cut down a tire.
Posted Image The fields view of Charlie over the 1st half of the race.
As the field slowed, Carl Ross's 63 Plymouth erupted in smoke, his 8 3/4 Chrysler rear having given way after its long hibernation in the Spink Family garages. Carl had moved from the back into 7th at the time of this mishap.
When the green came back out on lap 54 Charlie held the lead for 5 laps but gradually Brian Conn worked his way around and into the lead by lap 60. Curt Brennecke had been running a steady race in the 65 Fairlane and inched up to Conn's bumper by the 67th lap, with Charlie keeping track. The racers maintained these positions for the next 10 laps or so when Wisdonm, who had picked off cars all race long worked into second and then actually around both Brennecke and Conn for the lead in the ex-Parnelli Jones, Bill Stroppe car. Don had used up a lot of the Mercs smaller rubber through his worst to first charge and his lead was only for 3 laps until first Conn and then Brennecke came back around. Eventually Charlie was to get inside of him and nipped him at the checkers by a fender length for third. Just ahead of them, over the last 10 laps, Brennecke tried Conn high and low, but at the flag, he remained pasted to Brian's rear bumper. Brian Conn took the victory in SNRA 1 for 2017, with Curt Brennecke second. Charlie took third, as noted, and allowed as how the car was fine but he himself ran out of gas. "I was just rediagnosed with atrial fibrillation and amscheduled for an electrocardioversion on June 1. Its not fatal, I'm fine but it can lead to stroke so I need to be careful, and need to get into better shape," he said with crew chief Titus at his side licking Charlie's sweaty hands. Wisdonm was 4th after an incredible drive and Kevin Sassman brought his immaculate 427 powered 56 Chev. home in 5th. Just behind was Kim Johnson. Notably, Mark Desjardins Sr. took a 7th in his first race in years. Skunky was 8th in his 56, Frank the Crank came back from his unexpected pit stop to 9th, and Molly Wallace-Sunter was 10th in her very first race. Yep, Homer came home in 11th, in one piece and remarkable bouncy and fresh with fellow old timer Chuck Buel in 12th. Michelle Desjardins was 13th in a photofinish with her son, Marky Desjardins Jr., the 2015 champ, in 14th. All were on the lead lap. Chris Carman need to pit several times to add water to his radiator and was one lap down in 15th, with Carl DNFing for 16th due to the differential problems.
Posted Image Und ze winner, Brian Conn.

Finish Atlanta 100 Feature

1. Brian Conn #7 59 Galaxie 100 pts.
2. Carl Brennecke #7 ER 65 Fairlane 98
3. Dave Charlie Bayer #15c 64 Belv. 96
4. Wisdonm Mueller #15 64 Marauder 94
5. Kevin Sassman #11 56 Bel Air 92
6. Kim Johnson #2 61 Bel Air 90
7. Mark Desjardins Sr. #19 64 Galaxie 88
8. Chris Skunky Sunter #55 56 Bel Air 86
9. Frank the Crank Burval #3 64 Belv. 84
10.Molly Wallace-Sunter #M80 64 Fury 82
11.Homer Shockey #6 57 Chev 210 Sed. 80
12.Chuck Buel #56 61 Merc. Comet 78
13.Michelle Desjardins #3 56 Ford 76
14.Marky w9 Desjardins #17 56 Chev. 74
15.Chris Bulldog Carman #8 55 Chev. 72
16.Carl Bugman Ross #13 63 Fury 70

The SNRA early Late Models proved a fast and resilient group and the race was crowd pleasing. Join us next week for a dash, heats, and 50 lap feature at the highbanked 1/3 mile dirt oval in Peoria, Ill. for some pre-memorial day fun!
:)))
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The GHR Crew and I spent a whole afternoon watching Homer adjust and tinker with his car. Having done that, I could write a whole new chapter in race car set-up and terminology. We are used to hearing things like; Give me a round of wedge, A little more stagger, take some pre-load out of the sway bar, I need a stiffer shock on the right rear. Well, with Homer it is a little different. When he wants some wedge, he tells the crew to give him two or three links. Stagger is simply---"Use the Bigun or the Littleun". You see, there are chains at all four corners of Homers car and he does his adjustments by adding crew members on the car and taking up extra links of chain connected to the frame and suspension member. Yes, its crude but he has always done it that way. The car has no weight jacks or sway bars. And someone mentioned safety features???? I think that was a mis-print. That should read Safety Hazzard. In theory, nothing Homer does should work but it does for him. Put him in a good car and he couldn't drive a straight line. Last thing he said to me was: Wait till we gets to some of them little short tracks. We'll show them boys with them boat-anchor motors how racing is done where I come from. He also told me he was going to put on the Holley 850 double squirter. Said the 650 on the 327 made it run like it had asthma. Nuff said, I left him alone after that.

Carl liked the Fairlane and the power he got from Horace. He said that Brian Conn had the fastest Sherman Tank he has ever seen. "Man, that thing is so big you would have to pass it twice to get around. I got close in a turn once and he checked up a little. I hit him in the rear and I thought it was gonna knock my fillings out! He didn't even wiggle but it took me a half lap to get my act back together. "

By the way Chargin'Dave, you might not remember Nixie but she remembers you. She says Hi.
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmmm, Creeb (my former engine man) may have been right about using FOMOCO power since 4 of the top 7 were using the blue oval (or their sister). Well, guess I'll have to drag that big old W-head into the shop and see if we can't tweak a few more horses out of 'er. Might look at slipping some "Monster" into Kim's coffee on race day. shhe
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, to both youse guys. Rick, I thought you did pretty well, qualifying and in the race, I just thought that like me Kim might have been getting a little tired. LOL I think you have a blend of both worlds with the 409, a great all around car.:)))

And Lefty, whew. Well, every lap Homer just plodded on and on, even passing a few cars. I could see him from the far end of the straight occasionally, heading into 1 or 3 and we never did lap him!!
Oh dear, Nixie! She looks a little bit like Carl's wife, I think. I am still having memory problems, I hope I didn't do anything stupid that AMB won't like! :unsure: Still she is welcome in Titus's and my pit anytime or at the shop.... or, I guess I better shut up. Tell her hi for me anyway!
Homer may be right about the Hemi, we'll see how I do on a flat quarter, probably straight into the wall, but it sure flew today on those long 2 1/2 straights with the torsion bars and the leaves! And no crash damage or water to pump out of anything.
Now, off to work out, a quick shower and off with AMB to a supper club for mom's day dinner.

Dave CC B. Commish, friend and fellow racer.

AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No Dave, you didn't do anything to twist off AMB. Nixie should look like Carl's wife, Gretchen. She is Gretchen's sister, Nixie Kohler. She thinks you Wisconsin boys talk funny yet I can't understand half of what Gretchen and Nixie say. I have worn out a English-German Dictionary trying to follow along.

Did you notice that old Homer ran that race on DOT Tires???? That knot-head don't even own a racing tire. I also found out that on lap three the brake pedal fell off and he ran that entire race with NO BRAKES. Not that he uses them anyway. So, something did fall off his car, he just kicked it around in the floor boards and it never fell on the track. He is fun to watch but he makes me really nervous.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Brian, the Galaxie runs as good as she looks, nice job out there.
And I'm pretty happy to get a top 5 with the old blue Chevy, not bad for the first night out.
As far as our new driver Chuck, he still has to get used to the power the Red Comet has.
He was a little shaky at times but at least he kept the car out of the lake.
:)))
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
THANKS!!!! Much appreciated.....
Still getting things figured out with the car...
I figured that I could get by with out a fan shroud, but it ran hot, not too hot it just ran hot enough that if the mud screen picks up too much mud it would probably over heat and cost me a race.
From now on out,when the suns out, the roof is on. The Sun almost blinded me a few times in time trials, at least with a roof on I got some shade....shedding the roof cuts a bunch of top heavy weight, so if I need to run lighter at some track I can at least do that since there is no weight rules, like I would have to worry about making scales.
I was lucky enough to get a decent starting position in the feature, had it not been for that, I don't think that I would have done as well...there were several drivers that were running hard right behind me at the end. I am used to having to shift gears to get thru the corners on a big flat track like the 1/2 mile Fairgrounds track in Topeka, Ks. or the 1 mile in Sedalia, mo. but this one was different, it was more like racing on the turnpike highway than a dirt track.

Lefty...tell your driver not to worry about the rear bumper, it will buff right out. tong
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Brian. fbr

We can't wait for some paved tracks. That Merc's long tail just wears out the rear tires on soft tracks.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr fbr fbr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

grm1018
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The cars sure look great this year. I wish everyone good luck this year. :))) fbr
Gordon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Gordon. Remember, you can join us any time!
Dave :lol:
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

grm1018
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh i know thx. I was not happy at all with the project i attempted to build. The end result in my opinion was not up to snuff. I will check in this year and leave notes with you guys. Keep up the great work. Thx Charlie :))) fbr B)
Gordon

« Previous Topic · SATURDAY NIGHT RACING ASSOCIATION · Next Topic »
Add Reply