Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GHR Plymouth for 2017 season
Topic Started: Mar 3 2017, 05:17 PM (677 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here is the start of what the GHR crew chose for a race car. Now as you have been able to guess, I am less than happy about this deal. So……after the crew stripped this thing I roughed in a cage and some chassis work. It has no paint and no finishing touches yet, just roughed in. All I can say is, its a Plymouth. As you can see, it is nothing trick or exotic, just the bare basics. Gotta stick with the time period. Just your basic hobby stocker in the mid 70's but a LMS in the early to mid 60's.
Posted Image
Not your average Plymouth most would pick but the GHR crew is not average.
Posted Image
It is still a little rough around the edges but maybe I can get it looking better with some paint and a full suspension. The crew thinks it is funny. I think it is ugly. If this thing ever fixes its own dents I swear I will dump it in E.R.'s Lake!!!!
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
.....I think you are off to a great start fbr :)))

....me thinks that the self deprivation is some sort of diversion tactic to keep the rest of us thinking that you are not at all happy with the car and already doubting / second guessing things....If it's some sort of stigmatism connected to Plymouth, then tell everyone and yourself it's a DESOTO...

Joking aside...
I for one am looking forward to a race were it is not a Chevy parade...so the mo' MOPARS the better.

When I saw your pictures, this one out of my collection came to mind....
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
Fellow Topekan and local MOPAR guru Jim Still....picture taken in the early 70's

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Geez Lefty, the thing looks beautiful to me, the torsion bars and leaf springs are going to kick a lot of butts in the turns, especially on the dirt. My time constraints don't allow me to be as elaborate as you, I'm using a Lindberg 64 with some height with some center of gravity/ride height mods but that is about it. Nichels put out wonderful stuff though. The guy that founded Bemco engineering used to work for Ray. Of course Hemi power, which LaFontaine has gotten his teeth into. r:r

Just a little interesting aside. I've been building for 40+ years. I've used a lot of different adhesives, paint, materials for building model cars, but for the first time I used Tenax 7 as my "welding" agent. I always thought it was just another liquid cement, not good for stock car builders who make up lots of tubing and often need super glue. But my Kiwi friends said it drys really fast and to try it. The stuff, made in my back yard in LaCrosse, Wis. is fantastic! :))) No more than 10 seconds from part to part, if that even. My cage was done in noting flat, was solid in an hour, I even extended a rear bracing tube and sanded the joint smooth. If you use a bit on each part rather than the capillary method, which does work too, and squeeze them together, you even can obtain a sort of scale welding bead!

Dave B.

Pictures maybe in a week or two.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Chargin', at least Somebody thinks its beautiful. All I think of when I look at it is a cheesy B movie. It is a long way from anything Bill Bembinster would have built. I would like for GHR to have his status but face it, its hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys.

Time Constraints? To be honest, I hacked up the chassis parts on a thursday afternoon, fitted the roll cage the next. There is about 2 1/2 hours in what you see. The cage is made from Evergreen .093 tube, which would be about 1 3/4 inch tube in 1:1. Believe me, it is a lot easier to bend and fit one of these than in the real thing. I have used Tenax 7R for years. I only use a liquid or super glue and stopped using that tube stuff 40 years ago. To save a little money, I picked up a quart of M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) at the hardware store for about $8. I just re fill my Tenax or Ambroid bottles with that and keep going. It is pretty much the same thing and works just as well. Judging by the smell, I would say it is the same liquid I was paying $3.50 a bottle for at 1.5-2 oz. at a time. Some tell me that stuff will kill me. Sure. So will tomato juice if you drink enough at one time. I think I would have a better chance at death if I ate McDonalds food.

There might be a 64 330 show up from one of the Podunkville crowd. I have a whole stack of those kits to cut up if my stiff hands will allow me to do so. I guess Homer will be the only one to have a GM product. See ya in the fourth turn.
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I almost went with the 330 myself! I was surprised that the wheelbase was a little longer than the Plymouth, but in the end, I just thought the Belvedere was nice looking, certainly nicer than the Dodge. I actually like the tires in the Plymouth but it was bugging me since they are so darn small, that was my main problem with the way things looked when I hogged out the fenderwells a bit and when I lowered the suspension a tad. I didn't want to go with steamrollers for this build, then it finally hit me. Johann tires always had a slightly smaller center diameter and voila, the bigger tires gave me the look I wanted and the Lindberg rims still fit perfectly. I'm happy now. That is until tomorrow when I try to find some kind of data set and try to run an IBM SPSS multiple regression/moderation analysis. I think I'll wear two watches so I'm not tempted to slit my wrists! r:r JK
One thing I did notice about the Tenax is that it didn't have that usual laquory, methol esther ketone, or whatever smell to it so maybe its a bit different formula or something in recent times. But the stuff made a believer out of me. I've got all my major subassemblies done and ready for paint and the only thing I superglued was the engine block so I could sand all the seams smooth right away. Of course the white glue and 5 minute epoxy comes out for the glass and final mounting of the body shell, etc.
Anyway, that 58 Belvedere is slick, 57-58 bowties look kind of pudgy and bloated next to this slick masterpiece!!!! Later
Dave B.
Oh, PS. Actually as I look at the chassis, know it isn't quite an early Bill Bembinster creation, but it does look a bit like a Howe! Maybe you should paint it a grass green LOL.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
rrr Wow, Lefty...TO hear you talk, I thought your car was going to look like some 70 year old Washington DC hooker with leprosy! I have to agree with Charlie...that's a nice looking rocket you got there! Looking forward to the finished project! I started to go with the '58, but I have always wanted a street version, and couldn't bring myself to hack one up. No 1964's for me either...looking at landing more in between the two. Six Feet Under's air compressor died, so painting is still undone.

Geez...every time we about make ends meet, someone moved my dad-burn ends! mm1
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well guys, I have a small up-date for you from the GHR team. Me, Lefty was summoned to my sponsor, E.R. Bechtolsheim's office once again. ( I really do hate going there.) It was a combination business meeting and our sponsor deal for 2017. There were four grey haired non-smiling gentlemen there I had never met before named Krebs, Jodl, Keitel and Burgdorf. A fifth man was there and stayed behind the four and his name was Bonicelle. He smelled a lot like garlic. The whole meeting was really uncomfortable for me, I wasn't sure if I should try and escape or find a copy of the Geneva Convention. Anyway, I was asked…….no, wait. I was ORDERED by E.R. to get a second team car ready for Curt Brennecke, our former driver and brother of Carl. And it was to be a Chrysler Product. News to me and Carl. So………this season GHR will run a team car with Curt as driver. This is just thrilling news since I don't even have Carls car near ready but have to find something else too. Sometimes I feel like I would be better off without a sponsor.
Posted Image
Richard Nixon

« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS DIRT · Next Topic »
Add Reply