Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Face Coming to SNRA
Topic Started: Feb 9 2017, 12:32 PM (574 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, there is a new face coming to the SNRA this year. At this time, let me introduce you to Mr. Homer Shockey. Homer is a past racer and was 4 time champion at Sooner Speedway in Sallisaw Ok. 1963, 64, 65 and 67 in the same car. In 1966, he tried his skills in a modified coupe and spent the entire season testing the roll cage and winning nothing. He returned in 67 with his old faithful 57 chevy and was one last time track Champion. Homer operates a gas station between Sallisaw and Stillwell Okla. during the day and works at Coldernell Refrigeration as a fork lift operator at night. He let me know that since the SNRA rules suited him this year, he was going to pull his old 57 from the back pasture, clean it up some, add some parts and join the series. Now I know Homer and I know the car. I can only CRINGE when I think of him in the SNRA series. His last statement to me was: "I still got parts for it. I have a super hot 327 in the barn and since the tires are still up and not too hard, I can still use them too"! Homer told me he was not going to re-body the car, just paint it. Well, not only do you guys have to deal with the Podunkville crowd, now you have to deal with a back woods Okie too. Here is some pics of Homer's death trap---er I mean, Car!
Posted Image
Posted Image
As you can tell, there is not much of a race car there. Homer will find racing is not what it used to be at Sooner Speedway in the past.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Welcome Homer!, hope to learn lots from you.Lefty makes you sound like a hilly billy(hill William classy mt folk).don,t he know they are best mechanics!!and fabicatetors? Car reminds me of fellow comp.Jack Naum and his 57,also many time champ.good thing we can lighten driver(me),and anything we can strip from car(8track has to stay)

:)))

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's going to be a fine looking 57. rlr
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....Another one of your Chevy builds that I have to copy something from...you answered my next general question reference a leaf rear end set up of that era...I see that the shocks are staggered....
I do have another question....were the drive shafts painted White back in the mid to late 60's? I am assuming that they were, but not 100% sure .?.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
IAfan, 57 it is but "Fine Looking" is a little over the top. When finished, you might re-word that as "Fine Looking Junker". LOL!

Brian, on a local level the drive shaft rule didn't hit our local asphalt track until 1973. They wanted them white so you could see it on the asphalt track when a car spit one out. Since the dirt tracks here all turned black by feature time, they used the rule also. Before then, they were what ever color they were when you jacked it from the salvage yard. If you had one made, it was a nice steel color. I know the Nascar and IMCA and other groups had a white rule but I don't really know when it was put in effect. It might be because I was not paying attention but I don't remember seeing them in Nascar until the early 80's. Considering the era we are modeling, I think a rusty-dirty color with some greasy finger prints on it would be right on the money. I have seen hundreds like that after the knot-head crew plugged it in at the last minute. The staggered shock thing was done to help with the wrap-up and wheel hop on the leaf springs. I think it was copied from Ford and GM that did it on some Mustangs and Nova and Camaros to help with that problem. Did it work? Some drivers said it did.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't mean to keep hi jacking your thread, but there are some details I see in your build that makes me want to try it with mine....building a period correct stock car of this era (non NASCAR)is not as easy as one would think...I think .?.
Anyway, hopefully my last question....Dirt stock cars of the late 60's...leaf spring rears,coil spring fronts...did they use weight jacks on the front?
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You are not hi jacking the thread at all, you are doing what I would like to happen----conversation and discussion. Keep it up.

I can only answer your question as to what I was seeing in my area at that time and what I would see from time to time in racing publications. Here, I saw all kinds of combinations from genius to ridiculous. I saw weight jack bolts in the right front only AND in both sides. Some guys simply used spacers with an outboard shock. As for the leafs, I saw all kinds of crazy things done but the guys that did well kept the leafs parallel and used blocks between the spring and rear axle. They could add or decrease wedge by adding or taking away the blocks. To be honest, there were lots of local racers here back in the day had no idea what a weight jack bolt or wedge was. It was in the later 60's when our old pal Larry, along with Dean Roper, David Goldsberry and some others came to town and took the money did I start to see those things on the racers. So, to answer your question after all this rambling, If you were a serious racer and had a little knowledge, yes there would have been jack bolts on the front. Most of these early local style cars were pretty basic and there was not a lot of adjustments built in. A racer did what he had to do to make it work no matter how bizarre. The USAC and IMCA racers usually had better connections and funds so their equipment was much better. It varied from place to place. I would see a huge difference in equipment in say, Kansas City, and Chicago than I would see here. I was always excited to visit those places as a kid. I felt I was seeing real stock cars compared to the junker stockers I saw here and would ask as many questions as I could. I am sure I was viewed as one obnoxious little kid.

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
From what I see, it's just another Chevy for lunch.....BWAHAHAHAHA r:r

Oh, wait...too early for trash talk? .?.

Seriously, Mr. Shockey will definitely be a threat to contend with. Us ole mountain folk from WNC have heard of him, and heard of him well. But David had heard stories of Goliath, too....
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, its never too early for the BS or garbage mouthing. Thing is, you are probably right, Ol Homer has a good chance getting back side handed to him on a chrome trailer. He did fine racing against other junk yard creations but the SNRA is a little tougher than Sooner Speedway. I wouldn't get in that thing to move it out of the shop. Its the kind of car that can hurt you just climbing in and out. Wish him luck, he's gonna need lots of it.

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well now, I'm wondering how that fuel cell got in there! :unsure: Could it be that it was part of an "apparatus" to make "alky fuel" ahem, for his modified coupe, and then it looked like it might make a good gas tank? jump

Dave B.

PS. Yes this is a good thread, keep it up, though Lefty, I will have to admit I was hoping it might be a friend of Ms. Emily's or someone that might be joining the series. I know I mention your acquaintances of the female persuasion a lot, but then Ms. Annette M. B., the CEO of both AMB Racing, and my life, says that the day I quit looking is the day she will have to worry! She needn't worry anyway, keeping my talented but eccentric crew chief, Lafontaine, in line keeps me busy full time. Cajun dog food is not easy to find.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, and not to worry, Funeralhome man, never too early for trash talk, especially when it comes to Shivvys. AMB has its new Mopar underway, being made from a cache of left over Nichels Engineering pieces that were stored inside by some miracle for all these years, some in cosmoline. Both the Hemi and cage are approaching getting their finishing touches, and we are turning our attention to the suspension. :))) We are also considering a retractable Alfa front spoiler, ..... no we're not! r:r

Dave B. and Titus Lafontaine
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I know what it is, Ms. Annette caught you eye-ballin' that photo of Gretchen Brennecke I posted along with the Hildabrandt Brennecke pic. That just proves you're a normal guy. Hahahaha!

Homer added the fuel cell in fear the beer keg gas tank would not pass safety inspection. If you were to look inside, I am sure there is no foam or rubber liner there. Homer also told me the car still carries the drum brakes. In his words to me---"Its a racin' car, who needs brakes? If I need to slow down, I just throw er sideways!" I guess if he needs to stop real fast in the pits, he can hit the hauler.

I am sure Emily will be around. Lots of the Podunkville bunch is kinda busy right now. Dell is about to put his polka dot paint on the market, Leonard Leadbetter is finishing up working on his powdered water experiment, Leonards Pig Spaz is said to be courting Sweeny, another pig, Carl and the GHR crew is pushing me to build a Plymouth, yep, a Plymouth. We will see, not made up my mind yet. As of now, I need to go find some Pepto Bismol, I had lunch at Madge Fimple's diner today. I knew I should have had some of Sarah's fried chicken at the Tastee Freeze.

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Well, well, well...I figured Dave would be fielding a Mopar, but now Lefty is considering converting....and here I thought I may have the only Plymerf in the mix. I happen to have scored a pretty decent looking chassis from Lee Petty Engineering in Randleman. They also threw in a few parts that I may need and made me a heckuva deal. But I don't know...they seemed awful eager to get this car off the property. .?.

As of right now, "he's" under wraps in a backwoods shed here in rural Western North Carolina. He'll be called forth after the weekend, hopefully.
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, the GHR crew has hauled in a Plymouth and rolled it in the shop. They are pushing me really hard to get it ready for this years season. I guess I could but I would have to wear rubber gloves in case ugly is contagious. This thing they picked is really ugly!!! That argument with the crew didn't fly, they told me if I really wanted to see ugly, I should look in the mirror a few times. Nothing like a crew that respects the boss. Sooooo…………I guess for this series GHR will field a……….Gag!…………..Plymouth. I guess its true about what I have always heard. If you can't beat em, DODGE em!

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Lefty...have to yet again hand it to you sir, combine the old Chevy that was pulled out of retirement and the bio on Homer, keeps me coming back to this thread as the plot thickens. And although the piece that Homer has is ragged (that's a compliment to your detail by the way...), I bet she'll roll again once that hot 327 is dropped in. And I typically do not build this era/time frame, but a strong interest has always been there to do so and this thread is just another influence to follow through. That being said, I might have to see if our team has any old 55 - 57's that once participated in the figure 8 races that we could dust off and salvage? They were very popular back in the day at Anderson Speedway (....then Sun Valley). Now, time to start taking action on some of my ideas while Jim Croce's "Rapid Roy that stock car boy" tune plays in my head...

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Racin' I am glad you are getting jacked up for this season and I am happy 'Ol Homer got your attention. All my characters are mostly a fig newton of my pea-brain, a mixture of personalities I have met over the years. Homer is the first one that is--or was---a real person. He did run a station, fooled with racing, was a self-proclaimed mechanic, played the harmonica, listened to Gospel Music all day and would try anything even if he had no idea how to do it. He would have tried to work on a Nuclear Reactor if he could have got near one. I myself, would have wanted to be on the other side of the planet if he did so. He fumbled and bumbled his way to many a success, how I have no clue. He was easy going and very easy to like and comical without even trying. I figure to use many quotes from him this next season.
Homer Leon Shockey Aug. 18, 1942--------Jan. 24, 2008 RIP Homer!!!!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I am truly happy, that Homer, like many a defunct race track, is rising to continued glory in the SNRA. From what you say, the world was a better place with Homer in it, so I will do my best to help you do him justice.
So, a Mopar explosion! Wowee!! I actually was looking at a 64 Dodge Polara which was mostly there, but the disassembled Nichels Plymouth I found was absolutely complete and someone had even ordered up a bunch of new Mopar performance parts for the Hemi. It limits AMB to more of an IMCA style car, but we have lightened it a lot, got some early H/A discs and we will have the power. A 64 Belvedere, it is pretty sleek and is a hardtop, it was spared the ugly stick Equally effective on asphalt or dirt. We are doing up the cage and hooking up the unibody and front stub in the AMB shop and we just finished all the body panels and will have them off to the paint booth tomorrow.

Dave, Titus, and Annette
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It has been a bad week Chargin'. It's this Plymouth thing. When the crew told me they wanted to run a Plymouth, I looked like this:
Posted Image

When I told the guys at Madge Fimples Cafe.
Posted Image

When I told my Cat.
Posted Image

When I told my friends from Svalbard.
Posted Image

I won't even write down what E. R. said. He is still laughing uncontrollably in his office.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I didn't think Homer was serious about this year but he was. Here he is, all loaded up and ready to roll. I am not going to wish Homer luck, I am going to wish everyone that has to race with him luck. Forbid the thought of him starting on the front row, Turn one would be the largest pile-up in history. Homer does not drive, he aims then steers with his right foot. He is a thrill a lap kind of guy. If its a 50 lap race, he tries to kill himself 50 times. Should be an interesting season.
Posted Image

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Boy, I really like Homer's Rig though. A RACE CAR on an open trailer, that is how it should be. Like his sponsor too! :))) It makes me happy to think about racing with Homer.
So Lefty, I was just thinking, aside from wanting the Brennecke wives in the pits, what ever happened to ol' Heckpussy LeFleur or whatever his name was? :unsure: I kind of miss him.

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh yes, Heckpussy LaFlamme. He is fooling with projects with Leonard Leadbetter over at the Greater Podunkville Research Center. Heckpussy, Leonard and Duffy were building an AA/FA for the drag series but that went on hold with the passing of Duffy. Leonard was tied down with increased production at the Center and Heckpussy dumped a bundle on a one of a kind ball bearing collection. The AA/FA was sent to Historic Racing Associates to be finished and used in competition. HRA has not got to it yet but they will. HP as we call him also did shop and pit duty for Emily last season. If everything holds together and the creek don't rise, you should hear more about HP and Leonard. (Gimmie a break. A guy can only come up with so much of this insane crap.) You will hear from Del, Roy and the rest of the idiots at some point. I have learned that I need more hands than the two I have to get all the projects done. By the way, did you find the photo of Nixie?

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now my mind is swimming, of course that is relatively normal. Nixie? I don't remember what that was about. Sorry. .?. :o
Glad the ol HP is still around. For some reason that name has just been going through my mind over and over. I have my Plymouth posted right under Homer's. I finished it today. It isn't completely lettered and decaled, but it is completely built and is race ready. It almost ended up in the trash can a few times too, those big wheels and tires are all pinned after they all broke off the spindles or axles at one point or another during the build. But I think I came out pretty fair after all. Chassis, cage, bracing, engine were not a problem at least!
Dave
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS DIRT · Next Topic »
Add Reply