Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'59-'60 NASCAR exhaust design
Topic Started: Feb 8 2017, 10:46 PM (118 Views)
wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've seen hundreds of pictures of '59-'60 NASCAR cars, but I never see any sign of exhaust tips. What were the NASCAR rules for the exhaust systems of this period? .?.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wiz, I will try and help here if I can. Somewhere in the large pile of NASCAR history I have stacked around I read some info on this and if my old brain does not get the memory wrong, here is what I remember.

I THINK the rule was the exhaust was to terminate anywhere past the driver. Some car builders chose to run the exhaust all the way out the back of the car as can be seen on some photos until 1960. If I remember right, there was a big flap from drivers during the 1959 Daytona race with drivers arguing that cars with exhaust exiting the rear caused the car following to run hot. Now as we know today, it was because of no air, not the exhaust. I think it was at that time NASCAR came up with the rule to dump the exhaust out the side. Just about any 1960 NASCAR Stocker I have seen a photo of shows the exhaust dumped out the side so that tells me that was about the time the rule came about. I am not sure if the photos were post Daytona or not. I kind of feel if you built your car either way, you would be correct for 1959-60 depending on which race you were modeling the car for. I do not recall if there was a size restriction on the dump tubes but I have seen them in different sizes dumping out the sides. I don't think aftermarket tube headers were accepted until around 1966 or 1967. I have been unable to find the information I read so if others have some hard info please jump in and share and correct me where I am in error. Hope this helps a little.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Lefty. The days of strictly stock were over even then.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't know if this will help or not....http://z8.invisionfree.com/Scale_Racing_Lo...showtopic=11000
scroll down and you will see a 1957 thru 1964 Ford Cow belly frame.....not sure if the Chevy's, Mopars and etc. cut holes in the frame or not....the poster claims that this picture is from 1960. If nothing else it shows where the exhaust exited the pipes at....there would have been an area notched out for the pipe on the rocker panels.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

« Previous Topic · TOWN HALL · Next Topic »
Add Reply