Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Southern Fryed 2017 Jr. Fueler - "Little Feather"; Completed with final photos
Topic Started: Feb 3 2017, 05:20 PM (327 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The crew at Historic Racing Associates is in the midst of a two week thrash to get the notorious “Little Feather” Junior Fuel dragster, the scourge of Lions back in the mid 60’s, ready for this years’ Southern Fryed drag tour. The Kent Fuller chassis is a design modified from the work Fuller had done for Tony Nancy for his first front engine dragster. The engine bay was set back by simplifying the tube structure in front of the driver resulting in a shorter drive train. Below is a sequence showing the original Tony Nancy design (A), the modifications (B), and the final result.

Posted Image

The Little Feather gets its name from its short wheelbase and amazingly low weight, 820 lbs. soaking wet. Running over 90% nitro on its 310 cu. in. all aluminum small block it pulled 410 horsepower. The block and heads are Revell Parts Pack items finished in Testors Metalizer Aluminum to simulate the all-aluminum construction. The injectors are from the Revell Slingster kit and the scattershield is fron the Tony Nancy kit, as are the rear wheels and tires, here finished in Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust to simulate a Dow 7 finish.

To keep the weight down it runs a bare aluminum shorty body, here supplied by Altered States, with just a minimum of paint accents. I used Krylon Chrome paint to simulate polished aluminum. The [paint scheme is done with decals. I used white decal stock to eliminate the “silvering” that occurs when applying clear decal stock over bare metal style paint. Here are the graphics:

Posted Image

With barely a week to go my bench is covered in subassemblies ready for the final thrash. The motor is partially assembled, the chassis complete with the cut down interior and rear end assembly installed, ready to receive the front suspension and drive train. Here’s a shot of some of the parts:

Posted Image

Thanx for lookin’,
B.
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Keep thrashen, Bern. :)))

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanx!

Moving right along. The motor’s nearly complete, with most of the wiring and plumbing in place. The chassis only needs the steering and radius rods to be done. Here’s a rolling chassis with the body and motor mocked up into place. You can really spot the early 60’s 108” wheelbase now that the motor is in place and it’s up on its wheels. The front wheels are finished in Tamiya Gold Leaf on the rims to simulate anodized aluminum lightweight pieces as often seen on these featherweight diggers. The distributor on the motor is a new item from Morgan Auto Detail, a Cirello (or prior to that Schiefer) “Frankenstein” magneto. The headers, wheels and tires are all from the Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit and the fuel pump is courtesy of Altered States Models.

Thanx for Lookin’
B.

Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good stuff Bernard. :)))
Kevin

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanx!

All done! The injectors are Hilborn pieces from the Revell Slingster kit. The parachute from my parts box. Thanks to all who followed along!

Here are the final "beauty pics".

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another beauty. fbr

Now get on the road and get her entered. See you at Lions.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice work Bernard, I always enjoy your builds. fbr fbr fbr
Kevin

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks guys! We got it entered in time for this years tour. Phew! I was surprised how quickly this came together, especially since there was more detailing and fabrication than I originally thought. I hope I can get more race car builds in this year, including at least one more circle track car. In January completed my first jalopy racer but I'd like to do an asphalt car this year as well.
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Broken P-bucket links repaired...
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · NOSTALGIA DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply