Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'59 Ford Galaxie; 2017 SNRA
Topic Started: Jan 2 2017, 01:36 AM (1,725 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've started working on this so I figure its about time to post some pictures.....
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
This Revell kit will be the base for the build. I will be building this in the spirit of a fictional Midwest style local dirt Late Model that would have competed on a weekly basis in the very late 60's. This is the first build of this era for me....my builds so far are of the late 70's thru mid 80's.

I am ditching the hard top/convertible roof .....I just don't like the way it looks....I have a '57 Ford Fairlane roof and trunk lid that will be used instead. I will not permanently attach the roof so that it can be raced as a convertible as well. I will develop a fictional story to justify the cause to make it perhaps more interesting to fallow.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Never built a kit where the body was in sections like this......removed all of the unnecessary stuff from the radiator support,engine fire wall and removed the inner fender pieces. Removed the knobs and etc. from the dash and painted it Flat Black...got a basic gauge panel that will fit in the place of the original instrument panel. Flat Black on the kit radiator and brake master cylinder....black washed the radiator.

CORAL...YOU GOTTA GO! Going to go w/ colors more representative of the time.....will open up the wheel wells for tire clearance. The body will be slightly channeled...3-4 inches (1:1 scale)
ON THE WORK BENCH....

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Should make a cool race car Brian. I had one of those Skips Fiesta series Corvettes, it had a 3 piece body that was a real dog.
Kevin

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Heck Brian, you must have a 55 gallon drum of Patience close at hand. That is one of the more Aggravating kits I can think of. I have built a couple in the past in stock form and griped, cussed, fumed and insulted that kit the entire build process. Maybe since you are building a dirt stocker, I won't be such a chore. Getting the top installed and to operate will make a guy crazy but you have that problem covered. I think I only saw about two of these on the track through the years around here. I have seen some photos of them in other places. Good luck with this project, it should look pretty cool when you finish.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
IAracefan,Jan 2 2017
10:37 PM
Should make a cool race car Brian. I had one of those Skips Fiesta series Corvettes, it had a 3 piece body that was a real dog.

Lefturns75,Jan 3 2017
10:31 AM
Heck Brian, you must have a 55 gallon drum of Patience close at hand.  That is one of the more Aggravating kits I can think of.  I have built a couple in the past in stock form and griped, cussed, fumed and insulted that kit the entire build process.  Maybe since you are building a dirt stocker, it won't be such a chore.  Getting the top installed and to operate will make a guy crazy but you have that problem covered.  I think I only saw about two of these on the track through the years around here.  I have seen some photos of them in other places.  Good luck with this project, it should look pretty cool when you finish.

Thanks guys for the comments....yes, the dog did bark and growl a few times but that was about it...it did test my scratch building skills some....
PATIENCE...the one thing that I have learned over the past 10 years is indeed patience and building models will definitely teach that....the air was Blue more than once in the hobby room the past few days. I think the most difficult part of the build is now behind me.

Got all of the body pieces that I will be using on this build together...no major issues with alignment, fitment etc. due to the nature of it being this is all of the kit body that I will use....had this been the kit/street version being built, there would have been issues that would have reared their ugly heads later in the build.

Cut out a portion of the rear panel for the '57 Ford Galaxie trunk lid to fit....grafted the rest of the trunk lid area of the '57 Galaxie to the area where the '59's convertible lid would have been.

'57 Ford Galaxie trunk lid and surrounding body now on a '59 Ford Galaxie Skyliner convertible body.

AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY.........
The year is 1969...it's early January...there's a stock car being prepared to do battle on the local dirt tracks in an old garage. A wood burning stove takes some of the chill off, but its still some what cold inside...bearable.
The driver went to a race the summer before where all the big name drivers of the day competed. After the races he wandered the pits asking questions, taking pictures and notes...he knew he didn't have what it took to compete at this level, but there where a couple of dirt tracks back home...
Finding a car that would make for a decent race car was fairly easy these days in Topeka.....
Dirt track stock cars come into being several different ways...if you had the dough a decent used car could fit the bill....more often than not it was an old beater that some one was selling cheap just to get rid of it or some derelict heap from the salvage yard. Every once in a while the Police impound auction would have a burn out...a car that was torched...that the body and frame could be salvaged enough for a build. Some times Mother Nature provides us with stock car building material...cars that have been totaled in natural disasters...such is the case with this car.

June 8th 1966, a devastating, monster Tornado tore thru Topeka...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_1966_tor...tbreak_sequence
a once beautiful 1959 Ford Galaxie Skyliner was now a busted up heap. The car looked as if it had been sand blasted on two sides...all of the glass had been blown out and the interior was ripped and beat to shreds. Something very large and heavy had landed on the roof and trunk area, crushing the back portion of the roof into the top of the back seat and caving the convertible lid in almost to the trunk floor.
The car sat for almost 2 1/2 years....the "Y" block engine and Cruise-o-matic transmission were still serviceable and were pulled by some hot rodder some time after the storm.
The driver had been eyeing this car as it sat in a vacant lot next to Omer's gas station...finally he worked up the nerve to inquire about its status....figured if nothing else there might be some usable parts...the frame looked to be straight and who knows what else may still be good.
Omer had bought the salvage car thinking he would part it out making some money on the side. The driver and Omer agreed on a price... Omer remembered a '57 Ford Galaxie , another Tornado victim, that had a decent roof and trunk lid..that was about all..that could be had for next to nothing...it was tracked down and bought.
So the work began...the destroyed roof and convertible lid are removed from the '59...the roof and trunk area are cut out of the twisted remains of the '57. A trip to the scrap metal yard with the remains of the 2 cars made for a profitable day...the drivers wallet was fat...but not for long, an engine and transmission would need to be located and gone thru and readied before the racing season would begin.
Over the Fall and Winter , 2 totaled out Ford Galaxies will be combined to make 1 stock car.
The driver douses the fire in the stove and turns out the lights....progress was made today and that's good.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gosh Brian, your "Rest of the Story" nails "Joe Racer" from "Everywhere USA" right on the money and sure brought back memories. Right away I recalled trudging back to the shop through about a foot of snow with a wind that would cut steel. I was carrying a bucket of water from an old well for cooling red hot parts and using in the coffee maker. On my approach, I was looking at the shop with black smoke pouring out of the stove pipe, the sound of grinding and hammering on metal with the flash of an arc welder lighting up the window. I thought to myself that it just don't get any better than this. This is the most fun a guy could have. Today I ask myself "What the heck was I thinking?" I remind myself that being 26 years old at the time had a lot to do with it. I wouldn't do that again today for all the rights to rice in China but I can enjoy the memory. Thanks for that, it made me think and laugh a little.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I LOVE IT!!! I love the back stories! It makes these cars that much more real! I plan on adding my story.....but in due time. I'm working myself into a "fury" trying to get my rounder ready. Won't be long, though....I hear the stone rolling away...(that's a foreshadowing text...) badd
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Going to be some formidable competition for my '61 Impala. You sure have patience to build this thing. I have the Cadillac with the body pieces, it is scheduled for a parts car - those big old fins would look good on a late 50's early 60's custom.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....Thanks guys for your comments...much appreciated!

The kit engine provided enough of a foundation to build a plausible 427 F.E ...the Cruise-O-Matic transmission was removed and replaced w/ a Toploader 4-speed. Used the kit provided bell housing. I must say there is not a whole lot out there as far as what these Late Model engines looked like. Building a period and class correct engine has been some what of a challenge.
Scratch built Zoomie weed burner headers, added material to the oil pan to make it a deep sump, higher oil capacity oil pan. Removed the molded in distributer and scratch built a distributer and used floral wire painted Black for the plug wires. Removed the molded in oil filler stem and cap a scratch built a better looking oil filler stem and cap. Opened up the back half of the air cleaner cover to expose the air cleaner for more air flow to the carb.

Pro Tech PTMC 49 open element oil breathers from Teds Modeling Market Place. Resin cast Ford Toploader 4 speed trans, shifter levels scratch built from floral wire. Floral wire used for fuel line from the fuel pump to carb. Removed the molded in oil filter and scratch built a better looking one.

THE SAGA CONTINUES.............
The racer decided he needed a big, healthy mill if he is to be competitive...Those Chevy 396's and 440 Chrysler's that had not been around all that long had already proven themselves worthy of competition, whether it was the circle track or drags.
The local speed shop was rather busy this time of year...for it is this time of year, over the winter months, that everyone was needing machine work or parts for their competition engine, getting it ready for spring and summer.
The racer asked questions and determined that a Ford 427 F.E would fit the bill...he didn't need nor could he afford one of the top end Cobras, so a Mercury sedan that had ended up out at Henry's South 75 Hwy. Salvage provided a stock, wedge head 427 that would be re built into a racing engine. Henry's was the size of, at least, 20 Football fields, so finding much needed parts was rather easy.
The racer would be able to do some of the work himself on building the engine, the rest of the assembly work he turned over to the machinist at the speed shop. He delivered to them a long block assembly and ,in turn, they delivered him a balanced and blueprinted racing engine.
The racer knew that fancy,shiny parts did not equate to a winning car. Even though he spared no expense on getting the long block assembly built right, he kept the cost more in line in other areas. He had already bought some engine parts and pieces from the speed shop...a deep sump racing oil pan,racing style oil breathers and an Aluminum intake for the 427. His spending of his disposable income did not go unnoticed with the owner of the speed shop...the owner gave him a snazzy set of Chrome ,crinkle valve covers as a way of saying thanks.
The racer was pretty good with a welder and torch and with that making pretty much anything he needed for the car from metal. Instead of spending money on a Chrome air cleaner element he simply cut the back half out of the lower portion of the stock air cleaner element to allow more air to flow into the carb. While at the speed shop he noticed a set of Zoomies...they where made for a drag racing engine and were quite fancy and expensive for no more than what was there. After a trip to the local metal supplier a set of weed burners were constructed from some flat stock and tubing...they bolted right up to the block the first time...the racer stood back and admired his handy work....no, they were not the fancy Zoomies that he had seen the other day in the speed shop, but with these now in place the engine was complete and ready to fire.
Another trip back out to Henry's South Hwy. 75 salvage would score a 4 speed Toploader transmission. All the loose transmissions are kept in an old building ...might have been a large garage or a barn of some sort...no lights, only available light is what shines thru the broken windows or an open door. The last time the racer was out here he paid a visit to the transmission building, only to discover that you had better have a flash light handy if you are to find what you are looking for.
There is no order as far as how the transmissions are stock piled....some are complete while others have been cannibalized much to the enragement of Henry who would sell you a whole transmission even if you just need a tail shaft housing as an example...that's the way he was.
The racer spent quite awhile looking for Toploaders....found 4 or 5 and picked the best looking one...the gears seemed to mesh all right so he figured it was the one for him. The racer knew he could take this transmission apart, clean it up and inspect it and install new seals and have it bolted to the bell housing in relatively short order.
So here sits the fruit of his labors of the last couple of weeks sitting on his garage floor waiting to be sat between the frame rails and bolted in. More trips to the speed shop and Henry's are on his mind...what to do next?
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...Turns out the Zoomies that I thought would fit didn't....they more than likely would have if this was a small block Ford engine, but since this is a fat block , they ended up sitting on top of the frame.....the new solder Zoomie headers fit like they should.
Posted Image

THE ROAD TO RUIN IS LITTERED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS or HOW I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THE OLD MAN AT THE SPEED SHOP.
During the racers last visit to the speed shop there was an old man hanging around the parts counter. He struck up a conversation with the racer stating he had over heard him talking to the counter guy about the stock car. He went on to tell the racer back in his day about how a tuned flat head Ford would out run any "Y" block...he said something about running at the old Olympic Stadium in Kansas City....forgot what class he said....The racer figured he probably had forgot enough that any advise that he was handing out would be incorrect....besides flat heads and "Y" blocks where what these old timers where running years ago.
He told the racer that there would be no way that his home made headers would work...they just would not fit between the frame rails like they should....told the racer to take the car...at least the frame...to a muffler shop and have them bend him up a set. The racer told the old man thanks and went on about his business.
Later that night, the racer came to find out, that the old man was exactly right. The Zoomies rested on top of the frame. The Ford 427 is so wide that there is not as much room between the frame rails as he had thought.
The next day the racer returned to the speed shop and explained his dilemma....the parts counter guy pulled out a catalog and determined that what the racer needed was a set of Jardine headers....they where a short Zoomie style and bent in such a way as to clear everything. The counter guy showed the racer a picture and to the racer they looked as good or if not better than the Zoomies he had first admired a week ago.
Even though it was an expense that the racer was not counting on, the racer doled out enough cash for a down payment, balance due when they arrived at the speed shop in a week or two.
Now broke as a joke, the racer was thru buying parts for a while....he thought to himself how a sponsor could really help out now....no ideas on who to hit up, but on his mind none the less.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
With channeling the body, the stock radiator would no longer fit...it was now too tall. I did some research and discovered that a 1969 Lincoln Continental w/ the 460 big block had a cross flow radiator, as opposed to the '59 Galaxie's down flow which meant that the Lincolns radiator is shorter, but wider than the Galaxies....cut some more out of the radiator cowl and it fits perfect.
Found the 1:1 dimensions of the '69 Lincoln Continental big block radiator and scratch built one in 1:25.

Need to put the big Galaxie on a diet....cut all of the unnecessary wheel well and trunk floor pan out...this picture was taken about half way thru...ended up taking some more out of the spare tire well area so that the back portion of the quick change center section will have enough clearance. Found a Halibrand style quick change center section, that would have been used in that era, in my spare parts collection.
Since this car started out its life as a convertible, it has the "X" brace already in place to help stiffen the frame.

This is the cage out of an AMT/ERTL 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 kit. The cage, in its present configuration, does not fit this build. Even with channeling the '59 Galaxies body, the cage out of the '65 Galaxie is still too short...a very noticeable gap between the top of the cage and the bottom of the roof. I will be correcting the height issue with the cage as well as adding a front hoop,door bars, horizontal dash bar and additional diagonal bars to the rear portion of the main cage in keeping with the era of the build.

THE SAGA CONTINUES.....
The racer is learning as he goes along....measure it twice and cut it once he thinks...hey! that would make a great tag line for a lumber yard he says to him self. With the header issue now a thing of the past, the new Jardine headers that showed up last week at the speed shop, fit like a glove, he can move on to other things now. The stock cars that he saw in the pits at the big NASCAR race that he attended last Summer where channeled...lower center of gravity helped them to handle better...so the racer figures what works for them would work for him....besides he needs all the help he can get with the big Galaxie. He's got the body channeled...not like some of the bodies he has seen at the rod and custom shows, but more in line with what he saw in the pits last Summer..a few inches is all.
A new problem has reared its ugly head. The radiator, which survived the tornado with not so much as a scratch, is now too tall....the hood does not come down all the way like it should. The racer does not want to cut a hole in the hood for radiator clearance...he does not like the way it looks and thinks that it poses a safety issue with the possibility of scalding water coming back in his face.
Another expense that he was not counting on at this time...a trip to Noller Ford in Topeka would provide him with an answer.
The counter guy in the parts dept. was quite knowledgeable. He knew that the newer Ford, Lincolns and Mercury's had a newer design of radiator. The newer style of radiators where shorter so as to fit the newer style of shorter grills on the cars. From what he could determine, a new 1969 Lincoln Continental with a 460 big block should have what the racer is looking for. A short distance away at the Lincoln/Mercury dealership , the racer is trying to convince a sales man that he needs to see the engine before he would consider buying a new Lincoln....its kind of an odd scene as the racer does not appear as the type who would be able to afford a new '69 Lincoln and doesn't really give two hoots about its ride or driving comforts let alone that it has an 8 track and a radio that can pick up those new FM radio stations that Topeka does not have.
The racer finally gets to eye ball the radiator...looks like a fit to him...the sales man is as bewildered as he can be as his clientele has no desire to look under the hood , let alone learn how to open it.
Back to the parts counter at Noller Ford the racer goes...orders a new radiator for a 1969 Lincoln Continental with the 460 engine that he doesn't own. The parts counter guy finally gives in and asks what's the new radiator for? The racer does his best to explain the stock car being built....turns out the counter guy has been to some of the Friday night races across the street at the Shawnee County Fairgrounds on the big 1/2 mile dirt track....says the last time he went he had gotten some free tickets when the IMCA was in town last year.
On the way home he stops by and takes a look at a roll cage that a fellow racer is wanting to sell. It had been cut out of a stock car...decent looking cage,nothing bent or dented... no visible flaws in the welds...looks like it will work, if not, the racer will make it work. A sale is made and the fellow racer helps the racer load the newly acquired cage into the racers pick up.
Back to the garage...the racer is able to escape the social unrest and political turmoil of the day....seems that is all you hear about these days he thinks to him self....in his mind, he's got much bigger things to worry about. The racer drags the cage out of the back of the truck and sits it next to the garage. He spots the radiator out of the Galaxie sitting next to the bench....figures he might as well sell it to recoup some of his expense on the new radiator. The racer writes up a for sale note and heads off to the speed shop before it closes. The racer post the for sale add on the note board just like the fellow racer had done a couple of weeks prior wanting to sell the roll cage that the racer just bought an hour or so ago.
For the racer, progress seems slow, he's tired and hungry....suppers waiting in the kitchen and he's got to get to it.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Took the AMT/ERTL 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 kit cage and added height to the main four point cage also added front to rear length to the halo. Drilled thru the floor pan on the Left side and floor pan and frame on the Right side to set the right height of the main cage....I had to do it this way since the frames are of a different configuration between the '66 and '59. The way that the Left side of the cage is tied into the frame,as pictured,is also done in the 1:1 world to stay with in the "cage must be welded to the frame" rule. I had to shift the cage to the Left to make room for the seat and to keep the front tube from being in the way of the pedals. I will be adding more to the cage....front hoop, door bars, dash bar and diagonal bars to make it a six point roll cage....using the Holman/Moody cage that has been posted already as a guide.
Bucket seat from the spare parts box and the fuel tank is from the Revell '57 Ford Custom kit....added a "Black pipe and cap" to the tank to replace the stock filler neck.

Posted Image

THE SAGE CONTINUES......
The racer is satisfied with the progress he's made so far....the used cage that he bought from a fellow racer has been made to fit the Galaxies frame....it took some time and patience, but the racer was able to get it squared up and fit right. The roof of the '57 Galaxie was set on the cage for the first time....the height was right on the money and the roof was not askew. The racer will be able to run with the roof on or off, so to him, a proper fitment is a must, even if the roof is never put on.
The last round of unexpected expenses has tapped the racers budget, although some how he managed to scrape up enough dough to head out to Henry's South Hwy. 75 salvage to get a couple of needed pieces. A bucket seat was procured out of one car...didn't matter that it had seen its better days, shouldn't cost as much that way beside, it would be seeing a lot worse. The racer took measurements in the trunk area where the fuel tank would go. The original fuel tank would not have worked, besides it looked like it had been punctured by something in the Tornado. After searching for a while for a suitable tank, one was located under a '57 Ford Custom. The racer tracked down Moose, the yard worker with the old beater winch truck with a crane apparatus. The old truck lifted the back of the '57 up effortlessly and the fuel tank was removed. The racer figured that he could weld a piece of Black pipe to the tank as a filler and tap it for a cap, secure the tank with some metal straps and he would be good to go.....now to come up with some racing belts for his newly acquired bucket seat......more money that he is short on now.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes sir, that is starting to look like something from O'Hare Stadium in the 60's. Drop it on the ground really low and you are spot on! Whitey Gerken and Bob Urban would be proud of it.
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What you see pictured with the body on shows how much the body got lowered....the bottom of the rocker panels is even with the bottom of the frame....so in scale inches it got dropped 3 to 4 inches.....the engine is the kit provided stock engine and you can see how much higher it sits in the engine bay with the body lowered. I had to cut a hole in the hood for the air cleaner so that the hood sits flush.
On a side note I received my order of tires,wheels and wheelback/brake drums from Big Donkey resin last week...I am quite impressed...the parts that I ordered are spot on correct for the time period that the car is being built in.
I have not posted any pictures yet, but I finished the cage tonight....kind of a cross between what Another Rick posted,the Holman/Moody competition cage that I posted and the AMT/ERTL 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 kit cage that served as the base that the rest was built on to.....according to what I have researched, it is straight up late 60's

Last but certainly not least I want to say THANKS to you Lefturns75 as well as Chargincharlie6 and Another Rick for your input and advice that I have needed to get started and make it this far into this build wnw .z.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking good Brian, you are really capturing 60's era quite nicely.
Kevin

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Looking great, Brian! Man, another formidable competitor. Gonna be a tough year on the circuit!
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you guys for stopping by and your comments. .z. it's motivating.

Finished the cage...the drivers side door bars are only tacked in for visual purposes. I am kind of surprised on the lack of support behind the main cage, but my research tells me that's the way it was , for the most part, and the reference pictures that have already been posted substantiate that fact.
Another thought came to mind, mine at least. When I really started to take notice of the cars locally (mid-late 70's) I noticed that there were some Hobby Stocks (a.k.a Sportmans,Limited Late Models, etc etc.)and Street Stocks that looked different than their counterparts...kind of hard for me to explain...they seemed to be more "engineered"...allow me to explain.
If I where to take the car that I am building as a "Late Model" for the 1969 season and resurrect it in ,lets say 1978, sans quick change rear end,wide 5's and wide tires and the Aluminum intake and Zoomies on the engine and replace those items with a stock rear end, tires and wheels that would have been found on a street stock of that time and cast iron intake and exhaust on the engine, I would have a nice , well built Street stock.
So I guess, maybe, that by accident I stumbled across the possibility that some of the cars locally that were in the lower classes (Street Stock,Hobby Stock) were more than likely some of the old IMCA stock cars from the area or other Late Model type stock cars from the late 60's, early 70's.

This is a fuel tank that's not going anywhere in a crash. The fuel tank is from the Revell '57 Ford Custom kit....added a "Black pipe and cap" to the tank. Used Evergreen for the metal straps.

Could not quite find what I was looking for as far as the shoulder harnesses and lap belt goes....so I scratch built a set. Parts box bucket seat,resin cast foot pedals, Hurst style "T" shifter and fire extinguisher...after market Marine style battery box...battery cables via a computer mouse....cage padding same computer mouse cable.

THE SAGE CONTINUES.....
The racer almost has a roller,getting it there is the next part. The racer built what he considers to be a safe cage, as safe as he could make it anyway...if nothing else it has to be pretty stout if he ends up on his lid with the weight of the behemoth Galaxie sitting on top of it. The same line of thinking went into keeping the fuel tank in place...sure the large, thick metal strapping adds weight, some would say even over kill, but the last thing the racer wants is a loose fire bomb just a few feet off of his back side.
It seems that more and more of the racers disposable income is ending up at the speed shop....this time its a set of fancy drag racing safety belts and harnesses and a fire extinguisher to keep things safe and a Hurst "T" shifter to get things in gear.
The racer is starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel....hopefully its not a freight train...from this point forward all that is left is wheels, tires and suspension and hanging the body and what ever odd and end stuff that did not get done previously.
The days have been unseasonably warm for late February...hopefully that sticks around...another trip out to Henry's South Hwy. 75 salvage looks to be on tap.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian, your thoughts are exactly what happened here in 1972. The rules changed a bit and most of the late model stuff from the past 5 years did duty as Hobby Stockers. Late Models had to be no more than 10 years old, in body style and changed each year accordingly. There were a whole field of Hobby Stockers that had been dirt late models just a few short years before. Many were re-fitted with Nova and Fairlane bodies to up-grade a little but still had the center steering. We had a bunch of Tri-Five Chevys doing Hobby Stock Duty that had once been the Terrors of our dirt tracks. I doubt things were much different where you were. I saw many Dirt Track Champion Cars dropped to Hobby Stock, then to the Novice Class only to see them later as a heap in the salvage yards. Kind of a sad sight in a way.

You have the Ford looking right on the money for the era. I just hope I can get this Plymouth to look something like a race car---I should have picked a Ford If I was gonna change but its too late now. I will post up some pics when I get a little done. Just promise you won't laugh me out of the series!!!!!
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Boy, saying all the good things in the world doesn't do all of this justice, not just about the build Brian, but your historically correct story!!! fbr :))) I mean, there are as many stories out there as there were racers, but your's has some components of all of them. I'm going to print it off to give it a more thorough read in my reading room, if you get my drift! :lol: Like Lefty said, this is just what happened in the 60's and even early 70's in many places. A lot was trial and error and educated, logical guesses. The header story is a good example.
I think this is one of your finest builds, certainly one of the more complex given the body of the kit you chose, yet it will be a masterpiece and always be a conversation piece for you. Thank you for the compliments, but my contributions here are only of the most humble smallest kind. Lefty's comments as usual are right on the money. This is a great job. You've got most of the hard stuff done now, bring er on home! Can't wait to see more. rlr
Dave CharginC B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Brian, great frame build.Up in New York we (some) mounted gas tank closer to
that bar over rear end.But I see that your shooting to get lower center of
gravity! That Model will look like real car left out in rain and shrank!!
Will really be a master piece to be proud off. wnw

Stop setting the bar so high!!! ..//..

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Back in the day, '56-'59, NASCAR ran both convertible and sedan races. Sometimes both in the same race. Many teams used the same car in both divisions, using bolted on roofs. These cars were known as zipper tops. Here's Lee Petty with his '57 Olds. zipper top.

Posted Image

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That thought occurred to me to Wisdonm. Maybe a 61 Starliner top that could be lifted off, like they did for a very short time in Nascar in 62. We have almost no rules and certainly none that would preclude a removable top allowing for a convertible in one race and hardtop at another. :)))

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks everyone for the comments...encouraging!

Lefturns75,Feb 26 2017
07:46 PM
............. I doubt things were much different where you were.....

There was no difference from what I can tell between the Ozark region and this area (Topeka, Kansas City etc, etc) as far as dirt cars were concerned.....I cant speak for the asphalt cars from that region and the Kansas City (I-70 speedway)region during that era though.

Lefturns75,Feb 26 2017
07:46 PM
............. Just promise you won't laugh me out of the series!!!!!.....

nah, I respect you enough not to do that....besides, your cars have provided me with ideas on what I wanted to do with one of my builds, even though you haven't tried a Ford

Chargincharlie6,Feb 27 2017
03:01 PM
Boy, saying all the good things in the world doesn't do all of this justice, not just about the build Brian, but your historically correct story!!! fbr  :))) I mean, there are as many stories out there as there were racers, but your's has some components of all of them. I'm going to print it off to give it a more thorough read in my reading room, if you get my drift!

Your reading room isn't the bathroom is it?

The story or "The Saga Continues" is fact based fiction.....I am quite pleased to read that I am doing it right....just people,places and events that I have experienced in my life time combined with what's currently going on in the hobby room with the build...don't know if I will continue the story on after the car is built and race ready.....we will see

Probably should go back and proof read for errors in grammar now.

Chargincharlie6,Feb 27 2017
03:01 PM
Like Lefty said, this is just what happened in the 60's and even early 70's in many places.  A lot was trial and error and educated, logical guesses.  The header story is a good example.
I think this is one of your finest builds, certainly one of the more complex given the body of the kit you chose, yet it will be a masterpiece and always be a conversation piece for you.  Thank you for the compliments, but my contributions here are only of the most humble smallest kind.  Lefty's comments as usual are right on the money.  This is a great job. You've got most of the hard stuff done now, bring er on home! Can't wait to see more. rlr
Dave CharginC B.

Thank you for the compliments, sure is good to read...I feel with this build that I have indeed started to do a better job at building...a new chapter perhaps? There are still areas that I need to improve in...I have learned some with this build , not necessarily the build itself, but rather this era of dirt stock cars. Since there just is not a whole lot out there, information wise,research was important.

Hopefully, if nothing else, the car can be used as reference material for this genre of build by some one else.

Lefty has been a huge help...it goes without saying...I have picked his brain on two or three builds....his "been there and done that" experience with stock cars is an asset to this site.

dirttrackdave,Feb 28 2017
11:20 AM
Brian, great frame build.Up in New York we (some) mounted gas tank closer to that bar over rear end.But I see that your shooting to get lower center of gravity!  That Model will look like real car left out in rain and shrank!!
   Will really be a master piece to be proud off. wnw .

I was at the mercy of the trunk floor...its still there under the fuel tank....I cant go much farther forward as the car will be running a quick change rear end and I need a safe gap between the back of the quick change and the fuel tank.

dirttrackdave,Feb 28 2017
11:20 AM
  Stop setting the bar so high!!! ..//.. .
I don't know about the bar height...just trying to keep it low enough to hurdle over and high enough to limbo under.......thank you for your compliments!

wisdonm,Feb 28 2017
11:45 AM
Back in the day, '56-'59, NASCAR ran both convertible and sedan races. Sometimes both in the same race. Many teams used the same car in both divisions, using bolted on roofs. These cars were known as zipper tops. Here's Lee Petty with his '57 Olds. zipper top.

Posted Image

Chargincharlie6,Feb 28 2017
04:28 PM
That thought occurred to me to Wisdonm.  Maybe a 61 Starliner top that could be lifted off, like they did for a very short time in Nascar in 62.  We have almost no rules and certainly none that would preclude a removable top allowing for a convertible in one race and hardtop at another. :)))

Dave B.

I plan on entering it with the roof on and as a convertible ...like what wisdonm posted above with the Lee Petty '57 Olds.......
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Finished up the rear....
Posted Image
Big Donkey Resin wheels, tires and #WB-1 wheel back & brake drums. Removed the center section from the kit rear end replaced it with a period correct Halibrand quick change from the parts box. Shocks from the spare parts box....staggered as described in another thread. Used 22 gauge floral wire for the fuel line from the tank.
Thanks to Lefturns75 for the advise on how the quick change rear ends and shocks where done back then...I think it really makes a difference with this build.

Posted Image

Big Donkey Resin DT-1 dirt tire and # BH wide 5 wheel....this is a big tire which looks great with such a big car....scale size is 33.02" tall X 18.99" width...I am running just under 3" stagger across the rear.

Posted Image

Big Donkey Resin DT-2 M&H Racemaster dirt tire and # BH wide 5 wheel....although not as big as the one sitting across from it ,this one looks great as well. Scale size is 30.16" tall X 15.75" wide

THE SAGE CONTINUES.......
Things are starting to look up for the racer. He started getting his gas at Omers Super Service gas station soon after buying the car off of him....Omer always asks how's he coming along with the car and the racer keeps him posted on progress made. One day the racer had mentioned in passing how he was buying more parts and doing less fab work on the car and it was starting to be a drain on his pocket book...Omer said he thinks he can do something about that situation. Omer said that business for him had picked up the last couple of years for him since the other gas station, down the block, was destroyed in the Tornado and never rebuilt. The neighborhood has seen large apartment complexes built where single family homes once stood to accommodate students attending near by Washburn University which means more customers needing fuel and service work done on their cars. Omer would talk to his jobber and see about getting things like tires, oil and etc. that the racer would need.

The racer wants to run the big 1/2 mile dirt track at the Mid America Fair Grounds on Friday nights and Shawnee Speedway, a 1/4 mile bull ring on Sunday Nights...both tracks being in the Topeka area. Instead of the hassle of changing out rear ends depending on the track, the racer decided to go with a Halibrand quick change rear end like was suggested too him.

The speed shop happened to have what he was looking for in stock...he would still have to find a Timken rear end some where for the axles...if Henry's South 75 salvage yard doesn't have one, no one will.

Larry Rudloff works for Henry's ...he is the guy behind the counter who would direct you to where ever in the yard you needed to go to find what ever it was you where looking for. The man probably knew every vehicle in the massive yard and where it could be found...he is that good.

The racer went in and told Larry that he needed a Timken Banjo rear end. With out hesitation, Larry said that " The Willy's pickups are right down there" pointing off to the general direction where they would be located..."go down the lane till you see the Nash's and Kaiser's...go towards the back and you will run into them". The racer was lucky enough to find what he was looking for, Moose, the yard man, was summoned and the Timken rear end was hauled out of the yard.

Back home the racer started to disassemble the Timken rear axle...all he needed was the axle tubes...he figured he would sell the center section for some much needed cash. The original rear end out of the Galaxie would still need pulled and it too could be sold.

The racer sits back and collects his thoughts for the moment....the car is almost a roller, got a sponsor.....glancing at the calendar IT'S MID MARCH AND I STILL HAVE A LOT TO DO,I NEED TO KEEP BUSY WITH THE CAR OR I WILL MISS OPENING DAY AT THE FAIR GROUNDS IN MAY
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
FINS ARE IN
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS DIRT · Next Topic »
Add Reply