Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Petty seat
Topic Started: Oct 10 2016, 10:20 AM (630 Views)
Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hey guys, I'm back. Had to take care of some other things, and now I'm focusing again on trying to get back into building. I have my eye on the Hendrix Resins 1960 Plymouth that I want to transform into a Petty Enterprises car, possibly the Jim Paschal #44, with a slight "twist". My question is kind of moot, because I always seem to focus on the benign, minute details rather than the massive ones. But, as such, does anyone know or would venture a guess as what type of seat was used in the 1960 Plymouth? I have pics in my collection, and saw an article on another modeling site (and I remember an article I had from an old Circle Track magazine) that one of Petty's Plymouths was restored, and it shows a bucket seat with added braces on the right side. However, the crux of that article was about the authenticity of the restoration, and one question was about the seat, since bench seats were the norm. I have another photo of Lee's 1961 Plymouth(the one he rode out of Daytona in) that shows the 1961 cars had bench seats with the right side backing taken off. So, does anyone know? Bucket or bench?
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
From that era I am going to guess bench with the right side back missing. After all, those were truly "stock" cars.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, I kinda have to agree with AR, its just a guess. I have seen photos of Richards 60 from that time at different tracks and he used a bucket. I have seen others cars from then with the bench with the passenger side back removed. I would guess it was which ever the driver liked the best. I read an article some time back where a driver talked about those seats. They didn't like them because at tracks like Daytona, you were sliding around and always trying to stay in place even with extra padding. I think it was Richard Petty talking about this but I just can't remember for sure or where I read the article. Flip a coin, I think you would be right either way. I have seen interior shots of Fireball's 60 Pontiac and it had a bucket, The H/M Fords with a bucket. Other 60 and 61 fords with a bench. Good luck with this build and show us some pictures when you get started.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks guys. I was assuming the bench seat, but like Lefty said, I, too, saw the picture of Fireball's 1960 Pontiac with the bucket seat. Well, it is what it is, like I said, my model will have a slight "twist" anyways. I'll get more into it when the build begins. I'll be sure to post when construction starts. Hopefully, it'll be soon!
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...I would say in a situation like this, either way would be "period correct" ....I too, have seen have seen both styles used during this era with the NASCAR stock cars.....guess it was driver preference at that time.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
According to my sources of the restored Petty 1960 #43, the seat was a bench with the back removed on the passenger side, and the back only on the driver side.
Hope that helps.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

« Previous Topic · NASCAR · Next Topic »
Add Reply