Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'32 Ford Highboy Roadster; 1947 dry lakes style
Topic Started: Sep 8 2016, 06:08 PM (559 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
’32 Ford Roadster stripped down for dry-lakes racing, circa 1947

The year is 1947 and Southern California’s hot rodders are home from the war. For the first time in a generation there’s optimism in the air. The world is digging itself out of depression and battle and in SoCal there’s plenty of work. Many rodders put their “gow jobs” in mothballs for the duration of WWII and now, between demobilization money and the post-war boom, there’s spare change at last to finish the work they started before they shipped out.

Our subject is a classic Deuce Roadster started in 1938 and raced at Muroc before its owner enlisted in the Navy in 1941. Like many rodders his abilities in the garage got him assigned to the motor pool as a mechanic where he honed his skills under the pressure of battle. Discharged in ’46, the first thing on his agenda was getting his roadster back in action. Once he got it rolling some decent speeds at the lakes the previous September earned him the number 32 for the 1947 season. Now it’s time to start bolting on some of that nice new postwar speed equipment that seems to be popping up everywhere. This job already has a set of Edelbrock heads and word is that there’s some hot triple-carb manifolds due out any day now. Our intrepid rodder can’t wait, but for now has to make-do with the dual setup from pre-war days. The Kelsey Hayes wire wheels and the high-bolster upholstery, along with the stock shock absorbers and the Columbia 2-speed rear axle are also decidedly pre-war items. On the shopping list with future paychecks will be some steel rims, aircraft shocks and maybe a nice custom aluminum louvered hood if he can swing it.

The model was made virtually entirely from spare parts. The base kit would have been any of the Revell ’32 Ford kits, and the roadster kit in particular contributed the main body shell and the basic interior, but from then on it was all kit-bashing and fabrication to create a period correct Deuce as would be seen in 1947 at the dry lakes.

Here are the details:
From Revell ’32 Ford Roadster kit: Main body, grill shell, and basic chassis. Interior with high seat bolster fabricated from styrene and dashboard modified to correct period style. Windshield mounting stanchions cut down from kit windshield. Headlight brackets with tubular shocks removed.
From Revell ’32 Ford Sedan kit: Kelsey Hayes style wheels, narrowed to fit period correct tires. Stock hood sides. Tear-drop tailights.
From Revell ’29 Ford Roadster Pickup kit: Front suspension, including split wishbones, rear crossmember and buggy spring.
From Revell ’40 Ford kits: Flathead Ford V8, headers, Edelbrock heads, vane-type “friction” shock absorbers, brakes, ‘beehive” oil filter, voltage regulator, brake master cylinder and Columbia 2-speed rear axle.
From AMT ’34 Ford 5-window kits: Pre-war style dual carburetor manifold, including carbs and air cleaners.
From Monogram ’37 Ford pickup/delivery van kits: Steering wheel, steering box and rear suspension wishbones (shortened to fit ’32 Ford chassis).
Aftermarket, miscellaneous, and scratch built parts: AMT front tires. Truck style oversized rear tires courtesy of Herb Deeks. Stock style firewall and main hood, and flathead compatible radiator courtesy of Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland. Photo-etch taillight surrounds and hood latches and handles courtesy of Model Car Garage. Scratch built fuel block and seat bolster.
Paints and finishes: Miscellaneous Testors Acryl colors, Testor Acryl Leather used to creat leather upholstery. Main body color is Tamiya TS-11 Maroon over red oxide primer. Miscellaneous suspension, chassis surfaces and engine parts, finished in varying shades of Testors Metalizer. Home-made “shoe polish number” decals.[/p][p]
Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernard I have enjoyed the heck out of watching this build. To me, this is exactly what a gear head would have had during that time period. Mutli-use type rod, daily driver, street racer, lakes racer and maybe avoiding the Heat when spotted laying a patch. I would love to see you do a series of 32's as an evolution of this car, as it was changed by its owner from 1947 to 1955 to 1965. I love this project, you nailed it spot on!
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
These are my favorite type of builds Bernard, taking spare parts and using your imagination and memories to make a classic from the good old days. The weathering looks so realistic, and the longer I look at the photos the more little details my eye can pick out. And of course the seat bolster
turned out perfect.
Thanks for sharing this journey with us, it was so enjoyable!

brvo
Kevin

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Bernard, great build love the detail in it .O yer what kit are the rear tyres from would make great tyres for Jalopy builds ,Keep em comin .Paul.... fbr
"JALOPY HEAVEN"
FLATHEADS & INLINERS FOREVER.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The tires are from Herb Deeks. You're right, they are perfect period bias ply "bigs". Here a link to them from his eBay listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-1-35-1-24-NEW...SrpW6yvnvNij-TQ

----

Thanks everyone. I'm delighted that it could make the connection!

Frankly I'm relieved it actually finished up as well as it did. The paint issues means I have still to build a proper street version of this period. If you've ever had the pleasure to see cars from this era in the 1:1 you will be struck by the extraordinary craftsmanship that went into them. The grainy b&w pictures of the era give them a character that disguises this aspect of them If you ever have the chance, visit the NHRA Museum in Pomona, California and you'll see what I mean.

Speaking of grainy b&w, here's a couple of shots of the model in that style:

Posted Image
Posted Image

26speedster,Sep 9 2016
11:35 AM
...what kit are the rear tyres from would make great tyres for Jalopy builds...
Keep on buildin'

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
thanks Bernard for the link orderd some cant wait get them ,tyres are one thing i find hard to get period correct looking, thanks again paul... :)))
"JALOPY HEAVEN"

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
26speedster,Sep 10 2016
12:14 PM
thanks Bernard for the link orderd some cant wait get them ,tyres are one thing i find hard to get period correct looking, thanks again paul... :)))

They're a little oversized for AMT style 1/25th wheels, and even for Revell 1/25th. I suspect they're 1/24th 16" or even 17" with respect to their inside diameter, so be prepared to use oversized wheels and even shim them with plastic strip. I used those 1/25th Revell wires and landed up shimming the wheel o.d. with one layer of .020 styrene strip. Even then I glued them to the tires with epoxy as a minor gap filler. But they look perfect for this type of application.
Keep on buildin'

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice work Bernard, she looks ready for the TROG! maddr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Most Resin Rims are over size ,Will running 37 truck rims should sort that issue!! :unsure:
"JALOPY HEAVEN"

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
26speedster,Sep 10 2016
04:25 PM
Most Resin Rims are over size ,Will running 37 truck rims should sort that issue!! :unsure:

Maybe. Some of the tires I got from The Parts Box were oversized and I had good look with most Monogram 1/24th wheels fitting, including the '37 trucks (pickup and delivery) and the ex-Little Deuce '32 Ford Roadster.
Keep on buildin'

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Awesome Bernard!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Very nicely done! :)))

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks to you both. Glad you all dig it!
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Broken Photobucket links repaired. For now I'm only updating completed model pics. Updating w.i.p. links is just too huge a task! I'll update them on request...
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · SALT FLAT CARS & LSR · Next Topic »
Add Reply