Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'79 Mustang Winged Dirt Late Model; Wing Fling entry
Topic Started: Sep 4 2016, 09:08 PM (787 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is going to be a devolution evolution..at least in theory anyways...The car (with no wing) was built 6 years ago, the 2nd Dirt Late Model that I had scratch built. Since then, the car has been cannibalized some what for other builds since I never was completely satisfied with the finished piece. I will re-work it to look like it once did along with some refinements under the body. I have included a few pictures of what I started with originally 6 years ago as a starting point for this re-build.

Posted Image
Mid 80's Mustang Coupe resin body from some forgotten caster...o.k piece.. needed some work in the "C" pillar area to make it more accurate as I recall. Roof looked like it had been thru a grape fruit size hail storm....filled the areas in with Bondo.

Posted Image
Used a derelict 80's Monogram NASCAR Ford frame....made a cut (some what visible in the picture)just ahead of where it goes up and over the rear axle since the wheel base was shorten to 108" (1:1) scale.

Posted Image
Back dated this mid 80's Mustang Coupe to a '79 model year by making a resin cast of the grill/nose piece of a Monogram '79 Mustang Indy Pace car that I have. Extended the front of the hood and nose to accommodate the longer wheelbase. Added wheel flares made from prescription medicine bottles to keep the tires "somewhat" inside the body per local rules of the late 70's.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is quite a transformation Brian, those big wheel flares make it look really racey rlr
Kevin

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Never thought I'd like late mods and wing,but that is going to be one sharp looking car. Wow I just learned great idea for flares,good thinking brian.

:))) B)

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.. .z.

Posted Image
This is what the car looked like 6 yr's ago when it was finished...it will appear the same, again, this time only thing is that I have learned to do my own decals, so it won't be so bare looking this time around and it will be fitted w/ a Monogram Sprint Car wing.

The car was wrought with issues from the get go when built 6 yr's ago... one of the areas was the frame. I have learned a lot since then and this time it's being done right. Going to do away with the sway bar and re-work the spindles...the half round thing on the front of the spindle is going to be removed and replaced with a more accurate piece. Going to clean up the side frame rails and make it less NASCAR looking..the Right side frame rail was about 1 to 2mm shorter than the Left which messed everything up, so that issue will be taken cared of. Will replace the rear frame section with a Howe leaf spring rear frame section since the original rear frame section was off due to the frame rail being off.

The main cage is too wide (by 6.30 mm.)...again a lot learned since this was originally built. Going to narrow it to the correct width verses building a whole new main cage.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another one of those "Why didn't I do this sooner" things......
These are the Right and Left rear frame sections...instead of making these every time I need them , I am going to use these as a master and start resin casting these.
The original rear frame section was a hodge podge affair of a NASCAR rear frame and something,that I guess,thought would work and turn out alright....needless to say it left a lot to be desired....so bad it was that there is nothing usable.
These rear frame rail sections are the venerable Howe leaf spring type of the late 70's
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....The holiday season is upon us..yea!
Even though the Wing Fling has been sidelined while dirttrackdave recuperates from the medical procedures that involve his eyes, I have been working on the Mustang at a more leisurely pace....if things come together and the planets align there wont be any 11th hour thrashing going on to beat a deadline.

Narrowed the main cage...reused as much of the evergreen rod as possible as all that was needed was to trim to fit. Added some height to the 4 points of the main cage for a better fitment to the roof..in doing that a 4th door bar was added on each side at the bottom.
In this picture you can see some of the templates that will be used for the interior pieces...typical diagonal slope from just Right of the seat up to the top of the Right side door...seen this done in the Howe cars of the era (late 70's)and I like it.
Re-worked the NASCAR frame to make it less NASCARish...rounded the front portion of the side frame rails. Rear frame stub is a Howe dirt copy of resin and Evergreen for the cross member. Rear frame stub is offset where it is tied in with the main frame side rails.

A trip to the body shop is in order...
First I removed the spoiler and its side pieces that where below the front bumper...I don't know what I was thinking at the time when I first built this body...it was built originally as a '79 Mustang dirt Late Model and the dirt Late Models around here at the time didn't start showing up with front spoilers like that until '81 from what I can tell from all of the pictures that I have poured over.
I re-worked the wheel well openings and flairs on the Left side...I have a 1:25 108" wheelbase template that I use now to help insure that everything is on square. First, I filled in the wheel wells with 1 mm. Evergreen styrene sheet. I then sanded off the old flairs and recut the wheel well openings. Used a plastic medicine bottle to get the raised section over the fender line and a strip of Evergreen for the flair on the fender. Used a plastic medicine bottle for the quarter panel. Used filler to get everything smooth and even. Will be doing the same process on the Right side.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, that's some intense fab work you are doing Brian. It's coming along nicely, keep it up! :)))
Kevin

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking good Brian!!!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
.z. Kevin and Kerry,thanks for stopping by and taking a look....

The old hood had some alignment issues....I noticed as I got deeper into the body work ahead of the front wheel flairs that the hood was getting more and more out of alignment while every thing else was getting squared and true. I could not see anyway to make the old hood work and look right.
I took a clear plastic deli container lid and used it for the new hood. Used Evergreen solid Rectangle stock for the 2.5mm (2 1/2" 1:1)raised over the fender line flare...sanded them down to match the contour of the wheel flairs....grounded out the bottom side for wheel clearance.
4 mm. (4" 1:1) raised hood scoop.....a small bit of filler for the low spots and some sanding and this hood will be ready for primer.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH I realized last night why some parts of the body seemed off.....the body is 1:24 give or take....I would not have knowingly purchased a 1:24 as I don't build in 1:24.
Caveat emptor (buyer beware) I got 4 or 5 of the Mustang Coupe bodies off of fee-bay 6 years ago for a great price as being listed 1:25....one of the reasons now why I buy from reputable dealers who products receive great reviews.
What started all of this is that I wanted to clean the nose up a little bit after the removal of the lower spoiler. I was using the nose piece off of an un built Revell 1:25 Mustang for reference. I just happened to have the stock car body setting next to the Revell body and noticed a stark difference in size.
I know the Revell body to be accurate dimension wise as the conversion from 1:1 to 1:25 is well with in tolerance.

The difference between the flat sided stock car verses the "street" version height wise should not be that much. The width of the body from the front wheel wells back to the rear quarter panels is too wide as well, needless to say. Kind of hard to see in these pictures, but the roof is out of proportion as well...I have a 1:24 Mustang of this era and the two roofs do not match size wise....I take my measurements with a digital caliper , so the chances of being off are slim to none.
Since I redid the wheelbase to 108 mm. 1:25 (108" 1:1) by extending the front fenders the over all length is where it's supposed to be.
I love a good challenge and this has turned out to be no exception....I knew going into this that there where some areas that would need re worked, but nothing like this....SO...Posted Image
Will be using the 1:25 Revell Mustang body as reference....
By narrowing the roof to the correct width will also draw the body in as well...the width of the body will be set before the roof gets re worked anyway.
I have reason to suspect the height of the window openings to be off as well...the length of the roof from front to rear will need shortened as well.
The area between the wheel well openings will need to be shortened height wise a small bit. The rear quarter panels will more than likely need some attention as well.
Fortunately, I haven't done much to the cage and chassis as the cage will, yet again, need to be narrowed and now shortened height wise after having height added to it for better fitment to the inside roof previously.
mm1
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like it is coming along well, don't notice any of the scaling problems in the photos! :))) I also love the rolla Christmas poster!!!!! B)

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Dave, The pictures didn't demonstrate the whole issue....I have to admit, the pictures made it look a whole lot better than it does in person sitting on the work table. With the exception of narrowing,shortening and lowering the roof to 1:25 everything thing else on the main body has been scaled to 1:25. I will still have to scale the rear deck lid, which will be done in the same fashion as the roof.
Glued some Evergreen solid square stock in place to hold the main body at the proper width while the roof is removed and scaled. As with the original, it will also be slab sided.
Once the roof is re-attached, I will then remove the Evergreen solid square stock and replace it with small smaller size solid stock...one will be part of the engine fire wall, one will be part of the filler panel that is between the rear window and rear deck lid and one will be at the rear most quarter panel/trunk area.

To get the roof scaled to 1:25, I will remove a couple of mm. from the front and also some from the center section of the roof. The roof pillars will need cut a small bit to get them down to stock height.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You are quite the surgeon Brian, I'm sure you will shaped up the way you want it! :)))
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....success... Posted Image
Took a few hours of hacking and whacking to get everything scaled. I still need to get the upper half of the main cage fit up to the inside of the roof since the roof got narrowed and slightly lowered.

This picture really demonstrates the difference width wise between 1:24 and 1:25 ..the Mustang Coupe body on the Right is a 1:24 and the one on the Left is a 1:25 . The 1:25 body on the Left has the lower half of the body area between the wheel wells flat sided to accommodate the cage and chassis.

The rear deck lid was perhaps the most difficult portion of the body to get rescaled. I needed to keep the contour/shape intact as well as reduce its over all size. After the width of the body had been established,two cuts where made from the front (top of the pic.) to the rear to the deck lid. The 3 pieces where then filed by hand til they all three together where the correct over all width and then glued together. A final cut was made across the deck lid and the two halves where filed until the correct length was established. The overall contour/shape needed a small bit of filing to bring it into correct scale.

This picture is a little bit deceiving since 9 mm. was added to the front of the body, on the Left, in front of the engine fire wall to accommodate the wheelbase being increased to 108" 1:1 (or 108mm 1:25) ...it does show, how ever, the difference in scale between the 2 bodies the in roof and rear deck lid areas.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS DIRT · Next Topic »
Add Reply