Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Old Merc, Old Build….Really.
Topic Started: Jun 22 2016, 08:38 PM (473 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Been kind of boring around here lately so here is something to bore you even more. 1964 Mercury Marauder Stocker. This is a very old build…..finished sometime in the late 1970's. I posted this on another forum a year or more ago and thought I might let it be seen here too. This car was in a box for almost 30 years. Parts are missing and it no longer has an engine. Where it went I have no idea. I think, sometime around 1975 or 76 I had an article in a Rod and Custom mag from 1963 by the great modeler Don Emmons in which he had four pages of how he built the 1963 Mercury stocker. A friend gave me an old built up of a 64 so I made this a all out project. I read and re read Don's article and studied the photos until I knew them well. I built this one just like he built the 63, only mine never looked as good as his.
Posted Image
The "Chrome" down the side is done with some chrome tape I found at a K-Mart auto center. Now BMF was not around yet and this stuff is a little thicker but I put it on much like you do BMF today. The paint was Pactra as that is all that was available to me then. As Don, I used the old rubber darlington special tires that were on the AMT Turnpike cars. In the article Don provided scale artwork of the numbers and mercury head. The head was done on some kind of foil on a Christmas decoration I peeled off and painted the details in black. I sprayed a kit decal sheet white, traced the numbers on it and cut them out. The Mercury on the rear is dry transfer letters I found---of all places-----in my college book store. The interior is made from the cardboard of a cigarette carton, the roll cage is some old plastic pick-up-sticks I had since I was about 7. I used or did everything Don did in his article, but not as well! In those days, aftermarket decals were unheard of. I have thought about re-doing this one since the decals are now available but I think I will leave this un-touched and just do another one, put them together and compare and see how my skills have changed. I only have about three kits still around I built in my youth. Its not much to look at but it was a real chore to complete this one back then. With the stuff available today, we as modelers have it made.
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Beautiful old Grand National. Those were the days when you could go down to the local wrecking yard buy some body parts, put it together around a r oll cage, build an engine in your two-car garage and go racing. Of course Bud Moore had a bit better facility and factory backing. I still need to find one of these and try to build it into a Grand National.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
......That Merc. looks absolutely great and the scratch building is top notch......the scratch building material and technique have with stood the ages quite well. :))) wnw
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is a classic build in so many ways. A perfect example of a vintage Grand National race car and modeling techniques from the old days. I'm so glad you decided to keep it in its original condition, it looks so cool. Thanks for sharing.
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Super sharp build :))) :))) With the summer here i for one am super busy as the kiddo only gets 8 weeks off from school and im trying to prepare to get ready to teach... r:r yep teach Graphic arts at our high school next school year.....I must be some kind of crazy :P
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Glad you guys liked this old relic. Once I got it out of its box and looked it over along with photos of the 1:1---which you can find all over the net, unlike 40 years ago---I found I have a lot of mistakes in this build. First, the chrome strip I fretted and fumed over down the side was not on the real car. Second, the #15 had blue headlight covers that match the wheels. The #16 team car had red covers and red wheels. There was also red in the inset around the grill. I did remember there was a Bill Stroppe Race Cars logo on the rear quarters but I never did figure out back then how to duplicate that.

Yes, I plan to leave this old build as is. Now my decision is do I hack up a perfect AMT 63 merc and do another, do I scrounge up a donor body and mate it to a AMT 60 Starliner for better chassis detail, Do I go for a "Today" build like Don Emmons did in 1963? Or do I attempt a full detail build with aftermarket parts and parts from about half dozen kits? Not sure my stiff fingers and crappy eyesight will be able to do any of those. Just for grins, what choice would some of you make?
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well I think if it were me I would try to do a detailed version. With the aftermarket products available today you could add as much detail as you wanted, it would be fun to see how a new build of the same subject would turn out all these years later.
I think a lot of the builds I do lately are "reboots" of things I tried when I was a kid. Now with improved skills and better products things seem to turn out better the second time around.
But I still wish I'd have saved more of my old models, garsh darn it.
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr fbr fbr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
.....me personally if given the choice in regards to a '63 Merc. build, I definitely would use the '60 Ford Cow belly frame and related parts...the detail is great! Sourcing a '63 Merc. kit or body I think should not be too much of an issue.....of course aftermarket goodies and some scratch building would be the order of the day.

BTW been using your Nova build that you posted a year or so ago for reference on a 2 point rear end that I am scratching for a current build....thanks for posting :)))
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian, I have a couple of '60 kits for parts and a mint '63 Merc AMT kit for more. I have not got the frame and stuff out and tried to see how it fits up with the 63 yet but I think it could all be done-----at least in my bone head. It will take some work but thank goodness there is not much to one of those '63 stockers compared to the newer stuff. When you look at those cars today, its hard to believe those guys pushed em to around 170 at Daytona back in the day. Sure would be interesting to see one of the hot shots of today from nascar do 500 miles in one of those. There just aren't any drivers today like Parnelli, A J, Pearson, Sachs, Ward, Andretti and others. 75% Driver, 25% car. Now its just the opposite. When that little weasel Kyle wins Le mans, Daytona 24hrs, a dirt champ car championship, and wins some F1, I MIGHT call him a driver. Wish A J could back hand him like he did Luyendyk. That made my decade! Go Super Tex!
Richard Nixon

« Previous Topic · NASCAR · Next Topic »
Add Reply