Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Johnny Kerns #17, Model Presented to the car owner
Topic Started: Apr 7 2016, 06:53 PM (984 Views)
Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
This CAE super modified was built and owned by Johnny Kerns from Millerstown, Pa. and driven by Spunk Wilson from Thompsontown, Pa. This car raced at Port Royal speedway. Spunk finished second in points during the 1968 season. By 1968 many of the cars racing were converted sprint cars.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bob
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
She's a beauty, you captured the look of the 1:1 car perfectly. brvo
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
You nailed it big time! Great job. How about a few details on the build?

Skeeter

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
skeeter,Apr 11 2016
07:33 PM
You nailed it big time! Great job. How about a few details on the build?

Skeeter

Here, here! Gorgeous work. We'd love to know more about how you did it.
Keep on buildin'

Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
This was built using a Don Edmonds kit. These have a real nice engine and drive line, but need some modifications to accomplish these builds.
The frame needs to be lengthened between the front and rear roll cage and from the firewall to the front bumper. I use aluminum tubing to lengthen the frame.

You can see the round tubing on this photo.
I use the rear roll cage from the kit but I put a spacer on the bottom to raise the cage about 2.5MM. I use the fire wall or motor plate from the kit but cut off the roll cage even with the top of the firewall. The front roll bar is then glued to the outside of the existing roll bar on the side of the firewall. I use plastic coated wire for this front roll cage.

The wing is made from Aluminum flashing.

Posted Image

I used the bottom part of the Edmonds body for the sides and rear of the body. I used automotive body filler to reshape the rear to the way it is on the finished car. The hood also had to be lengthened.

Posted Image

Bob

Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Johnny Kerns came to my home several months ago and I was able to give him this replica build of the number 17. Johnny built the car and was the owner. the car was driven by Spunk Wilson.

Johnny was very pleased to have this replica build.

Posted Image

Bob

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Bob,

Congratulations on giving the model to the car builder & owner. You will probably never know how much he cherishes it. I get great satisfaction in giving models that I have built to drivers or car owners.

Also, thanks for the details on how you modified the frame and body panels.

Take care,
Skeeter

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr fbr love it great build...
"JALOPY HEAVEN"
FLATHEADS & INLINERS FOREVER.

« Previous Topic · SUPER MODIFIEDS & MODIFIEDS · Next Topic »