Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1/8 scale Smokey Yunick Indy Car; Scratch Built Car
Topic Started: Apr 7 2016, 03:39 PM (918 Views)
Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have started this very unique Indy car build. My neighbor was a friend of Smokey Yunick and asked me to build his car he took to Indy in the early 60s. Tons of research later I have it all drawn out and started building it. The frame is boxed tubing. I cut the shapes out, make two of them and glue a spacer in between the two. Then wrap it inside and out with .020 styrene. The Offy is, like everything, scratch built.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old, this is just too cool and fantastic to be true!!!! I love this project and I simply sit and drool at your work. I never had the chance to meet old Smokey but boy would I have loved too!!! I would have gladly sat at his feet for hours just to hear him speak. A true master and genius. I will be watching this build. I would comment more but I just can't find words worthy to use. You sir, are a master in your own right.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Absolutely fantastic work on these 1/8th scale builds. This one is going to be outstanding. jsm jsm jsm

Bob

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Amazing, can't wait to see more! rlr
Kevin

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
rrr Going to be another beautiful build from the master. I'll bet that "sidecar" design had some of the Indy purist spinning in circles. Of course Smokey always had something up his sleeve besides his arm.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Outstanding fab work!
The Model Car Man Ricky

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you guys. I am one lucky model builder to get to build all these cool different cars for great people who pay me to do it. This started as a hobby [and still is] almost 6 years ago when I retired. Up until then I really had not built many models other than a few airplanes and a slot car or two when I was a kid so it is a thrill for me. This car is so unique and the research on it has been fun reading Smokey's books. He writes like he talked, very colorful and after 43 years in construction I talk that way too. He did throw the tech inspectors a curve at Indy with this racer. They fought it the whole way. The Tempest drum brakes up front were it's demise finally. They were not designed to smoothly slow down a car going 145mph into a corner and chattered and skipped which caused the car to spin and hit the fence. he used them because he was short on money. He used the disc brakes, from a Tempest, in the rear on the trans axle. That is a leaf spring in the front end witch also has small coil over shocks inboard. The fuel tank is a big old bladder like they used on fighters and helicopters in the war. Not encased in anything. He did come back to Indy a year or two more buy finally gave up and just stuck with stock car racing. Great mind, inventor and character.

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr jsm

What a great subject, I think your neighbor has the right man on the job! Stellar Work there OS.
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image Some more done.
Posted Image
Posted Image

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great Subject!!!!

pecce fbr B)
Ed K

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice works. jsm
Michel Maheu

nascarrocks
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That car is on display at the National Corvette Museum. Saw it last yr when there in August. Very cool car for sure to see up close
Mark Kelley

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
jsm
wnw
rlr
Ed K

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Killer fab work,will be watching this one :))) :)))
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

« Previous Topic · Open Wheel · Next Topic »
Add Reply