Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GHR 2016 SNRA Olds; Almost finished
Topic Started: Apr 5 2016, 09:18 PM (1,097 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Gohard Racing Crew has just about finished the 2016 entry and we are all glad. This thing has fought us from the start but we have overcome the problems but are pretty happy with the outcome. We placed as many components as we could at or below CGH and move as much as we could to the left side. They are kind of hard to see in the photos but the car wears skirts all around and I will explain the reason shortly. We still have our old pal E.R. along as our main sponsor and the car wears the Meadow Gold logo as last season. This will be the last car to wear that brand as E.R. is phasing out that label here so next year it will be one of his other Dairy Brands.

The radiator lays forward and is mounted low. Water is 8 pounds per gallon and this puts 48 pounds below the cars CHG. Figuring fuel and oil, the dry sump tank is 29 pounds in front of the left rear tire and fuel is 132 pounds behind the left rear at or below the CGH also giving us a great left side weight %.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice, really liking all the innovations you have put into the Olds. B)
Kevin

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now to try and explain the skirts on the lower body work and why they are there is explained in this photo.

Nope! Thats not a Bat Thruster nor is it a jet exhaust. That is a Industrial Air Technology Corp. Turbine exhaust fan. Its designed to move large volumes of air. That is the reason for the skirts. The fan is powered from a gear box that is in turn powered from the back of the quick change rear. It connects with a small drive shaft much like what you would see on farm equipment. The skirts keep air from underneath the car and the fan draws out any that is there which lowers the air pressure. Confused yet? A one inch square column of air from ground level to the edge of the atmosphere weighs 14 pounds. Now when you lower the air pressure under the car, the pressure above the car is in a sense heavier giving downforce. When you think of the Square Inches under the car and do the math-----its just unbelievable. Now this is not a creation of ours, it has been done before and worked beautifully by a man named Gordon Murray. Guy was a genius. This is however the first time it has been applied to a stocker.

Here is the gear box and pulleys on the rear of the quick change. The small drive shaft is not installed yet but it has u-joints so it can float with the rear end movement. Now that I have everyone totally confused, we will post more pics later as we finish up our Olds "Aerotech"
Posted ImagePosted Image
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is the car that gave us the idea for this concept. The beautiful Brabham BT46B Alfa F1 car of 1978. Ironic that this car carried a Dairy Products Sponsor and a Driver from Vienna Austria------Same as our 2016 "Aerotech Olds".

Posted Image
Richard Nixon

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very original. :))) Shows a high level of skill. fbr Wouldn't want to follow that thing. :P Historically, every vacuum cleaner has been outlawed. :unsure:

PS. In order to make it work, you need a skirt in the rear. It would also be more efficient, and safer for following cars, to exhaust the air upward. Previous vacuum cleaners did not have the room to do this. Finally, your fans will never survive on a dirt track.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe, however if you will research the BT46B, you will find the FIA ruled the car LEGAL for the entire season. The car owner, Bernie Ecclestone pulled the car of his own free will. Yes, it worked and everyone whined and cried but it was Legal. Bernie was the president of the Formula One Constructors Association and everyone threatened to pull their support. He wanted to be in control of the FOCA and have a little leverage over the FIA so he did as they wanted. Thats not banned nor outlawed. Whats wrong with a little innovative interpretation of the rules?? You don't race cars really, you race the rule book.
Richard Nixon

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In 1979 the FIA labeled the fan used by the BT46B as a “moveable aerodynamic device” and therefore banning it for good.

Side skirts and any type of ground effects were banned in F1 in 1983.

Now if they would just ban wings and limit tires to 12" wide, we could see real race driving skills again.

Has a checkered past.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is not F1, it is the SNRA. I can do as Bernie and pull the car if that is where this is headed. Del Hoyt will be around, he is in a 1980's relic and I am sure that car will pass with no problems.
Richard Nixon

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm not saying it should be banned. The fans won't affect the rolling of the dice nor the drawing from a hat. sleepy Just like Bipolar and Unsafe at Any Speed have found out in the Southern Fryed Drag Tour.

Has a checkered past.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...I am in awe with what you did with the Olds and can appreciate what you have came up with fbr ....brings back some fond memories of what we where doing on the dirt with the Late Models ...sans the rear fan....back in the early 80's with the side skirts and front air dam ...I now wonder if the F1 cars from the late 70's is where who ever got the idea for the Late Models in the early 80's .?.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you Brian. I have enjoyed this project and found some very interesting reading in the research process. I have no doubt that the short track guys in the 70's and 80's were looking very close at the F1 and Indy car crowd. Or at least, the short track and stock car guys that understood air. There is a whole list of names that you and I both know that all spoke the same words--"Air is Free". You and IAracefan seem to like it and thats good enough for me. I have not been asked but the "Fan" (and by the way, there is just ONE. Not "Fans" as some have referred to it) was made from a couple of wheels from my parts junk. A deep wheel back and a Turbine style wheel with the back sanded to show the blades. What you see on the outside is bits of plastic and a rod to form the shaft and diffusers. It took about 30 min. to make from a reference photo. My choice of kits could have been better, this one was molded in yellow and I didn't think I would ever keep the color from bleeding through. Duplicolor Primer helped with that. My Testors Primer acted like it was scared of the yellow. When I get all the skirts hung and this thing completed I will post up more photos. There was also a question as to the fan being able to survive a dirt track. With todays metals and materials, there are exhaust fans in industrial applications that survive Rice Dust, Oat Flour, Frack Material dust and Granite dust so I have no doubt the things would survive longer than the doubters. But what the heck do we know? We're just hillbillies from Podunkville.
Richard Nixon

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Can he do that?? Just got my pontiac out of paint shop.Now it's back to
weld more on doors,lefty if you blow my doors,I'll I'll you best!
wow great build and background.Hope to get with photo dept and get entry sent.Has any one seen Annie flatbottom,our transport driver,reports say see run off with Jock Lablur driver of Danny Boy's transport.Please make her send
transport back!May have to go with 358c.i. and not the 355c.i.?? .?. .?. ;bb;

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
boy,that Hillwilliam engineering degree helped not to break the rules, But
you bent the heck out off them.Ron Rednecksi our engineer is working hard,if we mount a plow like wing to front,feels we can still draft.(course he belives a lot of things.) wnw

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
DTDave, tell 'ol Ron that the cowcatcher nose is the way to go, but its a no-no in the rules. Just skirt the bottom of the nose like our olds and it will help a bit. It will keep the air from under your car where you don't want it. I have not seen or heard any info on Annie Flatbottom but I could ask Heckpussy LeFlamme about her. He is just full of odd-ball information.

There was a well known racer named Junior Johnson that once said: "If you ain't Winnin', you ain't cheat in' enough". Smokey Yunick called it Inovative Interpretation of the rules. I follow his method, Read the rules a few times and learn what is there. Then go back and read them for what's NOT there and then build your car. Us Hillbillies have not done one thing the rules say we can't. But you can bet yer best set of Goodyears there will be something in the rules next year about it. I sometime think part of the technical section of our rules is written just for us. We're Honored. Most of it is a head game really. While the rest scramble around and whine and complain and whizz and moan, they are not working on their car but you are. When race day comes you are dialed in and they are not. You end up beating them and have nothing more than what they do, you just have all your T's crossed and I's dotted. You guys will do fine, we will help if you need it.

Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, ol Lefty found a loophole alright, but as Wisdonm said, better turn that thing off on a dirt track, we have 6 this year out of the 15. :P :lol:

If you do want to try it on dirt though, especially at Hillsborough, the SNRA is mandating you put a screen over the opening to prevent large dirt clods from funneling through and damaging competitors cars, at least for as many laps as it takes before it pushes Brenneke up the track and into the wall, not too many I'd say! r:r

Good looker anyway. :)))
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think you are looking for a complaint that does not exist. The exit air from the fan is less than 50 MPH and it does not come out in a column, it is radial. But alas, we know the draw of the cards and roll of the dice. Us Hillbillies don't expect an exceptional hand or roll, We're not from Wisconsin or Canada. r:r
Richard Nixon

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
say Lefty,ole rednecksi wants to know if you have 2 fans?thinks he can mount one in trunk and near engine for ground efects!! Wants build special asphalt car now .think better stay with dads '50's way of changing shocks,springs,tires.to run both tracks. ..//.. :unsure:

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
LMAO!!!!!!! DT, just tell Ol Rednecks to just flair the leading edge of the fenders and add some skirts and you guys will do just fine.

Heckpussy said the last he heard, Annie was in Chapleau Ontario Canada. Should you talk to her before he does send her his way, she is the one that sold him the one of a kind ball bearing collection that has him in a bind.
Richard Nixon

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The GHR Olds is finished, finally. The Crew is happy, the driver is happy and I think I have a cramp in my brain from thinking about this wind wagon. I'm not sure but I think we are the first team in SNRA history to have restrictions placed on the car before the season starts or before even being entered. Now thats Comedy!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Richard Nixon

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's some good stuff right there. fant
Kevin

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Geez Lefty, that isn't a restriction, that's an addition! r:r At least I'm paying attention, and congratulating your ingenuity, that makes me different from little France right there! r:r
And remember, most of the reality within the SNRA comes out of my brain. :))) Yeah I know! :P But whatever you add to or do with that to make your own reality is up to you. :lol:
Man, I've been in school too long I think.
Did you get your Crew Chief of the year award yet? I should have waited until this year, though you should have put in two blowers and made it look like that one Chapparel from around 1970 though I think that s--ked rather than bl-w, no pun intended. LOL

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gosh Chucky6, it neither S…. or Bl…, it changes atmospheric pressure under the car. Just so you know, GHR really has no interest in setting this car on dirt at all. The same goes as last year I am guessing, Dirt car and Pavement car???? Our dirt car does not use this system. Have no fear, we have not given you the "France" label………..yet. You are getting close to the "Helton" award though.

Yes, I got the award, I placed it next to my E.R. baseball I got last year and worlds greatest loser ribbon he gave me. I myself and the crew are proud of the SNRA award but E.R. has not said a word. We know we won't get any good comments out of that crotchety old sot, we just take his money and are happy with that. The award makes up for his sour mood. Is your Civic…..er I mean, race car finished?
Richard Nixon

AussieMick
[ * ]
Wow, that's quite the war wagon you've built yourself there Lefty! Beautiful job there mate! I really like the cow on the hood!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefty, Oh gosh no. Barely started. The subassemblies are getting there, parts all cleaned up, no painting yet, but there are a couple of cars we can take out'a the AMB racing museum that we can use in the first few races if we run into trouble, probably a nice 87 T-Bird I don't think anyone has seen here yet. The one under construction though, its actually a 92 Cutlass! :))) No fan except in front of the engine though. Lafontaine isn't quite sophisticated enough to engineer that stuff yet, mostly he walks around looking at the vending machine like this rrr, instead of being interested in the car (except for peeing on the tires and wheels).r:r
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS ASPHALT · Next Topic »
Add Reply