Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vuckovich 78C Supermodified; 1/8th scale scratch build
Topic Started: Mar 29 2016, 03:59 PM (902 Views)
Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image So here one I am just finishing up. !/8 scale as always and scratch built. I used to watch this car race at Masa Marin In Bakersfield California back in the late 80s. Billy Vuckovich the 3rd drove there and in Phoenix on the mile for the Copper World Classics.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rrr rrr rrr
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've always considered these among the most dramatically beautiful race cars ever conceived. Can't get enough of 'em. Great modeling. Absolutely nails the look with tons of superb detail to hold the interest.
Keep on buildin'

Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Fantastic replica build Old Sprinter. wnw wnw

Bob

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Nice job ,I always wanted to build a super :)))

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Outstanding fab work! :))) wnw

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernard Kron,Mar 29 2016
06:03 PM
I've always considered these among the most dramatically beautiful race cars ever conceived. Can't get enough of 'em. Great modeling. Absolutely nails the look with tons of superb detail to hold the interest.

I could not agree more,Bernard. I raced these things in the 70s when they were more like a sprint car and they have evolved into something, I feel, that is better than today's Indy cars. Not near as high tech, of course, but nearly as fast at least on a mile oval track. When they ran these cars in Phoenix for the Copper World Classic, every year, the supers would have qualified mid pack with the Indy cars than ran those same years. This type of racing has, unfortunately fizzled out on the west coast and trying to make a come back, but they are alive and strong in the eastern states.

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
carl,Mar 30 2016
09:09 AM
:))) Nice job ,I always wanted to build a super :)))

If you ever want to build one in 1/8th scale I sell plans, I drew for a couple of different ones. The cool thing about these is they are mostly all different not like today's sprint cars and midgets.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old Sprinter,Mar 31 2016
12:42 PM
...The cool thing about these is they are mostly all different not like today's sprint cars and midgets.

Besides the brutally literal solution to weight distribution these cars show, along with a great sensitivity to more modern racing car technologies (are these the greatest tube chassis cars ever built, or what!!!!), it's the fact that they are all so unique when you see them that grabs me. That's something I'm sure we all miss in this modern age of spec chassis, spec engine and check book racing teams. I know that's one reason I choose to model the racing cars that I do. And this model sure does push my buttons!
Keep on buildin'

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernard Kron,Mar 31 2016
05:17 PM

Besides the brutally literal solution to weight distribution these cars show, along with a great sensitivity to more modern racing car technologies (are these the greatest tube chassis cars ever built, or what!!!!), it's the fact that they are all so unique when you see them that grabs me. That's something I'm sure we all miss in this modern age of spec chassis, spec engine and check book racing teams. I know that's one reason I choose to model the racing cars that I do. And this model sure does push my buttons!

Well put there Bernard!
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernard Kron,Mar 31 2016
04:17 PM
Old Sprinter,Mar 31 2016
12:42 PM
...The cool thing about these is they are mostly all different not like today's sprint cars and midgets.

I am with you buddy. Todays racing is so different in regards to the cars. We all know why it has become that way, money and car count. I guess we might not be seeing anything race if something wasn't done to control cost so more guys or teams could make the program. I get it but hate it. I have been around and involved in racing all my life and will always cherish the days when you could build your own car with your own ideas conforming to some rules and go race it. The whole tube chassis and suspension thing is my favorite part of any race car. Supermodifieds are the last frontier in innovative cars and it is fading fast. Oswego has some of the best in the country but lately they all look alike for the most part and it is all but dead in the west.
mm1

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Finished.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!
jsm wnw
Ed K

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Sweet model!!!

When Vuki (Billy Vukovich III) was driving that car the team had a crew member whose only job was to prepare the food for the rest. They were dominant until we showed up. 73c. We beat them repeatedly with the Fresno Ferrari. Brad Gattie's car with John Ryals at the wheel. So I'll share some of my pics from that experience for reference and inspiration for the rest of you guys.

Here is the Gattie car at Saugus Speedway where we just won the Trophy Dash.
Owner Brawlin'Brad Gattie in the red jacket and jeans by the right front wheel, Wally Pankratz standing in front in the red driving suit and me in the cockpit.
Posted Image

In this pic I'm driving the car back to our pit.
Posted Image

Rodeck block aluminum Chevy built by Bob Andrews Race Engines (BARE). Same for both cars. From 410 to 450ci.

Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Then over the winter we rebuilt the 73c at John Ryals shop in Van Nuys, CA. And that was when it got the nickname Fresno Ferrari.
Posted Image

At Mesa Marin outside of Bakersfield.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Great that Vukovich got the chance to step up to Indy cars like his dad and grandpa. Terrible shame that he then died at Mesa Marin in 1990 in a pavement sprinter.

Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

« Previous Topic · Open Wheel · Next Topic »
Add Reply