Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2016 Season - Thrashing
Topic Started: Mar 21 2016, 03:51 PM (1,788 Views)
Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Well, the 2016 season is again upon us and I am sticking to my guns......procrastinators, unite tomorrow! Just a few quick photos to share of my two new builds for the 2016 season, that we have been thrashing away on the last couple of weeks.

The first is an offset pro late model chassis (very modified revell ASA chassis) and the second is a full perimeter chassis (scratch built, but with an under-slung design vs. over the tail rear clip)

Hope to have both near completion in the next two weeks, in prep for the opener at the Nashville Fairgrounds (fictional....just to keep the fun in it, and more importantly, a target date for completion)

More photos to follow as we progress...thanks for taking the time to view.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) That is some really fine looking chassis work. And a good selection of Chevy's piled up like cordwood. j/k Nice little diorama, but doesn't leave a whole lot of working space. devil
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr fbr fbr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A little tight but you are showing a lot of quality builds in a small space.
Very nicely done! :))) :)))

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Guys....thanks for taking the time to view, and more importantly for the positive feedback. My goal is to better organize our shop in the near future, after we complete the new cars for 2016.

We made some progress last night, starting with the interior sheet metal, spindles, rear end, fuel cell, seat, and steering wheel.

More thrashing tonight, as we target the finish of interior sheet metal with dash and gages.

Have a look.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Liking the look of that chassis!!!!!!! Nice shop too!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

grm1018
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great job there !!! Keep up the hard work :))) :))) :)))
Gordon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
jsm jsm jsm That is some great work Jason. So happy to have you back this year! :)))
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like a pretty busy shop there Jason.
You have a good supply of "spares."

:))) :)))
Jim

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks again guys for taking the time to view and compliments, does mean a ton coming from the pool of build experts that make up SRL.

We have made some progress in which I hope to capture and post photos of in the next day, on the cars that is......not so much organization of the shop. Ha!

Jason

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Hey gang...posting a couple of photos demonstrating some of the latest progress with both the straight rail and perimeter late model chassis.

We are still debating the idea of the perimeter chassis being our 2016 SNRA entry, as we are throwing something new at this chassis with the under-slung design vs. the standard over the tail rear clip. And, we still need to verify that it first complies with the 2016 SNRA rule book?

Take a look when you have the chance....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
A few more photos....do note that we are taking pointers from Jr. Hanley, and going with the raw metal finished look given the time constraints for completion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
And lastly, new skin for the straight rail chassis....many thanks to Gator (AKA: Jackie Sims). I highly recommend trying out his bodies, as he puts out some sleek panels.

Our plan is to finish up the window and decal work the next couple of days, and who knows....we've put decals on at the track before, would not be the first time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

grm1018
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) very nice. Is that primer or are you going to the other end of the color spectrum ? From white to black ? Great pictures Jason !!! jsm .z. flg2
Gordon

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Gordo....yes sir, we are going black this year as a change from our dull ole boring white. But to be honest, our white in the past has been a result of my honed skill with being a seasoned procrastinator along with a bit of ease. Ha!

The chassis, I actually used a rustoleum metal finish in efforts to gain that "bare metal" look. Was somewhat pleased with the outcome.

More photos with different angles of the body.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

grm1018
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice !!!! I am going to stick with my white again this season.Love the graphics in my case to pop with the white color . take care rrr
fant brvo
Gordon

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Racin' J, I am liking that perimeter chassis Late Model. I see some of the latest ideas used with your coil overs. Ya been using the old brain building that one I can tell. I like the straight frame car too but I doubt you will be able to push that one through tech. However, YOU are not ME and there may not be anything mentioned about it. Give it a try! It would be interesting to see how a coil-spring ground effect car compares to a coil-over weight bias car on the track. Since we are only modelers we can only ponder that thought. The season won't really tell us since we have to go with the dice rolling and the draw out of the hat and whatever comes out of Dave's Pumpkin. Good job on these rides, it shows you were thinking about lots of different important areas when you built them. Keep it up and good luck this season!!
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Lefty...thanks for the positive feedback, means a ton after viewing some of your builds sir.

Highly doubtful that we could get the straight-rail last model through Dave's room of doom (tech), but then again you just never know with how busy that guy is these days with school and coaching....he might not ever see us coming. Ha! Do respect Dave and his rule book, he gives all of us builders a fair shake with most ideas presented. But, I am still very curious to hear of the outcome around your primary ride for this year?!?

Actually, we are only looking to run the straight-rail at some of the local tracks around the southeast, and focus the perimeter chassis for SNRA and possibly a few limited late model shows at the Nashville Fairgrounds. My only hang up at present with the idea of this being our primary SNRA entry, is finding a 99-ish body to fit as my original plan was to dress her up in another GATOR skin (ABC template body). More to follow as we ponder other options. Much like yourself, I have a couple older chassis(s) sitting around the shop to fall back on if needed.

Also working on some options on how far I can move the engine back in the perimeter chassis, as I allowed for more distance when building this winter. We will probably play with a few distances with lowering a back-up motor while in the shop tonight. The coil-over concept is something that I have wanted to try for some time now, in addition to the under-slung design. And as you can appreciate, I have already made note of somethings that I would have done different...such as shorten the overall rear clip. Upon review of the photos I posted and a couple of glances later, its obvious that we might have taken it out too far.

More to follow as we near completion on both.

Jason

dirttrackdave
dirttrackdave
[ *  *  * ]
Wow!!You need to do a how to on building the 2 chassis for the 2 model car
magazines, Can't find words except if 1:1, car would be most safe car on track.
yes Jackie Sims build great bodies,did not know they were for sale again. wnw jsm

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Well, we made it to one of the local tracks for a test and tune session (Highland Rim). Notice how we are going old school this year with the old box truck and open trailer. Unfortunately we no longer have our plush hauler, as the owner loaned it out to an ARCA team this year. Hope to land an enclosed trailer soon enough though, in efforts to keep our ride out of the rain and inclement weather.

The car handled well and was strong during the test and tune session, with only a few minor adjustments prior to race day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Race day ready, decals added at the track just as expected...we ran second with the brakes going away at the end of the 125 laps. A good start, we know what's needed to be competitive for the next race.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for viewing...
Jason

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Racin Jason,
To coin a phrase that our resident sage Lefty, must have used at some time in the past,
The perimeter frame car will slide through tech by about "the width of a hair off a cat's butt!" r:r r:r r:r
Great work as always. rrr

Only one potential issue you must pay attention to when you post this as an official entry, that body better be listed as "99 Ford Taurus" or you are too new for the rules. The rear window shape is not quite correct for the first year of the Taurus, it should be an oval shape, however, it probably was ok at the time per ABC body templates. Because we love you, that too slides through by the width of a hair off a cat's butt, it sure wouldn't make it if it was a cat's whisker that we were talking about! :)))
Dave B. Commish and fellow racer.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Taurus???? I fail to see any Blue Oval in that body. Looks like a Monte to me. By the way, the phrase is "Thinner than a split frog hair split twice." I remember you mentioned working up a Fusion. If, and only if that is planned for the series, you best drop the questions about this one. You would be about 6 years out of the limits. Keep going Racin' J, I like it.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No Lefty, the Fusion is NOT for this series! r:r Thurderchicken is in for the duration.
Now, the only way to identify Jason's car is by the rear side windows, they look like a Taurus, not a Monte.
Anyway, its up .?. up to Jason to let us know for sure. If its anything newer than a 99 Taurus it is Ill legale for the 2016 SNRA.

Dave B.

Thanks for the correction on the frog's hair split, oh whatever. :))) It's a close call, I'm sure Jason will know what to do.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Ouch fellas...that one hurt, with referring to our ride as the F-Bomb (FORD). Ha, all jokes aside I would have to admit to being a GM supporter through the years. My old man retired from GM and that put food on the table growing up, so therefore I continue to support GM products. That being said, I do respect all makes though as it adds to the variety for viewing.

Really do like how both Lefty and Dave are keeping me honest with the build though, as well as the much appreciated creative flex in the rule book. Lol

But to be honest, we are still up in the air in regards to entering our new perimeter chassis as the primary SNRA ride.

I continue to struggle with the idea of a new ABC modern day template body and trying to justify it as a 1999 make.

Our straight rail included in the most recent photos has the ABC template body and advertised as a 2016 Chevrolet SS.

More to come hopefully this weekend, as we get back to executing on a plan.

Stay tuned...one thing is for certain, we will be in the mix this year.

Jason

Racin Jason
[ *  *  * ]
Oh yeah...and to both Lefty and Dave, compliments on your individual SNRA entries for this year.

Lefty, really enjoy the way you added some reality to your entries this year with having two rides (primary and dirt) along with the separate #73 entry. The team theme for the #1 cars has a nice touch to it, and screams short track racing. Still cannot wait to see your Olds creation in action, both in tech and on the track (even if it is only a result of the draw). All of your builds that I have had the pleasure viewing so far, are always well thought out from a technical perspective and include much detail.

And Dave, the thunder chicken is a slick piece for certain. Really like the paint scheme that you dressed it up with. Your hand lettering is as solid as they come, and takes us all back to the pre-decals and pre-wraps days. Despite the busy schedule that you keep, your steady hand is spot on with hand lettering. But, I will have to admit that it was somewhat surprising to see you in something else that is not MOPAR.

Its going to be an enjoyable SNRA season given all the entries so far, just happy to finally be part of it again.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS ASPHALT · Next Topic »
Add Reply