Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Famous Ford GT
Topic Started: Feb 26 2016, 01:56 PM (309 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Without going into too much history here, I will clear up a few misconceptions about this famous car. The first 12 prototypes built in late 1963 and 1964 were called Ford GT MKI and were built in the UK using the Ford 255 cube engine. Some were later upgraded to the 289 cube engine and a couple were fitted with the same engine used in the Lotus at Indy. It was not until the 1965 and 1966 MKII versions were they called "GT 40's". The MKII GT's were fitted with the 427 and even though they shared much with the MKI version, they were modified some by Shelby American and Holman Moody to accept the large engine. The MKII is the version that won Le Mans in 1966. The 1967 winner is the MKIV which shares nothing with the other variants. It was built and developed entirely in the US. Then comes John Wyer in 68 and 69 with the old style MKI GT with upgraded body panels front and rear and with a 302. That MKI is the only chassis in history to win Le Mans twice.

OK, so where am I going with this? It clears up some confusion with the kits used in this project. Plus, this whole rant will give the reader a chance to make the choice of building one of these kits and NOT making the same mistakes I did or pass it up.

I used two early IMC kits on this build. The first release of the MKI
Posted Image
And the later release of the 68-69 GT40 which is really the old MKI with some changes.
Posted Image

I had a started MKI kit and an incomplete GT40 kit to start this project. Other than the different wheels/tires and front and rear body work of the GT40, both kits are the same.

Posted Image
After a lot of detail work, getting parts to fit and line up this is the point where I started to make my mistakes. I was happy with the result so far but I wasn't ready for what was to come.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
After all the work and checking, this is the best fit I could get with the body panels.

I found that the most important part of this assembly was the fit of the rear firewall and the front firewall. Even though the front dash/firewall is attached at the location points provided, it needs to be more forward for a good fit. Since the roof panel is attached with 5 minute epoxy, it is impossible to remove it and make adjustments without destroying the whole thing. This is where I made the decision to just display this thing with the panels open. I have seen some of these kits built in the past and the panel fit was just fine. What grinds my gears is a friend on only his fourth model in his life, built one of these and the fit is spot on. I have done hundreds of kits and my fit looks like it was done by a third grader. I don't blame the kit, I blame myself for this and maybe assorted parts from 40+year old kits. I still have a mint MKI kit and I think I will build it. This time I will use parts from the same issue kit and I think I will be fine. This one really does not represent any GT since the front body work is wrong and the rear lacks the large flairs that were on the 68-69 version. If you have the chance to build one of these I say do so. Just take lots of time with mock-ups before you commit to gloo!!!!!!!! If its authentic you are looking for, I say go for one of the Revell/Fujimi MKII GT40's. They have no engine detail but look fantastic. Here is a pic with panels open for display. I will just have to be happy with this.

Posted ImagePosted Image

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) rlr fbr :)))

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
rlr Love these old IMC kits!

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The GT is definitely a slick and sleek auto! I say you still did a great job, especially on a 40+ year old car. I would assume that the manufacturing process back then wasn't as precise as it is on "most" models today. I see nothing wrong with displaying it as you said you were with the panels off. Still a great job! :)))
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Under T. I have seen this kit built in the past and the builders had really good panel fit. I think that my using the roof from the first issue of the GT and doors and nose from the later release from 69 or 70 is what got me in trouble. And my not paying attention when I glued everything down. I don't think the later release parts are as crisp as the one from 64 or 65 but but by that time IMC was about to go away. I will build more of these and I learn something new each time. When you get one right, it looks super.

« Previous Topic · SPORTS CARS · Next Topic »
Add Reply